Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Have you ever found any dead skeletons in walls?

A good topic for the Halloween season.....

While this is something often seen in horror movies, I imagine it can
and does happen in real life too. Dead insects and mice skeletons are
fairly common, but what about other critters, or even human skeletons?

Personally, in all my years of working on homes and other buildings, the
worst I found was the skeleton of a cat above a ceiling, in a building I
was helping demolish. The building had been a used as a livestock
auction barn.

I was sort of repulsed when I found it, even though all that remained
was a skeleton and a lot of fur. Fortunately I was above it, pulling off
roof boards, not below it. The building was being torn down by hand to
salvage all the lumber, and I was hired to assist the guy who was doing
the job.

I've also found other stuff in walls and other parts of buildings. The
most common were tools (which I always liked to find), and things like
spare plumbing or electrical parts. I've also found tin cans, a dish,
glass jars, and few coins. I never found that stack of hundred dollar
bills I always hoped to find.... And all the old homes had used razor
blades behind the bathroom medicine cabinet, because those cabinets were
made with a slot to deposit them blades into the wall. (which was a
stupid idea)....

---
Copyright © 2016 Painted Cow, Inc. - All text, images, and other content
of this message are the copyrighted material of Painted Cow, Inc. unless
otherwise noted. Any reproduction or use of this material is forbidden
without the written consent of the owner.

Websites (such as Homeownershub) who reproduce these messages without
permission, WILL BE PROSECUTED!

/) (\
.-._((,~~.))_.-,
`-. @ @ ,-'
/ ,o--o. \
( ( .__. ) )
) `----' (
/ \
/ \
/ \

PAINTED COW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/28/2016 3:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

Found a dead desiccated mouse in floor under a kitchen cabinet.
Thankfully it must have died when flies could not lay eggs or it would
be a big problem with smell. Why I never use rat poison in the house
and confine it to attic.

Son had squirrel die stuck in chimney liner and between chimney repair
and wall repair cost him nearly $1,000.

Another son heard a squirrel stuck in his Heatilator fireplace and got a
grate open, borrowed my Hav-a-hart trap and got the squirrel safely out
of the house.

Many years ago, we rented our first home which had a clothes drier in
the basement vented out the basement wall. During the summer a rabbit
died in the drier and got maggots. The repairman came and took it out
and immediately tossed his cookies. Wife was scared because basement
was crawling with maggots and got an exterminator.

Animals getting caught in the house can cause a lot of problems. We
were lucky a couple of years ago taking care of sons old cat that kept
jumping on top our clothes drier to investigate and find birds were
nesting and had packed the ajar drier vent cap with twigs. Cat may have
saved us from a drier fire.