Mike L.

Default Vynal Siding Quality

I want to cover my house with vinyl siding.

Any suggestions as to where I can find the ratings on the various types and
brands, and what I need to look for?

Thanks

Joseph Meehan

Mike L. wrote:
I want to cover my house with vinyl siding.

Any suggestions as to where I can find the ratings on the various
types and brands, and what I need to look for?

Thanks

Consumer Reports magazine did a report on them in the last year I
believe. Check at the library.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Greg

"Mike L." wrote in message news:4IF2c.12374$oP.10604@lakeread03...

I want to cover my house with vinyl siding.

Any suggestions as to where I can find the ratings on the various
types and brands, and what I need to look for?

Thanks

"Vinyl Siding Quality" - Isn't that an oxymoron?

http://www.geocities.com/monkeyfacechew/vinyl.html

Greg
Joseph Meehan

Tony Hwang wrote:
Greg wrote:
"Mike L." wrote in message

I want to cover my house with vinyl siding.

Any suggestions as to where I can find the ratings on the various
types and brands, and what I need to look for?

Thanks

"Vinyl Siding Quality" - Isn't that an oxymoron?

http://www.geocities.com/monkeyfacechew/vinyl.html

Greg

Hi,
In a hail prone area, vinyl is No, No.
A few years ago, part of my city got wiped out by big hail storm.
Every house which had vinyl siding had to claim on insurance.
Only reason vinyl is used, IMO,it's cheap. Bad for fire too.
Tony

We got hit by a major hail storm as well. My home has some really cheap
vinyl siding. Yea, it was identified as damaged by my insurance company. I
turned down the chance to replace it. Two reasons; first it was only on one
side of my home. The damage was strictly visual, no structural damage and
if you did not know what to look for, you would never see it. That side of
my home is seldom seen by anyone, including me, second, only one side was
damaged. I did not want to put up the same cheap stuff, I wanted to
upgrade, but only one side would be covered and I did not have the cash to
do the other three sides and upgrade cost. I don't see the need of milking
my insurance company for something that really does not need replacement.
They did cover the roof fully and help me get the upgrades to the roof I
wanted, even before I told them to no bother with the siding.

In any case vinyl is not my first choice in siding, given unlimited
cash, but it is a very good economical choice in general. Now the stuff
they had 20 years ago was a different matter. I might also suggest that
installation makes a big different. Mine was not all that good.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math