Rich Heimlich

Default Clicking Oven Relay sound.

We had your typical 25+ year-old GE double ovens that we just
replaced. The new oven uses the typical method of using a relay to
change elements to keep the temperature even.

The problem is that I hear this clicking all over the first floor of
my house. I cannot believe anyone would find this sort of clicking
acceptable. I fully understand that it's normal and that replacement
is pretty much a waste of time as the odds of getting a more quiet
relay is pretty slim.

However, I'm wondering about methods to possibly mute the sound. The
area behind the upper panel (where the relay must be given the origin
of the sound, clearly cannot be getting all that hot or else there'd
be a real problem. I was thinking about possibly adding some sort of
insulator around it or the panel to mute much of the sound.

Does anyone have any thinking on this idea? Do you think it would
work? If I did it, what would be the safest, yet possibly effective,
material to use?
Dave Harnish

Hi Rich,

I'd be careful with adding insulation in the control area. You run
the risk of voiding your warranty if anything should overheat and
fail after you make this modification. Most models are 'fussy'
about airflow. New Whirlpools have thermal fuses both on the
back and near the electronic control, and insulating the console
area may run the risk of blocking airflow and opening either one
of these.

But adding small rubber spacers/washers under the pcboard
mounting screws might be worth a try. Should at least tone the
noise down somewhat.

Please let me know how this plays out, bc I have a feeling we'll
be hearing about this one again.

God bless,

Dave Harnish
Dave's Repair Service
New Albany, PA
www.DavesRepair.com

570-363-2404

I'm a 32-year pro appliance technician, and love sharing what
I've learned - in a FREE Monthly Appliance Tips Newsletter.
(Back issues now posted here too!)
www.DavesRepair.com

John 14:6

"Rich Heimlich" wrote in message
[...]

jeff

Rich Heimlich wrote in message . ..

Hi,

We had your typical 25+ year-old GE double ovens that we just
replaced. The new oven uses the typical method of using a relay to
change elements to keep the temperature even.

The problem is that I hear this clicking all over the first floor of
my house. I cannot believe anyone would find this sort of clicking
acceptable. I fully understand that it's normal and that replacement
is pretty much a waste of time as the odds of getting a more quiet
relay is pretty slim.

Slim to nil....but -may- be worth a shot if still under the warranty
to see if another would be any quieter.

However, I'm wondering about methods to possibly mute the sound. The
area behind the upper panel (where the relay must be given the origin
of the sound, clearly cannot be getting all that hot or else there'd
be a real problem. I was thinking about possibly adding some sort of
insulator around it or the panel to mute much of the sound.

The control area getting hot HAS been a problem, many/most have a fan
to circulate air around in the control area to keep the controls cool,
some installations also ask for holes to be cut in the cabinet for
more air flow through the unit!

Does anyone have any thinking on this idea? Do you think it would
work? If I did it, what would be the safest, yet possibly effective,
material to use?

Ear muffs

Sorry,

jeff.