DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Noisy Kenmore Dryer (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/50192-noisy-kenmore-dryer.html)

dzlater October 16th 03 12:27 AM

Noisy Kenmore Dryer

Hello -

We have a 2 year old electric Kenmore Dryer - model number 417.81142000

It has been working quite well for us but has suddenly become quite noisy.
I have removed the top panel and watched the drum spin and there is no
obvious vibration or other problem.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any clues as to what might be causing the noise.

thanks!

- Dave

Mad Mac October 16th 03 01:17 AM

Noisy Kenmore Dryer

"dzlater" wrote in message
Hello -

We have a 2 year old electric Kenmore Dryer - model number 417.81142000

It has been working quite well for us but has suddenly become quite noisy.
I have removed the top panel and watched the drum spin and there is no
obvious vibration or other problem.

Model number - good start, that tells us that you jave a Frigidaire
manufactured unit. What kind of noise are you experiencing? Thumping,
scraping (if so, metallic/plastic or a mixture), buzzing? Did the noise go
away when you removed the top? Any idea what part of the dryer it comes
from?

Mastermech October 16th 03 02:10 AM

Noisy Kenmore Dryer

Ck the Drum Bushing' you will have to remove the drum. It is usually plastic
and is at the back center of the drum, It holds the drum centered, also for
squeaking ck the front of the drum where it rubs against the front of the
machine. There are slides there that might need replacing or cleaning.
Let us know how you make out.
Good Luck

jeff October 16th 03 01:04 PM

Noisy Kenmore Dryer

(dzlater) wrote in message . ..
Hello -

We have a 2 year old electric Kenmore Dryer - model number 417.81142000

It has been working quite well for us but has suddenly become quite noisy.
I have removed the top panel and watched the drum spin and there is no
obvious vibration or other problem.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any clues as to what might be causing the noise.

Hi,

Common noise makers:
- rear drum bearing
- front drum glides
- idler pulley
- motor

*Some* take apart helps...
http://www.applianceaid.com/wwfhowtodryer.html

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=1851
Rear bearing kit.
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=780775
Idler pulley
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=343
Front glides.

http://www.applianceaid.com/ww-and-mc.html#noise
Some noise helps.

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Bill Hodgson October 17th 03 08:25 AM

Noisy Kenmore Dryer

Idler pulley on the belt anchored to the bottom cabinet panel (slot-fit) is
usually the first to cause noise. It needs oil. There's a special oil
bottle, flexible plastic, filled with the right weight oil, that has an
extending tube to reach hard to reach areas, made especially for this. Ask
the appliance shops or Sears.
- Bill