Edwin Pawlowski

Default Foam Type and Hot Tub Cover Repair

"Treetops" wrote in message
Does anyone know why extruded polystyrene (aka Styrofoam, blue/pink rigid
insulation board) is not used as the core for hot tub covers?
All covers, incuding mine seem to be expanded polystrene Beads which become
waterlogged and crack over time.

Extruded board is usually made in a couple of thicknesses and sold to the
construction industry. Few, if any fabricators use it for cutting into
shapes or other forms of fabrication.

EPS board is more readily available, can be easily cut to any thickness and
shape the end user wants, and is cheaper to buy. Oh, did I mention is is
cheaper?

EPS boads can be made with better fusion and thus will not become
waterlogged. But then it would cost a few pennies more. Your hot tub
probably cost $5,000 so the manufacturer can not afford an extra 25¢ to make
it better.

Is the board esposed? If so, consider putting a coating on it as a barrier.
Latex based products will not harm it and once a barrier is formed, any
coating can be put on top of that.
Ed

It would seem that Stryofoam would not soak up water and is also as strong
and as good an insulation.
Am in the process of using it to repair mine but......it seems to easy an
answer!!! or is it?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.....thanks

Treetops

Thanks for reply.
If better fused EPS (expanded beads) can be made, it sure doesn't seem to be
available. So hot tub cover makers all continue to use the regular stuff. To
help overcome water logging, they all wrap their EPS cores in sealed 3 or 6
mil poly bags. These are then encased in heavy vinyl covers.
However over time these inevidibly leak, waterlogging starts, and the cover
quickly becomes as heavy as lead and cracks. This is what happened twice to
mine. At $400 to replace, I decided to do it myself and thus my question
about using extruded polystrene aka styrofoam.

EPS is horrible to cut and shape at home; lots of bits of foam, impossible
to collect, and not a smooth cut. Core needs a taper shape of 4" to 2".
Cutting this taper at home would destroy any fused surface.
Extruded foam is easily cut by a home-made hot wire and is used by all kinds
of hobbyists to make models, airplane wings,sail boards. It is readily
available in thickness up to 2" and easily glued and painted if desired.

My question remains; Styrofoam does not seem to waterlog, seems as strong
and as good an insulation as EPS and can be cut fairly easily with the
required taper, would I be making a mistake in using it on my hot tub? I
would still put it in a sealed poly bag for good measure and inside the
vinyl cover.
What are the downsides in using it for this application?

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
igy.com...

"Treetops" wrote in message
[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"Treetops" wrote in message

EPS is horrible to cut and shape at home; lots of bits of foam,

impossible
to collect, and not a smooth cut. Core needs a taper shape of 4" to 2".
Cutting this taper at home would destroy any fused surface.
Extruded foam is easily cut by a home-made hot wire and is used by all

kinds
of hobbyists to make models, airplane wings,sail boards. It is readily
available in thickness up to 2" and easily glued and painted if desired.

You can cut EPS foam with the same equipment. I got into the EPS business
in 1970 with a company that started by making molded EPS airplane wings in
1955.

If you need any equipment for working wit either of the foam,s thee is a
company in Wester PA that carries simple hot wire cutters. Wind Loc is the
name, but hte city does not come to mind. They have many products for the
construction industry and ICF's. (insulating concrete forms)

My question remains; Styrofoam does not seem to waterlog, seems as strong
and as good an insulation as EPS and can be cut fairly easily with the
required taper, would I be making a mistake in using it on my hot tub?

No

would still put it in a sealed poly bag for good measure and inside the
vinyl cover.
What are the downsides in using it for this application?

None that I know of. Chemically, it is the same material. Extruded is more
rigid and will probably hold up better for your use.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome