DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Are Poulan chainsaws made by Husqvarna (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/400159-poulan-chainsaws-made-husqvarna.html)

[email protected] August 11th 16 08:27 PM

Are Poulan chainsaws made by Husqvarna

A local guy who rebuilds and sells used chainsaws and other small engine
devices, told me that Poulan chainsaws are made by Husqvarna. While this
is possible, I never heard it before and wonder if this guy was just
"talking ****" to try and make a sale.

Stihl saws used to be considered the "top of the line", but it appears
that these days it's Husqvarna, so it's apparent that comparing any saw
to that brand is a way to make a sale.

I have not had much experience with Poulan, although I know a guy who
owns one and says he likes it, and it's reliable.

My best chainsaws have always been the old Stihl Farmboss. I have
several of them, but they are heavy and like to kickback on small twigs.
So, I was looking at a small Poulan this guy has for sale. That saw is
light and is is made for the branches and small stuff, with it's 14"
bar.

Actually my preferered saw for smaller branches is my electric chainsaw,
but sometimes I am too far from a power source.

burfordTjustice August 11th 16 09:42 PM

Are Poulan chainsaws made by Husqvarna

On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 15:27:35 -0400
wrote:

[...]

Poulan are junk, burned out three.
Husqvarna are like a timex, they just keep on ticking.

Arthur Conan Doyle August 12th 16 12:32 AM

wrote:

A local guy who rebuilds and sells used chainsaws and other small engine
devices, told me that Poulan chainsaws are made by Husqvarna.

Poulan and Husqvarna are both owned by Electrolux. Whatever you thought you knew
about brand names is meaningless these days. Poulan (Green) tends to be the mass
maket budget line. Poulan Pro is an attempt to go slightly upmarket, but shares
parts with Poulan and Husqvarna, so all you may be getting is a different paint
and decals.

[email protected] January 6th 18 03:28 AM

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 4:28:59 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Poulan is, has and always been made by the Husqvarna company all under the Electrolux company of Sweden. Electrolux just recently spun off Poulan on it's own. They have been platicky for the past 15-20 years. Even back when Poulan was the preferred "climbing saw" for professional climbers (1970's-1980's), who didnt want to spend the extra money to afford Stihl or Echo which are both better products but also more fussy when it comes to running and weather. Poulans, for the money swere the best valuse. When it comes to (relatively) mopdern GROUND saws, Husqvarna probably tops the list for value, durability etc.

[email protected] December 2nd 18 02:06 AM

Are Poulan chainsaws made by Husqvarna

Poulan was started as an American company in Louisiana,so,they were not
"Always owned" by Electrolux.

Frank[_24_] December 2nd 18 02:04 PM

On 12/1/2018 9:06 PM, wrote:
Poulan was started as an American company in Louisiana,so,they were not
"Always owned" by Electrolux.

Interesting. I have an old Poulan Wild Thing and it is a crappy saw.
After about 6 months the oiler quit and was fixed under warranty. I
might use it now and then but it is not the kind of chainsaw for any
intensive work.