DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Where should smoking be illegal? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/394935-where-should-smoking-illegal.html)

Mr Macaw May 30th 16 06:44 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

On Mon, 30 May 2016 18:40:19 +0100, wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2016 18:01:34 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2016 17:55:07 +0100, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per Mr Macaw:
Except neither tobacco or .... are addictive.

Better review your information sources vis-a-vis tobacco.

It's an open-and-shut slam-dunk.

If you can cite any credible source anywhere that says tobacco is not
addictive, I might be interested to look at it.

Personal experience.

Addiction and the susceptibility to it is really different from person
to person. Some of us are fairly immune, others are very susceptible
and those folks can find themselves addicted to any number of things.
It might just be the lack of the "will power" gene.

Odd, as I have bugger all will power. If I want something, I can't do without.

--
Balderdash (n.), a rapidly receding hairline.

[email protected] May 30th 16 06:45 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

On Mon, 30 May 2016 13:01:46 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per :
I guess that may be why I am ambivalent about it. I can smoke half a
cigar with the guys, put it away and not think of it again.

Be cautious about the cigars. In the place where I worked for 25
years, I saw several people start smoking cigars thinking they were
non-addictive... and they were.... for awhile... but eventually they
wound up sucking on a cigarette for much of the working day.

I don't have the problem. I never thought I "needed" a smoke and I can
have a cigar or pass. I am always around cigarettes and I pretty much
never participate. If I do, I rip the filter off and smoke it backward
to make it as nasty as possible, I don't finish it and I am done for
another 5 years or so. You do get a little buzz from tobacco but only
the first puff. After that you won't get anything more unless you lay
off a year or so.

[email protected] May 30th 16 06:49 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

On Mon, 30 May 2016 18:08:01 +0100, Bod wrote:

I get withdrawal symptoms from a lack of a cigarette. I gave up once for
3 weeks and it changed my character from being laid back to an angry
animal. So much so that my missus told me to start again.

Must be just me then. I've never felt any compulsion that I must have
something I stopped having.

Masturbation?

That has been defined as an addiction too, in our addiction happy
society.

[email protected] May 30th 16 06:51 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

On Mon, 30 May 2016 18:12:35 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

Masturbation?

Why was that the first thing that came to your head?

It is better than "strangling small animals" ;-)

Mr Macaw May 30th 16 07:03 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2016 18:49:36 +0100, wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2016 18:08:01 +0100, Bod wrote:

I get withdrawal symptoms from a lack of a cigarette. I gave up once for
3 weeks and it changed my character from being laid back to an angry
animal. So much so that my missus told me to start again.

Must be just me then. I've never felt any compulsion that I must have
something I stopped having.

Masturbation?

That has been defined as an addiction too, in our addiction happy
society.

500-1000 Americans die per year due to suffocating themselves to enhance orgasm.
http://thoughtcatalog.com/jim-goad/2...urbating-nsfw/

--
Acupuncture is a jab well done.

Mr Macaw May 30th 16 07:04 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2016 18:51:30 +0100, wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2016 18:12:35 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

Masturbation?

Why was that the first thing that came to your head?

It is better than "strangling small animals" ;-)

Less of the small.

--
An old Irish farmer's dog goes missing and he's inconsolable.
His wife says "Why don't you put an advert in the paper?"

Bod[_3_] May 30th 16 07:05 PM

On 30/05/2016 18:51, wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2016 18:12:35 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

Masturbation?

Why was that the first thing that came to your head?

It is better than "strangling small animals" ;-)

Especially when you choke the chicken ;-)

--
Bod

Muggles[_11_] May 30th 16 07:07 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

On 5/30/2016 12:32 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2016 11:25:09 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 5/30/2016 12:27 AM,
wrote:
On Sun, 29 May 2016 23:51:29 -0500, Muggles

You're wrong about the chemicals, AND about me simply being offended by
the smell.

http://www.no-smoke.org/learnmore.php?id=671

Give me a real science study, not a hit piece from a group who says
"no smoke" in their name.
I can find a "study" from some fundamentalist organization that says
people are "harmed" by damned near anything.

Did you try the links referenced in the article? I'm guessing you didn't
even read the article or try the links to the studies it referenced.

Any link that starts out "no-smoke" is going to be a biased hit piece
and any "science" that does not talk about dosage and the TLV is
hyperbole. I was the OSHA hazmat compliance officer among other duties
and I am very familiar with protocols around chemicals.

OSHA huh? OK.

Since you're familiar with OSHA, and that seems to be the only source
you'd accept as valid, why don't you provide the OSHA information that
says smoking is safe and doesn't cause health problems via secondhand or
third hand smoke?

--
Maggie

Muggles[_11_] May 30th 16 07:08 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

On 5/30/2016 12:34 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2016 11:26:30 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 5/30/2016 1:23 AM, Bod wrote:
On 29/05/2016 20:50, Muggles wrote:
On 5/29/2016 12:55 PM,
wrote:

OK fine but why can't I have a smoking restaurant that you do not need
to go into?

Right now there are places like that. I don't know for how long they'll
exist, though.

I have heard tea totallers say the smell of alcohol offends them too
(even to the point of sickness) but we just tell them to stay out of
bars.

That's the whole point. If you don't like something, then avoid it,
simple, everyone's happy.

Do you think it's right to discriminate against non-smokers?

We are not discriminating, they are welcome to come in if they want
but they should be aware of the hazard.

So, you're now agreeing that a smoke filled environment is a hazard to
people's health?

--
Maggie

Bod[_3_] May 30th 16 07:10 PM

On 30/05/2016 19:03, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2016 18:49:36 +0100, wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2016 18:08:01 +0100, Bod wrote:

I get withdrawal symptoms from a lack of a cigarette. I gave up
once for
3 weeks and it changed my character from being laid back to an angry
animal. So much so that my missus told me to start again.

Must be just me then. I've never felt any compulsion that I must have
something I stopped having.

Masturbation?

That has been defined as an addiction too, in our addiction happy
society.

500-1000 Americans die per year due to suffocating themselves to enhance
orgasm.
http://thoughtcatalog.com/jim-goad/2...urbating-nsfw/

I've heard that there is a safer way using *Poppers* (Amyl Nitrate),
which is legal to buy in the UK. Popular with Gays (apparently).

--
Bod

Mr Macaw May 30th 16 07:12 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2016 19:05:35 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 30/05/2016 18:51, wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2016 18:12:35 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

Masturbation?

Why was that the first thing that came to your head?

It is better than "strangling small animals" ;-)

Especially when you choke the chicken ;-)

Have you been watching Beavis and Butthead?

--
Balderdash (n.), a rapidly receding hairline.

Mark Lloyd[_12_] May 30th 16 07:32 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

On 05/30/2016 09:26 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

I'd probably still smoke if I could have the occasional cig with no
addiction. I was close to a pack a day when I quit 40 years ago. One
or two a month is not a big deal but 20 a day sure is.

I always wonder what's so attractive about smoking. Like to have
something in your mouth? I'm sure you could find something better than THAT.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers." [Oscar
Wilde]

Mr Macaw May 30th 16 07:33 PM

On 30/05/2016 18:51, wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2016 18:12:35 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

Masturbation?

Why was that the first thing that came to your head?

It is better than "strangling small animals" ;-)

Especially when you choke the chicken ;-)

Have you been watching Beavis and Butthead?

Not recently.

That's the sort of thing they say.

--
What's meaner than a pit bull with AIDS?
The guy that gave it to him.

[email protected] May 30th 16 07:34 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2016 19:04:11 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2016 18:51:30 +0100, wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2016 18:12:35 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

Masturbation?

Why was that the first thing that came to your head?

It is better than "strangling small animals" ;-)

Less of the small.

I thought you Brits always got Monty Python references.

Mark Lloyd[_12_] May 30th 16 07:35 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

On 05/30/2016 10:00 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

[said]

Except neither tobacco or alcohol are addictive.

People SAY they're addicted to tobacco (physical addiction). Maybe it IS
an excuse, and "hasty habit" is actually what it is.

[email protected] May 30th 16 07:38 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

On Mon, 30 May 2016 13:07:21 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 5/30/2016 12:32 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2016 11:25:09 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 5/30/2016 12:27 AM,
wrote:
[...]

Smoking is dangerous and there are plenty of references for that. In
very high concentrations of ambient smoke, for long periods of time is
very likely a hazard. An occasional whiff of smoke is not dangerous
and the idea of the latent smell of smoke in a curtain being dangerous
is ludicrous.

[email protected] May 30th 16 07:38 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

wrote:

OK fine but why can't I have a smoking restaurant that you do not need
to go into?

Right now there are places like that. I don't know for how long they'll
exist, though.

I have heard tea totallers say the smell of alcohol offends them too
(even to the point of sickness) but we just tell them to stay out of
bars.

That's the whole point. If you don't like something, then avoid it,
simple, everyone's happy.

Do you think it's right to discriminate against non-smokers?

We are not discriminating, they are welcome to come in if they want
but they should be aware of the hazard.

So, you're now agreeing that a smoke filled environment is a hazard to
people's health?

Not really but if you think it is so, you are warned.

bob haller May 30th 16 07:40 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

smokers might as well quit, because very soon they wouldnt be allowed to smoke anywhe)

no doubt smoking contribuites to global warming.........

smoking makes healthcare costs skyrocket

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/05/3...htmlws-main-bb

Muggles[_11_] May 30th 16 07:42 PM

On 5/30/2016 1:38 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2016 13:07:21 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 5/30/2016 12:32 PM,
wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2016 11:25:09 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 5/30/2016 12:27 AM,
wrote:
[...]

Prove it's not dangerous, then.

I've provided multiple references that says it is dangerous and causes
health problems, and I and some others have said that even a whiff of
secondhand smoke can make them sick, in addition to, providing links
that provide proof of that happening.

You don't believe any of the references to any of those things that I've
provided. So, I'd like for you to provide me with links that support
your conclusion that a whiff of smoke is not dangerous and latent third
hand smoke is also not dangerous.

--
Maggie

bob haller May 30th 16 07:42 PM

wrote:

On 5/30/2016 12:32 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2016 11:25:09 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 5/30/2016 12:27 AM,
wrote:
[...]

its been proven parents who only smoke outside create health troubles for their children, from the smoke particles on their clothes

Muggles[_11_] May 30th 16 07:43 PM

On 5/30/2016 1:38 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2016 13:08:23 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

wrote:

OK fine but why can't I have a smoking restaurant that you do not need
to go into?

Right now there are places like that. I don't know for how long they'll
exist, though.

I have heard tea totallers say the smell of alcohol offends them too
(even to the point of sickness) but we just tell them to stay out of
bars.

That's the whole point. If you don't like something, then avoid it,
simple, everyone's happy.

Do you think it's right to discriminate against non-smokers?

We are not discriminating, they are welcome to come in if they want
but they should be aware of the hazard.

So, you're now agreeing that a smoke filled environment is a hazard to
people's health?

Not really but if you think it is so, you are warned.

Why would you need to warn anyone of a hazard if something wasn't hazardous?

--
Maggie

hah[_4_] May 30th 16 07:44 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

On 05/30/2016 01:12 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

[snip]

Have you been watching Beavis and Butthead?

Ooooooh, he said the B-word.

Mark Lloyd[_12_] May 30th 16 07:45 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

On 05/30/2016 12:49 PM, wrote:

[snip]

Masturbation?

That has been defined as an addiction too, in our addiction happy
society.

Whether is is or not, Masturbation doesn't hurt people.

Mr Macaw May 30th 16 07:47 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2016 19:10:01 +0100, Bod wrote:

[...]

What, the stuff in diesel to make it ignite better?!?

[googles]

Hmmm, that stuff sounds more harmful than most other drugs, yet it's legal.

And WTF? "Common side effects of popper use include headaches, excessive perspiration and ****temporary erectile problems****."
Isn't that the problem they were trying to solve?

--
What lives in the sea, and goes dah di dah dit, dah dah dit dah?
A morse cod.

notX May 30th 16 07:48 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

On 05/30/2016 12:32 PM, wrote:

[snip]

Any link that starts out "no-smoke" is going to be a biased hit piece
and any "science" that does not talk about dosage and the TLV is
hyperbole. I was the OSHA hazmat compliance officer among other duties
and I am very familiar with protocols around chemicals.
I imagine you are getting more harmful fumes from your nail polish
remover than any amount of second hand smoke you encounter. Read the
MSDS on that solvent sometime if you want to be scared. Simply
painting a toxic chemical on your nails is bad enough and god only
knows what is in the other cosmetics.

At least I don't burn toxic waste in my mouth...

Mr Macaw May 30th 16 07:49 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2016 19:40:39 +0100, bob haller wrote:

smokers might as well quit, because very soon they wouldnt be allowed to smoke anywhe)

no doubt smoking contribuites to global warming.........

smoking makes healthcare costs skyrocket

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/05/3...htmlws-main-bb

If you don't like smokers using healthcare money, privatise healthcare.

--
DNA tests confirm that Richard III is the last Englishman to be found in Leicester!

Mr Macaw May 30th 16 07:49 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2016 19:34:18 +0100, wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2016 19:04:11 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2016 18:51:30 +0100, wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2016 18:12:35 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

Masturbation?

Why was that the first thing that came to your head?

It is better than "strangling small animals" ;-)

Less of the small.

I thought you Brits always got Monty Python references.

I've seen them all several times, but I can't remember them ever saying that.

--
Which is it, is man one of god's blunders or is god one of man's? -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Bod[_3_] May 30th 16 08:01 PM

On 30/05/2016 19:32, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 05/30/2016 09:26 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

I'd probably still smoke if I could have the occasional cig with no
addiction. I was close to a pack a day when I quit 40 years ago. One
or two a month is not a big deal but 20 a day sure is.

I always wonder what's so attractive about smoking. Like to have
something in your mouth? I'm sure you could find something better than
THAT.

Don't be filthy! ;-)

--
Bod

Bod[_3_] May 30th 16 08:02 PM

On 30/05/2016 19:34, wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2016 19:04:11 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2016 18:51:30 +0100, wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2016 18:12:35 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

Masturbation?

Why was that the first thing that came to your head?

It is better than "strangling small animals" ;-)

Less of the small.

I thought you Brits always got Monty Python references.

Hah! no one expects a Spanish Inquisition!

--
Bod

Bod[_3_] May 30th 16 08:06 PM

On 30/05/2016 19:47, Mr Macaw wrote:
[...]

*Apparently* it's used at the point of the vinegar stroke.

--
Bod

Dean Hoffman[_12_] May 30th 16 08:07 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

On Mon, 30 May 2016 13:43:13 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 5/30/2016 1:38 PM, wrote:

Not really but if you think it is so, you are warned.

Why would you need to warn anyone of a hazard if something wasn't
hazardous?

Lawyers are Lurking. Or maybe it's better as Lurking Lawyers.

--
Using Opera's mail client:
http://www.opera.com/mail/

[email protected] May 30th 16 08:49 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

On Mon, 30 May 2016 13:42:26 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 5/30/2016 1:38 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2016 13:07:21 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 5/30/2016 12:32 PM,
wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2016 11:25:09 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 5/30/2016 12:27 AM,
wrote:
[...]

Prove carrots don't cause cancer.
Another red herring, you can't prove a negative.
The lack of any real evidence that second hand smoke ever killed
anyone is about all we have.
Random musing by groups who start out condemning smokers and cherry
picking random data points to confirm their case is not proof of
anything.

I am done with this,. If you don't like smoke, stay away from smokers.

[email protected] May 30th 16 08:51 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

wrote:

On 5/30/2016 12:32 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2016 11:25:09 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 5/30/2016 12:27 AM,
wrote:
[...]

"Proven" really? with real science or just bull****. Firemen must be a
regular toxic waste site when they get home from work.

[email protected] May 30th 16 08:52 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

On Mon, 30 May 2016 13:48:41 -0500, notX
wrote:

On 05/30/2016 12:32 PM, wrote:

[snip]

Any link that starts out "no-smoke" is going to be a biased hit piece
and any "science" that does not talk about dosage and the TLV is
hyperbole. I was the OSHA hazmat compliance officer among other duties
and I am very familiar with protocols around chemicals.
I imagine you are getting more harmful fumes from your nail polish
remover than any amount of second hand smoke you encounter. Read the
MSDS on that solvent sometime if you want to be scared. Simply
painting a toxic chemical on your nails is bad enough and god only
knows what is in the other cosmetics.

At least I don't burn toxic waste in my mouth...

Smearing on your skin is not that much safer.

[email protected] May 30th 16 08:58 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2016 19:49:49 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

It is better than "strangling small animals" ;-)

Less of the small.

I thought you Brits always got Monty Python references.

I've seen them all several times, but I can't remember them ever saying that.

--

Interesting since it was a bit of a scandal there at the time.

The show had a skit where they asked Eric Idle's character his
favorite hobbies and he answered "Golf, masturbation and strangling
small animals". The BBC beeped "masturbation" and when Duncan Hunter
was quizzed by Cleese later he was asked why masturbation was worse
than strangling small animals. Then he followed up with "You
masterbates don't you Duncan?"
Things went down hill from there.

Bod[_3_] May 30th 16 09:03 PM

wrote:

On Monday, May 30, 2016 at 2:38:31 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2016 13:07:21 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 5/30/2016 12:32 PM,
wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2016 11:25:09 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 5/30/2016 12:27 AM,
wrote:
[...]

My word! it looks like Maggie will need a ladder soon, to get out of
that hole she's digging.

--
Bod

Mr Macaw May 30th 16 09:25 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2016 20:58:24 +0100, wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2016 19:49:49 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

It is better than "strangling small animals" ;-)

Less of the small.

I thought you Brits always got Monty Python references.

I've seen them all several times, but I can't remember them ever saying that.

--

Interesting since it was a bit of a scandal there at the time.

The show had a skit where they asked Eric Idle's character his
favorite hobbies and he answered "Golf, masturbation and strangling
small animals". The BBC beeped "masturbation" and when Duncan Hunter
was quizzed by Cleese later he was asked why masturbation was worse
than strangling small animals. Then he followed up with "You
masterbates don't you Duncan?"
Things went down hill from there.

I never saw that, presumably because they edited it further. I'm not old enough to have seen them when they first aired.

--
The reason people sweat is so that they won't catch fire when having sex.

Mark Lloyd[_12_] May 30th 16 09:39 PM

On 05/30/2016 02:01 PM, Bod wrote:
On 30/05/2016 19:32, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 05/30/2016 09:26 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

I'd probably still smoke if I could have the occasional cig with no
addiction. I was close to a pack a day when I quit 40 years ago. One
or two a month is not a big deal but 20 a day sure is.

I always wonder what's so attractive about smoking. Like to have
something in your mouth? I'm sure you could find something better than
THAT.

Don't be filthy! ;-)

Sorry, I didn't mean to use those brown bytes.