DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How Do I Fix My Watch Battery? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/50018-how-do-i-fix-my-watch-battery.html)

Stephanie October 6th 03 04:33 AM

How Do I Fix My Watch Battery?

Hi, I am a do-it-yourselfer type person, and I refuse to pay a jewelry store
$15 to change my watch battery for waht is basically a really simple task. I
have a cheap watch, bought at Wal-Mart for $20, similar to an LA Gear watch.

Can anyone tell me:

How do I get the back of my watch off, so I can access the battery? Will
razor blade work? Or is there a special tool needed? Where can I buy this
tool?

Where is the least expensive place to buy a watch battery? Wal-Mart?

Thanks,

Stephanie

Larry Caldwell October 17th 03 01:36 AM

How Do I Fix My Watch Battery?

(jim) writes:
go to wal mart and see if they will show you how to replace the
hattery.. on some watches you might ruin the watch by prying on the
back.. but if its a walmart watch then you have nothing to loose....
i got a drawer full of old cheap watches and keep them for parts(just
being cheap, cheap on my part..)

If you want cheap, I have several watches and keep the stem pulled out
unless I am wearing them. That shuts them off, so the battery doesn't
run down. When one quits on me, I just pull another one out of the
drawer, set it and push the stem in. Bingo, I'm set for a year.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

Jimmy October 19th 03 10:18 PM

How Do I Fix My Watch Battery?

Big thing on replacing a watch battery, DONT TOUCH WITH YOUR FINGERS. The
oil and salt will cause it to make a bad contact. I replace these on
computer boards and use a product called Deoxit to clean the battery and
holder prior to installation.

"DS" wrote in message
. ..
I took mine to Batteries Plus. They installed it for free. They will do
the same on your car battery as well. They did have a list of some of the
more expensive watches they won't try due to the possibility of scratches

or
damage.

Dave