Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Steve

Default Another Hot Water Heater Question

I need to replace my old 40 gallon gas hot water heater and there are 3
likely choices for me, and I have a few questions.

GE Smar****er (from Home Depot)
Whirlpool (From Lowes)
Kenmore (Sears)

Since they are all basically the same price, does one brand have a
better reputation for quality, as far as gas water heaters go?

Is it worth $100 more for a 12 year warranty vs. a 6 year warranty?
My water heaters seem to last about 8 years. My first one (AO Smith)
lasted 8 years before it burst and flooded my basement, and my 2nd one,
which is also an AO Smith needs to be replaced now, after 8 years.

Maybe that's all I can get out of a water heater, based on my quality of
water, so should I just be getting 6 year water heaters and just try and
replace them when they seem ready to fail? Otherwise, to collect on a
warranty, it seems I'd have to let it fail, or maybe burst and flood my
basement again.

Steve