Ivan

Default H.D. green fibrous insulation

I was in HD today looking at insulation. I saw something new (to me). The
propaganda on a certain brand claimed it had extra "sound proofing"
qualities.
The product was green and seemed softer than the regular pink fiberglass
insulation. Not as soft as Charmin, but still softer and almost woolly.
Does anyone know about this brand? Would the sound proofing qualities be
that much more than pink fiberglass? I'm going to be stuffing insulation in
the joist cavities in a down stairs room.
Ivan

Joseph Meehan

Ivan wrote:
I was in HD today looking at insulation. I saw something new (to
me). The propaganda on a certain brand claimed it had extra "sound
proofing" qualities.
The product was green and seemed softer than the regular pink
fiberglass insulation. Not as soft as Charmin, but still softer and
almost woolly. Does anyone know about this brand? Would the sound
proofing qualities be that much more than pink fiberglass? I'm going
to be stuffing insulation in the joist cavities in a down stairs room.
Ivan

It appears it helps a little. Even standard insulation helps a little.

How happy you will be depends a lot of the type of the noise and the
construction. High frequencies and low frequency sounds don't react the
same.

Generally the best and cheapest answer is increased mass. An additional
layer of drywall is usually the biggest bang for the buck. Lead blankets
behind the drywall helps a great deal, but cost more. Isolation techniques
that provide a break from one surface to the other (like staggered studs or
isolation strips) can be very useful.

Often the problem is a result of the sound taking a short cut. Any air
to air connection is going to be a problem. Heating ducts and cold air
returns are a prime example. It is also important to consider that the
sound might find it easy to go up through the ceiling, across and down
through the ceiling in the next room.

Windows and doors are also common problems.

If the source is very local like a washing machine, that can often be
addressed directly.

Take a look at:

http://www.soundproofing.org/

For some ideas.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

SQLit

"Ivan" wrote in message
I was in HD today looking at insulation. I saw something new (to me).

The
propaganda on a certain brand claimed it had extra "sound proofing"
qualities.
The product was green and seemed softer than the regular pink fiberglass
insulation. Not as soft as Charmin, but still softer and almost woolly.
Does anyone know about this brand? Would the sound proofing qualities be
that much more than pink fiberglass? I'm going to be stuffing insulation

in
the joist cavities in a down stairs room.
Ivan

green stuff in small bales, right? it is cellulous, ground up newspaper
with a fire retardant.

I just had r-19 installed over the existing ~r-30 ish plus r-30 over the
garage which had nothing. It was cheaper to have some one do it than it was
to buy it at the home center.

Insulation works because of the air spaces. Tightly packed areas will not
insulate more than loosely packed.

As for the sound it will help some. depending on your situation, there is a
black fibrous board (4X8 sheets) that I have seen installed under drywall
that seems to help sound transmission.

Ivan

As for the sound it will help some. depending on your situation, there is
black fibrous board (4X8 sheets) that I have seen installed under drywall
that seems to help sound transmission.

Would that fibrous board be called "buffalo board"?

I remember meeting someone who saved all his drywall scraps and cut them
into pieces 3 1/2" wide. He laid them down inside the wall cavity as a
sound proofing method. I never did find out how that worked. I was
wondering if something similar would work inside the joist cavities. I
would never try anything this silly but I'm visualizing lining the joists
and bottom of the upper subflooring with drywall.

Ivan

Bob in CT

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 19:05:39 GMT, Art
wrote:

I lined a bathroom wall and ceiling with regular insulation. Did not
seem
to help at all with noise. Tinkle... tinkle..... tinkle flush!

You can search the internet for sound proofing techniques. One thing that
helps are metal channels that you connect to the studs and then to the
drywall -- this decouples the drywall from the studs somewhat. Better is
this and sound reducing insulation. Better is two walls, with the studs
offset. Better is two complete walls separated by an airspace. Search
for "sound transfer coeffiecient wall" or "STC wall".

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply

black fibrous board (4X8 sheets) that I have seen installed under drywall
that seems to help sound transmission.

Would that fibrous board be called "buffalo board"?

Or homasote soundboard.

I remember meeting someone who saved all his drywall scraps and cut them
into pieces 3 1/2" wide. He laid them down inside the wall cavity as a
sound proofing method. I never did find out how that worked. I was

Pure weight is a significant part of stopping sound, as is chopping up
any empty space into random-sized volumes.