Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Chris Eller

Default Electrical question

Greetings all. I have a, hopefully, simple electrical question.

Let's suppose I have a properly wired 240v outlet right where I need some
120v outlets. I have read that is is possible to put in a pair of 120v
outlets in place of a 240v. It's made by using the neutral commonly to
both duplex outlets, red-hot to one and black-hot to the other, then
common ground to the box (each duplex is then on a different hot leg).

Is this really possible? Or did I read something not quite safe? If it
is safe, is it a real stretch to make a portable outlet box for the 120v
and plug it into a 240v outlet, then provide a means of grounding it
properly (long ground lead attached to the 240v face-plate screw, for
example).

Thanks in advance,
Chris