lbbs

Default Roxul Insulation any good for sound absorption?

anyone try this stuff to cut down on sound between two floors
(put in the ceiling between joist)? any good? Is it only good
for the lower bass sound? It sound this way according to this
web site, Maybe I am just reading this chart wrong. thanks

http://www.roxul.com.my/sw11880.asp

I am looking to take the edge off noise that travels though the ceiling.
The ceiling joist are open now. I want a quick and cheap fix for now.
What about putting pink insulation between the joist and leaving an air
gap below the sub flooring. Locally in Canada you can buy pink insulation
pre cut to fit between 16" spacing joist, so it is quick and easy to install
(just push it into place and it's done). Will that help to reduce the
noise at least
by 20% (to muffle the noise)? Also, will it be a problem with the fiber
glass
particles falling down and making the renters itchy (the fiber glass has
a sheet of paper on the bottom, so I assume that will not be a problem).

I have also heard of other products like QuietZone Acoustic Batts by
Owens Corning or 440 Sound Barrier. But I assume these products
are more expensive and harder to install. thanks.

Anyone out there actually try sound proofing with insulation, what were
your results?

Our renters have one room in the basement, right underneath the first
floor kitchen (bungalow house). The noise from the kitchen is fairly
loud in the mornings. Just wondering what material can I use to reduce
the noise from the ceiling. I want a solution that would not be too
expensive. What about putting the pink insulation between the joist and
then a drop ceiling. Would that cut down on the noise level or would the
difference not be significant? I suspect some of the noise travels through
the heating ducts, but I imagine there is no easy solution to that.

Jack Goldstein

Yes, Roxul is wonderful at reducing sound transmission. I have
used it on several renovations over the past 15 years.

Also, it cuts easier (use a bread knife), doesn't itch, doesn't
get waterlogged & doesn't burn.

lbbs wrote in message ...
[...]

Fixing loft boarding *through* insulation and derating cable. Mike Hall UK diy 11 January 9th 04 03:45 PM
Loft insulation David Hearn UK diy 26 November 10th 03 08:17 PM
Loft Insulation - Best Type and Tips for Installation L Reid UK diy 22 October 19th 03 10:26 PM