Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AC Unit Advice

Looking to install a new AC unit.

2.5Ton outdoor unit with a 3Ton indoor coil

Maratherm for around $2,200 or a comfortmaker for around $3,000

Any advice?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 9:18:02 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Looking to install a new AC unit.

2.5Ton outdoor unit with a 3Ton indoor coil

Maratherm for around $2,200 or a comfortmaker for around $3,000

Any advice?

Comfortmaker is a good generic unit and I've serviced several of them and they seemed to be well made. I've never seen a Maratherm that I recall but I'm guessing it's another generic contractor grade unit. There's nothing wrong with the contractor grade units as long as they're kept clean and serviced they work just fine. The two units you mention have a lot of the same parts. The compressors could very well be identical parts manufactured by Copeland. What kind of warranty are the installers giving you? O_o

[8~{} Uncle AC Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

i believe it would be 5 year parts/10yr condenser for the maratherm and 10yr/parts/10 yr condenser for the comfortmaker.

Just not sure it is worth the extra $800ish but i also do not want to cheap out on things.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 9:56:48 AM UTC-5, wrote:
i believe it would be 5 year parts/10yr condenser for the maratherm and 10yr/parts/10 yr condenser for the comfortmaker.

Just not sure it is worth the extra $800ish but i also do not want to cheap out on things.

I'd consider the reputation of the dealer in the warranty department. Of course, a manufacturer can claim a part is warranted then charge the consumer $500.00 shipping and handling. Check out what Consumer Reports has to say and do some serious Internet searching about how the manufacturers actually honor their warranties. ^_^

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...ying-guide.htm

http://www.qualitysmith.com/request/...mfortmaker-ac/

[8~{} Uncle Cool Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 11:30:55 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 9:56:48 AM UTC-5, wrote:
i believe it would be 5 year parts/10yr condenser for the maratherm and 10yr/parts/10 yr condenser for the comfortmaker.

Just not sure it is worth the extra $800ish but i also do not want to cheap out on things.

I'd consider the reputation of the dealer in the warranty department. Of course, a manufacturer can claim a part is warranted then charge the consumer $500.00 shipping and handling. Check out what Consumer Reports has to say and do some serious Internet searching about how the manufacturers actually honor their warranties. ^_^

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...ying-guide.htm

http://www.qualitysmith.com/request/...mfortmaker-ac/

[8~{} Uncle Cool Monster

+1
The warranty on my Tempstar furnace wasn't woth the paper it was
written on when my dealer went T.U.

OT advice on running wires for a sur. sound unit??? Craig Metalworking 13 January 6th 05 04:06 AM
Your advice on new a/c unit, please Dee Home Repair 21 December 8th 04 11:47 PM
rewiring consumer unit - advice Bing Wu UK diy 11 June 16th 04 12:01 AM
Consumer Unit Advice hays UK diy 5 February 10th 04 03:30 PM
Air Conditioning unit advice wanted Martin UK diy 25 August 14th 03 01:10 PM