D'Olier

Default Rough floor tiling

When I removed my bathroom carpet for tiling, I noticed a couple of pretty
uneven areas in the concrete; especially around the toilet. There's no way
I could lay the tiles as it is. Any suggestions on what to do? I don't
have to re-cement the entire floor or anything like that do I?

Thanks.

Paul

RB

To paraphrase Slick Willie, "It all depends on what rough is." If you
have areas that are below the level of the primary floor surface they
need to be filled in. If they're not too deep and large this could be
done by troweling in a bit of tile setting mortar and letting it set for
a few hours, or over night. If they are large I'd do the same thing and
then place a shear membrane over the surface. If the floor is proud of
the primary floor elevation you will need to chip or grind off the high
spots.

Above all else remember that the quality of your tile job is directly
impacted by the quality of the substrate. You can't "fix" problems as
you are laying tile. Prep work is important.

RB

"D'Olier" wrote in message ...
When I removed my bathroom carpet for tiling, I noticed a couple of pretty
uneven areas in the concrete; especially around the toilet. There's no way
I could lay the tiles as it is. Any suggestions on what to do? I don't
have to re-cement the entire floor or anything like that do I?

Thanks.

Paul

Try a leveling compound like Flexcote.