Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Feds charge 56 people is massive IRS phone fraud scheme

This will stop some of the fraudsters running this phone scam, but
most likely others will just pop up in their place. It's a constant
game of whack-a-mole.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...ment/92825238/

WASHINGTON — Federal authorities unsealed an indictment Thursday,
charging 56 people in a vast fraud scheme in which suspects posed as
Internal Revenue Service agents and immigration authorities to siphon
more than $300 million from thousands of unwitting victims to clear
fictitious deportation warrants and phony tax debts.

The scheme, which employed a network of telephone call centers based
in India, relied on personal information obtained from data brokers to
target at least 15,000 victims with threats of fines, deportation or
imprisonment if they did not pay the demanded fees.

At least 24 suspects in the U.S. were still being pursued Thursday by
federal authorities. Thirty-two suspects were believed to be living
abroad. The court documents also outlined charges against five call
center operations.

***

"relied on personal information obtained from data brokers" - I have
been harping on this subject for years. Commercial data brokers have
incredibly detailed information on people, and yet we have no legal
protection or input regarding who gets access to our personal
information, and how it is used.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 27, 2016 at 10:45:57 AM UTC-5, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
[...]

I like to call them back and identify myself as an FBI agent then demand their inter-agency ID number so I can confirm who they are and ask why they are contacting an FBI agent. It's fun to demand their location then pull the phone away from my mouth and loudly say something like,"Hey Jones, run a trace on this call! I want to know this person's location!" It's fun to frak with them. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Fed Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote on 10/27/2016 :
[...]

Be careful to not get swatted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swatting

They sometimes do this when they get ****ed off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 27, 2016 at 7:29:44 PM UTC-5, FromTheRafters wrote:
[...]

It would be quite funny to see a SWAT team show up at the nursing home. I can just see armed storm troopers rousting paralyzed people from their beds and wheelchairs. My VoIP adapter works over the WiFi system at the center and my connection is usually through a proxy in New York so I wonder who the SWAT team will slam to the floor? I could switch to a proxy in Singapore. That could be entertaining.”Œ( à²*_à²*)”˜

[8~{} Uncle Proxy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

[...]

That's what I do too. It's fun. If they don't hear this-sometimes they talk
too much-I tell them the I am recording the call.

I got a new phone system and it allows 3000 blocks by pressing one button.
Oh man it's fun in election season. Press the button, confirm, call drops.

--
Tekkie