DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   fleas? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/49767-fleas.html)

Punch September 5th 03 02:31 PM

fleas?

my house is becoming over run with a small reddish brown bug, they are about
2mm wide/long, pop when squished, and are driving us nuts.

I can't figure out where the're living/breeding, what should I do?

I kill about 5-10 a day.

Punch

RamblinOn September 5th 03 05:24 PM

fleas?

Punch wrote:

my house is becoming over run with a small reddish brown bug, they are about
2mm wide/long, pop when squished, and are driving us nuts.

I can't figure out where the're living/breeding, what should I do?

I kill about 5-10 a day.

Punch

Fleas don't squish. They are hard, flat from side to side, and kind of
"tear drop" shaped from the side. They jump, so they are hard to capture.

You don't give any info about where you find them. Got pets? House
plants? City? Country? Wooded yard? High rise? Alaska? Florida? How
are they driving you nuts? Just their presence, or are they biting? In
kitchen cabinets, without any further info, I would guess weevils or
some such insect in grain/nuts food containers. A tiny, spider-like bug
can infest houseplants, but generally stay on the plants and build fine
webs - spider mites. Ticks like damp wood, back of the toilet in the
wall :o) Come out and crawl around slowly. Tell us more - the entire
newsgroup is fascinated by bug stories :o)

Lar September 5th 03 05:44 PM

fleas?

In article ve06b.3524$I_2.533042
@news20.bellglobal.com, says...
:) my house is becoming over run with a small reddish brown bug, they are about
:) 2mm wide/long, pop when squished, and are driving us nuts.
:)
:) I can't figure out where the're living/breeding, what should I do?
:)
:)
Try to get them identified. Fleas will be black, more
long than wide...ticks can be reddish brown about that
size, but so can many other small insects that are
nothing more than a temporary nuisancee.
--

http://home.comcast.net/~larflu/owl1.jpg

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

mark Ransley September 5th 03 06:47 PM

fleas?

are you sure you have the size right a 2mm bug is to small to make any
noise when popped, at 1/4 ' it could be a boxelder bug, harmless, they
are off trees. 2mm could be a spider mite off plants.

Punch September 5th 03 08:14 PM

fleas?

"mark Ransley" wrote in message
are you sure you have the size right a 2mm bug is to small to make any
noise when popped, at 1/4 ' it could be a boxelder bug, harmless, they
are off trees. 2mm could be a spider mite off plants.

not a spider mite, these guys fly!

Punch September 5th 03 08:16 PM

fleas? update

"Punch" wrote in message
.. .
my house is becoming over run with a small reddish brown bug, they are

about
2mm wide/long, pop when squished, and are driving us nuts.

I can't figure out where the're living/breeding, what should I do?

I kill about 5-10 a day.

Punch

ok their not fleas, not ticks, not spider mites, and they can fly!

Punch

Rotation Slim September 5th 03 08:42 PM

fleas?

I don't know if they are fleas or not.. but if they are, VACUUM VACUUM
VACUUM that carpet. Their eggs are deposited in carpet, and once you
agressively vacuum daily they will disapear.

Don Phillipson September 5th 03 09:06 PM

fleas?

"Rotation Slim" wrote in message
om...
I don't know if they are fleas or not.. but if they are, VACUUM VACUUM
VACUUM that carpet. Their eggs are deposited in carpet, and once you
agressively vacuum daily they will disapear.

.. . . and then reinvade the house after the
larvae grow fat on other garbage in the
vacuum cleaner bag and then change
into the winged form . . .

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs (Ottawa, Canada)

`F.H September 6th 03 12:07 AM

fleas? update

Punch wrote:

"Punch" wrote in message
.. .
my house is becoming over run with a small reddish brown bug, they are

about
2mm wide/long, pop when squished, and are driving us nuts.

I can't figure out where the're living/breeding, what should I do?

I kill about 5-10 a day.

Punch

ok their not fleas, not ticks, not spider mites, and they can fly!

Punch

Sounds like termites.

Joe Bobst September 6th 03 01:15 AM

fleas?

. . . and then reinvade the house after the larvae grow fat on other garbage
in the vacuum cleaner bag and then change into the winged form .

Why not put a moth ball in the bag?

Joe

Lar September 6th 03 01:51 AM

fleas? update

In article Gi56b.3627$I_2.558623
@news20.bellglobal.com, says...
:)
:) "Punch" wrote in message
:) .. .
:) my house is becoming over run with a small reddish brown bug, they are
:) about
:) 2mm wide/long, pop when squished, and are driving us nuts.
:)
:) I can't figure out where the're living/breeding, what should I do?
:)
:) I kill about 5-10 a day.
:)
:) Punch
:)
:)
:)
:) ok their not fleas, not ticks, not spider mites, and they can fly!
:)
:) Punch
:)
:)
:)
Look up cigarette beetle or drugstore beetle and see if
that is them. If so they will be coming from food
products, dried flower arrangements or potpourrii that
has been around for awhile.

Jim Yanik September 6th 03 01:58 AM

fleas?

"Punch" wrote in
:

"mark Ransley" wrote in message
are you sure you have the size right a 2mm bug is to small to make any
noise when popped, at 1/4 ' it could be a boxelder bug, harmless, they
are off trees. 2mm could be a spider mite off plants.

not a spider mite, these guys fly!

Sounds like GNATS. Perhaps sticky paper traps. Or a bugbomb.

--
Jim Yanik,NRA member

peter September 6th 03 02:29 AM

fleas?

On 5 Sep 2003 12:42:56 -0700, (Rotation Slim)
wrote:

I don't know if they are fleas or not.. but if they are, VACUUM VACUUM
VACUUM that carpet. Their eggs are deposited in carpet, and once you
agressively vacuum daily they will disapear.

If these bugs really are fleas, vacuuming will do the trick.
Vacuum carpets, sofas, anything made of cloth.

Fleas live on animals. They jump off onto the cloth surfaces
to lay eggs. The eggs take about 5 days to hatch. If you vacuum
every four days, you will eventually get rid of them.

As others have said, get rid of the vacuum cleaner bag. Also
make sure they are fleas.

Good luck,

Peter

Doug Miller September 6th 03 12:32 PM

fleas? update

In article , wrote:
Punch wrote:
"Punch" wrote in message
.. .
my house is becoming over run with a small reddish brown bug, they are

about
2mm wide/long, pop when squished, and are driving us nuts.
I can't figure out where the're living/breeding, what should I do?

I kill about 5-10 a day.

ok their not fleas, not ticks, not spider mites, and they can fly!

Sounds like termites.

You obviously have never seen a termite. Termites are white, not "reddish
brown", and they're about 8mm long and 1mm wide, not "2mm wide/long".

--
Regards,

Desert Traveler September 6th 03 04:16 PM

fleas? update

"Punch" wrote in message
.. .

"Punch" wrote in message
.. .
my house is becoming over run with a small reddish brown bug, they are

about
2mm wide/long, pop when squished, and are driving us nuts.

I can't figure out where the're living/breeding, what should I do?

I kill about 5-10 a day.

Punch

ok their not fleas, not ticks, not spider mites, and they can fly!

Punch

Take some of the dead ones to an exterminator or your local cooperative
extension service and find out. They will tell you what they are and how to
deal with them. Simple.

It's difficult for anyone to identify a bug without seeing it. Half of all
species of animals in the world are beetles.

Steve