DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Toilet Bowl Problem (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/52841-toilet-bowl-problem.html)

[email protected] December 26th 03 06:07 PM

Toilet Bowl Problem

The 27-year-old toilet has a thin brown stain or scratch at the
bottom. Removed all the water and let it soak in pure bleach. Then
used a product called "The Works" which is hydrochloric acid. The
stain remains. What is the diagnosis and cure? Thanks, Jack

Des Perado December 26th 03 06:29 PM

Toilet Bowl Problem

Get a new toilet. That 27 year old has performed valiant service and
doesn't owe you a thing.
Des

Art Begun December 26th 03 06:56 PM

Toilet Bowl Problem

Reminds me of Jay Leno's bit about his father bringing back a 30 year
old toilet seat which came with a lifetime guarantee.

[email protected] December 27th 03 11:27 PM

Toilet Bowl Problem

"Des Perado" wrote in message ...
Get a new toilet. That 27 year old has performed valiant service and
doesn't owe you a thing.
Des

I can't bear to part with it. It's more than an efficient toilet with
excellent working original parts and a big reservoir which can remove
the largest log with one flush. It has become a friend. Many, many
times it was a source of comfort on workdays at 4 am as I barfed the
previous night's hangover. I did some of my best plotting and
planning on that throne, too.

BroJack

Art Begun December 28th 03 12:41 AM

Toilet Bowl Problem

Perhaps you could find a ceramics guy to reglaze it! Seems like the
toilet deserves a make-over.

" wrote in message
om...

Dan Hartung December 28th 03 08:13 AM

Toilet Bowl Problem

wrote:
The 27-year-old toilet has a thin brown stain or scratch at the
bottom. Removed all the water and let it soak in pure bleach. Then
used a product called "The Works" which is hydrochloric acid. The
stain remains. What is the diagnosis and cure? Thanks, Jack

This is a common hard-water mineral deposit, not a stain.

Go to your local hardware store, and in the home cleaning section, you
will find something called a "pumice stone". One brand is Pumie. It's a
very soft volcanic rock that you can rub on ceramic or porcelain without
scratching.

Clean the toilet normally (i.e. with Sani-Flush or whatever), then drain
the bowl by lifting the flap but not pulling the chain that triggers the
tank to refill. You can now rub the pumice on the stain. It will leave a
lot of grainy residue but this is easily flushed away. A bad deposit
will probably require several applications.

(none) December 28th 03 10:43 PM

Toilet Bowl Problem

"Art Begun" wrote in
k.net:

Perhaps you could find a ceramics guy to reglaze it! Seems like the
toilet deserves a make-over.

" wrote in message
om...
"Des Perado" wrote in message

Get a new toilet. That 27 year old has performed valiant service

and
doesn't owe you a thing.
Des

I can't bear to part with it. It's more than an efficient toilet

with
excellent working original parts and a big reservoir which can

remove
the largest log with one flush. It has become a friend. Many, many
times it was a source of comfort on workdays at 4 am as I barfed the
previous night's hangover. I did some of my best plotting and
planning on that throne, too.

BroJack

While this sounds more like a problem for Dear Abby than for a reglazer, I
found a product called Tough Tile at the local Grossman's Surplus Outlet
that's a Acabado Para El Fregadero Y Azulejos/Mosaicos...um...let me turn
the box around...a Sink and Tile Finish that Refinishes and Renews Sinks,
Tile and More. Creates a Lasting Porcelain-Like Finish. Haven't tries it
yet. There's several similar DIY products out there.
Got a old bathtub that needs a reglaze/repaint, myself.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source