Jeff08171972

Default new question on mold

There is a moldy, musty smell coming from our great room in the past
week. We cannot find any outward signs of mold, either in the room
itself or in the crwal/storage space that the room sits on. The room
is insulated, but we kept the heat off for most of the winter to avoid
heating costs (this was our first winter in the house, the previous
owners kept it heated all year as far as we know). We've seen no
signs of water or dampness (again, either in the room or underneath),
the only source of moisture I can think of is from the washer/dryer in
the hallway adjacent to the room -- but presumably there would be mold
close by?

Is it possible that mold is underneath the carpet? If so, does this
mean the carpet must be replaced? Does it also mean was must keep the
room heated in future winters?

Thanks,
Jeff
Terry

"Jeff08171972" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Presumably the dryer is vented outside. If not all that moisture has to
condense somewhere inside the house in cool areas. If that is your unheated
space; presto. Mould, rot, allergies etc.
Many pounds of water in those wet/damp clothes even after the spin
dryer/washer has done its best!
Read up about proper ventilation also. Even one person sleeping in a poorly
heated unventilated room can cause a significant amount of moisture from
their breath to condense within the room!