Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Types of Patio Covers?

I'm tearing down the old one next weekend. Once it's all down and cleared out, I would like to put another one up, only this time the *right* way. I would like to know what kind of cover the folks here like or don't like.

Old one was put up using the Joe Homeowner before I moved here. Rain comes off the roof, hits the cover and originally ran back under the eaves against the wall. I was able to put up some flashing, gutter, etc, to drain away from the patio.

Anyway, that's an old sob story. Now I wondered what kind of patio covers people have that they like.

This is the style I've got, only mine is simpler and has 4 posts instead of 2. I like the spaced 2x2's on the top - gives enough sun and when the sun sets (would be to the left on this photo), it shades the sliding door.

http://www.southerncaliforniapatios....1243_large.JPG

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 19:51:54 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
wrote:

I'm tearing down the old one next weekend. Once it's all down and cleared out, I would like to put another one up, only this time the *right* way. I would like to know what kind of cover the folks here like or don't like.

Old one was put up using the Joe Homeowner before I moved here. Rain comes off the roof, hits the cover and originally ran back under the eaves against the wall. I was able to put up some flashing, gutter, etc, to drain away from the patio.

Anyway, that's an old sob story. Now I wondered what kind of patio covers people have that they like.

This is the style I've got, only mine is simpler and has 4 posts instead of 2. I like the spaced 2x2's on the top - gives enough sun and when the sun sets (would be to the left on this photo), it shades the sliding door.

http://www.southerncaliforniapatios....1243_large.JPG

This is what we do down in Florida

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Redneck%20roofing.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's great! I've got an 8x10 shed back in one corner of the yard, behind some bushes with a recliner in it. Lovely wife wanted to know why I didn't put closer to the house. Nyuk nyuk nyuk....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm tearing down the old one next weekend. Once it's all down and cleared out, I would like to put another one up, only this time the *right* way. I would like to know what kind of cover the folks here like or don't like.

Old one was put up using the Joe Homeowner before I moved here. Rain comes off the roof, hits the cover and originally ran back under the eaves against the wall. I was able to put up some flashing, gutter, etc, to drain away from the patio.

Anyway, that's an old sob story. Now I wondered what kind of patio covers people have that they like.

This is the style I've got, only mine is simpler and has 4 posts instead of 2. I like the spaced 2x2's on the top - gives enough sun and when the sun sets (would be to the left on this photo), it shades the sliding door.

http://www.southerncaliforniapatios....1243_large.JPG

I put in a large flagstone patio and covered it with triangular shade
sails.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

This is almost exactly like the existing cover except mine is all 2x2's spaced apart - no solid cover pieces. Only bad part about this one was repainting the 2x2's and water pooling on top of all the flat surfaces.
http://www.southwest-builders.com/wp...covers-okc.jpg

Lovely wife is thinking more of something enclosed like this...
http://wtech2000.com/patior1.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You might have misunderstood what I was talking about, these are the
type of shade sails I am talking about:

http://bit.ly/2dNhxc3

Reads as if your wife wants an enclosure, not just a cover.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 15:38:49 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

Reads as if your wife wants an enclosure, not just a cover.

.... sometimes called a 3-Season Room. Depending on the winter climate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks - have never seen those before.