Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hinge Question

Hello,

I wish to move a bathroom door to the other side.

So, I will have to also re-position the 3 hinges, and
find a way to make them "flush" into the wood.

A Router would certainly do the job nice and cleanly, but I don't have
one. Would like to avoid having to buy one just for this work.

Are there any tricks or techniques that would work in cutting out the
indentation to have the hinge flush ?

Or, is a Router pretty much the only way to do it neatly ?

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2016 8:34 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

I wish to move a bathroom door to the other side.

So, I will have to also re-position the 3 hinges, and
find a way to make them "flush" into the wood.

A Router would certainly do the job nice and cleanly, but I don't have
one. Would like to avoid having to buy one just for this work.

Are there any tricks or techniques that would work in cutting out the
indentation to have the hinge flush ?

Or, is a Router pretty much the only way to do it neatly ?

Before the router, there were these things called chisels. Skilled
woodworkers could use them to cut away the wood of the door jamb to
inset the hinges. Some still use them. I've used them in the past.
You know the goal, just take your time and do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 9:34:55 AM UTC-5, Bob wrote:
Hello,

I wish to move a bathroom door to the other side.

So, I will have to also re-position the 3 hinges, and
find a way to make them "flush" into the wood.

A Router would certainly do the job nice and cleanly, but I don't have
one. Would like to avoid having to buy one just for this work.

Are there any tricks or techniques that would work in cutting out the
indentation to have the hinge flush ?

Or, is a Router pretty much the only way to do it neatly ?

Thanks,
Bob

YouTube is your friend. Here is just one of many hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqiYGQnwafY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob writes:
Hello,

I wish to move a bathroom door to the other side.

So, I will have to also re-position the 3 hinges, and
find a way to make them "flush" into the wood.

A Router would certainly do the job nice and cleanly, but I don't have
one. Would like to avoid having to buy one just for this work.

Are there any tricks or techniques that would work in cutting out the
indentation to have the hinge flush ?

In the old days, a chisel would have been used by a craftsman, or
possibly a Stanley #71/#271 (or clone) router plane.

A butt-gauge can be used to mark the outline of the hinge.

Be very careful to cut the mortises (that's what the indentation
is called) square and aligned vertically on the jamb.

https://www.amazon.com/Gauge-Butt-3i.../dp/B00002NB5D
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 09:34:53 -0500, Bob wrote:

Hello,
I wish to move a bathroom door to the other side.
So, I will have to also re-position the 3 hinges, and
find a way to make them "flush" into the wood.
A Router would certainly do the job nice and cleanly, but I don't have
one. Would like to avoid having to buy one just for this work.
Are there any tricks or techniques that would work in cutting out the
indentation to have the hinge flush ?
Or, is a Router pretty much the only way to do it neatly ?
Thanks,
Bob

Chisel.
Do a google search - there are lots of DIY web sites
with instructions, tips & tricks, even videos.
Do a few practice mortises on scrap wood to get
the feel of things.
Carefully mark and deeply score the outline with a razor knife
first - rather than just a pencil line.

quick examples - you will probably find better ones if you search.
http://www.todayshomeowner.com/video...with-a-chisel/

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/change-...ens-29132.html

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/switch-...ing-42641.html

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/08/2016 07:34 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

I wish to move a bathroom door to the other side.

So, I will have to also re-position the 3 hinges, and
find a way to make them "flush" into the wood.

A Router would certainly do the job nice and cleanly, but I don't have
one. Would like to avoid having to buy one just for this work.

Are there any tricks or techniques that would work in cutting out the
indentation to have the hinge flush ?

Or, is a Router pretty much the only way to do it neatly ?

Chisels got the job done for centuries.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/08/2016 02:34 PM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

I wish to move a bathroom door to the other side.

So, I will have to also re-position the 3 hinges, and
find a way to make them "flush" into the wood.

A Router would certainly do the job nice and cleanly, but I don't have one. Would like to avoid having to buy one just for this work.

Are there any tricks or techniques that would work in cutting out the
indentation to have the hinge flush ?

Or, is a Router pretty much the only way to do it neatly ?

Thanks,
Bob

Don't know your situation but sometimes it's easier to install a new pre-hung door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 19:27:16 -0700, rbowman wrote:

On 11/08/2016 07:34 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

I wish to move a bathroom door to the other side.

So, I will have to also re-position the 3 hinges, and
find a way to make them "flush" into the wood.

A Router would certainly do the job nice and cleanly, but I don't have
one. Would like to avoid having to buy one just for this work.

Are there any tricks or techniques that would work in cutting out the
indentation to have the hinge flush ?

Or, is a Router pretty much the only way to do it neatly ?

Chisels got the job done for centuries.

If the door is actually made out of wood, then a chisel would be the
way to go. If it is composite material, a router is your best choice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 9:34:55 AM UTC-5, Bob wrote:
Hello,

I wish to move a bathroom door to the other side.

So, I will have to also re-position the 3 hinges, and
find a way to make them "flush" into the wood.

A Router would certainly do the job nice and cleanly, but I don't have
one. Would like to avoid having to buy one just for this work.

Are there any tricks or techniques that would work in cutting out the
indentation to have the hinge flush ?

Or, is a Router pretty much the only way to do it neatly ?

Thanks,
Bob

Here's a decent choice that will work for this job and many others:

$70 without the plunge base, $95 with. If you are going to spend the $70,
spend the $95. It's well worth it.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...30_router.html