Evan Mann

Default Re-piping a house

I need to re-pipe my house. I'm not looking to get a cost idea but some
input on the process. I have a FL home where all the copper piping is
through the slab. Most of the stuff I can see has green on it and I already
had 1 pipe with pinhole leaks. I've torn down 1 shower (for other reasons)
and I think it's now the right time to re-pipe. Pipes are 24 years old and
have lasted longer then one should expect for FL.

The house is wood on stucco construction with an attic you can crawl through
to everywhere. I understand the process involves running all new piping
throught he attic. Since I can't talk to plumber until tomorrow, I wa
shoping someone could answer me some questions:

1) Do they cap off the old pipes or just leave them open after they cut off
the old supply lines?

2) Can they re-pipe in stages? In particular, I need to have a functioning
shower. Guest shower is torn out, the other would have to have tile/wall
torn out. Could they repipe my guest shower and rest of the house excluding
my master shower, and then come back after my guest shower is re-tiled?
This would require leaving both supplylines (attic/slab) functioning to some
degree

3) Do they HAVE to cut channels in every wall to access the pipe? I don't
understand why that access is needed. If they can get into the attic and
drill a hole through the cap plate and then force pipe through the wall, can
they jnot just cut an opening to attach fittings under sinks and such? This
means a lot less visible wall to repair.

4) What type of things should I ask of a plumber about the process. I want
to be armed proper info and must know questions when they come quote me.

Speedy Jim

Evan Mann wrote:

I need to re-pipe my house. I'm not looking to get a cost idea but some
input on the process. I have a FL home where all the copper piping is
through the slab. Most of the stuff I can see has green on it and I already
had 1 pipe with pinhole leaks. I've torn down 1 shower (for other reasons)
and I think it's now the right time to re-pipe. Pipes are 24 years old and
have lasted longer then one should expect for FL.

The house is wood on stucco construction with an attic you can crawl through
to everywhere. I understand the process involves running all new piping
throught he attic. Since I can't talk to plumber until tomorrow, I wa
shoping someone could answer me some questions:

1) Do they cap off the old pipes or just leave them open after they cut off
the old supply lines?

Would be better to cap off but may be inconvenient...

2) Can they re-pipe in stages? In particular, I need to have a functioning
shower. Guest shower is torn out, the other would have to have tile/wall
torn out. Could they repipe my guest shower and rest of the house excluding
my master shower, and then come back after my guest shower is re-tiled?
This would require leaving both supplylines (attic/slab) functioning to some
degree.

No reason it couldn't be done. Requires some thinking ahead.
Make that requirement very specific in your request for quote.

3) Do they HAVE to cut channels in every wall to access the pipe? I don't
understand why that access is needed. If they can get into the attic and
drill a hole through the cap plate and then force pipe through the wall, can
they jnot just cut an opening to attach fittings under sinks and such? This
means a lot less visible wall to repair.

No good reason for a channel. You *do* have to have enough height
(clearance)
in the attic to drop a pipe (or tube) down. Along the eaves (outside
walls)
this can be tough.

4) What type of things should I ask of a plumber about the process. I want
to be armed proper info and must know questions when they come quote me.

If I were the homeowner, I would be very nervous about signing any
kind
of "open-ended" contract where total job cost and completion dates
were
left blank. If you have a reputable contractor you can trust, OK.
But if you don't know him, this kind of job can turn into a
homeowner's
nightmare.

Decide what pipe materials are to be used. Soft copper tubing is
easy
to install, so is plastic tubing (like PEX). PVC and CPVC are OK
but kind of rigid in tight spaces.

Specify things like shut off valves, how pipe is to be secured so it
does not make noises later. Spell out who is responsible for
repairing
damage to interior finish.

Will a permit be needed for the work? Specify who gets it and
whether
the contractor is to have liability insurance.

Best luck,
Jim