m Ransley

Default electrician overcharged me!

I had a plumber out, same thing , he pulls out a book to quote me a 500
price for what i later paid 210. Scammers.

Mary Shafer

On Wed, 19 May 2004 05:15:54 GMT, "Snoop Drew"
wrote:

I don't think someone who has 30 years of professional experience would say
that $783 is "reasonable" for installing three GFCI outlets, with no new
wires to be run.

i have no one to blame but myself, but do i have any recourse? Can't i just
call the guy to complain and ask for a partial refund? Or can I really win
in small claims?

Call him and ask for a partial refund. If you don't ask for it, you
won't get it.

Forget small claims court. The Supreme Court has held that
advertising claims don't have to be strictly true.

Don't take the advice to stop payment on the check or anything. The
electrician can put a mechanic's lien on your house that will prevent
you from refinancing or selling it if you do so. It's a lot easier
for him to put the lien on than it is for you to get it cleared.

Mary

zxcvbob

wrote:

[...]

How 'bout calling the IBEW and complaining to them? Say you were
charged $700 for one hour of labor and $20 worth of materials (and by
whom), and you're gonna talk to the local TV station's investigative
reporter about it. Peer pressure might can work for you here. I don't
think any tradesmen want their fixed rate price book exposed to public
scrutiny.

Bob