D Smyth

Default Air Conditiponer Hiccups

I turned on a room air conditioner for the first time today. It seems to be
cutting in and out...compressor comes on, stops, there's a "click' (like a
breaker or relay) and it comes on again for ten seconds. And on and on. It
was working fine last year.
Any simple answers and, if not, how much will the complicated answers cost?
Thanks
ds

Dan O.

D Smyth wrote in message ...

I turned on a room air conditioner for the first time today.
It seems to be cutting in and out...compressor comes on,
stops, there's a "click' and it comes on again for ten seconds.
And on and on.

That is referred to as "short cycling".

Any simple answers

No.

if not, how much will the complicated answers cost?

My answer will cost you nothing. How much it will cost to repair your air
conditioner will depend on the actual cause.

It could be a just defective compressor run capacitor ($30-$50+), a
defective compressor overload protector ($15-$45), a defective compressor
($350+), a 'tight' compressor ($35-$45 for a hard start kit) or just bad
voltage like caused by trying to run it on an extension cord ($0).

BTW. Allowing the compressor to continue to 'short cycle' will almost
certainly damage the compressor (if it isn't already the cause). If that
should happen it most likely will *not* be worth repairing.

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=air+conditioner