Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water pipes vibrating

All of a sudden when I turn off either hot or cold water spigot quickly, I hear the pipe rattling under the floor. This happens everyone - bath, kitchen, washer.

I suspect that a hanger may have come loose - easy to fix. Bit the big question is how to prevent the force of the water shutting off to avoid the sudden pressure opening a leak in a weak connection.

I know I can install an air volume pipe or tank above the line to reduce the sudden pressure. But I'm wondering if maybe the water line pressure coming into the house might be too high. What's the nominal city water pressure range? And, if I install a pressure reducer, the ones I have seen only reduce the pressure after a valve is opened -- the pressure in the line when all valves are closed is the same as the upstream line pressure.

Does any of this make any sense?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 10:30:17 -0700, "Yuben"
wrote:

[...]

If the pipes have come loose, fix that. You could try turning down
the stop valve at each water feature, too. Was there recent work on
supply lines by the city? Maybe open all your fixtures at once and
let the air out... YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-10-24 1:30 PM, Yuben wrote:
[...]

It may be a venting issue too. Just as another thought.

--
Froz....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 24, 2016 at 1:30:27 PM UTC-4, Yuben wrote:
All of a sudden when I turn off either hot or cold water spigot quickly, I hear the pipe rattling under the floor. This happens everyone - bath, kitchen, washer.

I suspect that a hanger may have come loose - easy to fix.

It is if it's accessible.

Bit the big question is how to prevent the force of the water shutting off to avoid the sudden pressure opening a leak in a weak connection.

I know I can install an air volume pipe or tank above the line to reduce the sudden pressure. But I'm wondering if maybe the water line pressure coming into the house might be too high. What's the nominal city water pressure range?

I'd say 45 to 60 or so is common from what I've seen.

And, if I install a pressure reducer, the ones I have seen only reduce the pressure after a valve is opened -- the pressure in the line when all valves are closed is the same as the upstream line pressure.

Can't say I've looked at them in detail, but I don't see why that
would be. It would defeat one of the main purposes. And I don't
see why a design would work that way. But then you only need one
if your pressure is too high and that's the problem.

Does any of this make any sense?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 24, 2016 at 6:57:27 PM UTC-4, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 2016-10-24 1:30 PM, Yuben wrote:
[...]

how can a venting issue cause problems in a supply line?

vents are in sewer lines

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-10-24 1:30 PM, Yuben wrote:
[...]

You are right, I misread it, was taking it as when draining.

--
Froz....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2016 7:24 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

You can get a pressure gauge at Amazon for about 10 bucks. Screws onto
a typical hose type fitting. May not be the problem, but good to know
anyway.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 21:14:18 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You can get a pressure gauge at Amazon for about 10 bucks. Screws onto
a typical hose type fitting. May not be the problem, but good to know
anyway.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Selling a house the buyer inspector said my PSI was to high. During
the day when neighbors we all gone to work. Went in the house,
relieved all the water pressure, then replied -- no it isn't.

They bought the house without me putting in a pressure relief valve.
Pressure may or can be different when the water supply is under heavy
use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/25/2016 02:35 AM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 21:14:18 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You can get a pressure gauge at Amazon for about 10 bucks. Screws onto
a typical hose type fitting. May not be the problem, but good to know
anyway.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Selling a house the buyer inspector said my PSI was to high. During
the day when neighbors we all gone to work. Went in the house,
relieved all the water pressure, then replied -- no it isn't.

They bought the house without me putting in a pressure relief valve.
Pressure may or can be different when the water supply is under heavy
use.

The proper fix is to ensure the pressure regulator is set properly and install an expansion tank.

Most people don't give a **** until their plumbing bursts though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 06:55:30 -0700 (PDT), John G
wrote:

Does any of this make any sense?

Thanks in advance.

You may have an existing bad pressure reducer. Vibrating pipes is characteristic of that.

Thats what I was thinking or the water pressure was recently raised,
since the OP said this suddenly occurred.