DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cleaning Creosote off Glass Fireplace Doors (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/52592-cleaning-creosote-off-glass-fireplace-doors.html)

Michael December 18th 03 12:44 AM

Cleaning Creosote off Glass Fireplace Doors

Anyone have any good methods? I tried creosote cleaner,
but I still have to scrub with a green scouring pad to get the
junk off.

Thanks,

M.

Bob December 18th 03 01:16 AM

Cleaning Creosote off Glass Fireplace Doors

Any kind of liquid cleaner. Spray it on and spread it around on
the glass. Let it set a few minutes. Rub it with a balled up
sheet of newspaper dampened with the cleaner and dipped into the
fireplace ash.

Bob

[email protected] December 18th 03 10:52 AM

Michael wrote:
Anyone have any good methods? I tried creosote cleaner,
but I still have to scrub with a green scouring pad to get the
junk off.

Thanks,

M.

Mineral spirits would probably work - I used to use ms to remove tar.
Be sure, if you use mineral spirits, that all traces are gone before you
light a fire. I know you know better - just had to say it :o)

Doug Miller December 18th 03 12:56 PM

In article , "Michael" wrote:
Anyone have any good methods? I tried creosote cleaner,
but I still have to scrub with a green scouring pad to get the
junk off.

Washing soda. Available in most grocery stores in the same section as laundry
detergent. Dissolve 1/4 cup in a quart of warm water. The goo will wipe off.

Dennis M. Straussfogel December 18th 03 07:44 PM

Cleaning Creosote off Glass Fireplace Doors

For the glass on a wood-burning fireplace, the unbelievably simple
solution is to use the wood ash itself. Dip a wet paper towel in the ash,
rub it on the glass, dissolves the stuff in about five seconds. Wipe it
clean with another damp paper towel. Way easier/cheaper/eco-friendlier
than anything else I can think of. As I said, unbelievable.

D.

In article , "Michael"
wrote:

Anyone have any good methods? I tried creosote cleaner,
but I still have to scrub with a green scouring pad to get the
junk off.

Thanks,

M.

Dennis M. Straussfogel, Ph.D.
Aerospace Engineering Consultant

Larry December 20th 03 03:06 PM

Cleaning Creosote off Glass Fireplace Doors

Single edge razor blade followed by windex wiped off with yesterday's
newspaper.

rosie December 20th 03 03:27 PM

Cleaning Creosote off Glass Fireplace Doors

soap, water, and newspaper.

--
rosie
)

the main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the
bad
girls live.