DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Where should smoking be illegal? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/394935-where-should-smoking-illegal.html)

Bod[_3_] May 30th 16 01:53 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

On 30/05/2016 13:40, Bod wrote:
On 30/05/2016 12:58, bob haller wrote:
http://www.aol.com/article/2016/05/3...htmlws-main-bb

our country must kill smoking just as its killed so many users

Get a life!

Do you take prescription drugs?

Prescription Drugs Now Kill More People than Illegal Drugs - Mercola
articles.mercola.com/.../prescription-drugs-number-one-cause-preventable-death-in-us...

26 Oct 2011 - Death from Prescription Drugs: The New Epidemic Sweeping
Across America. ... Death by medicine is a 21st-century epidemic, and
America's "war on drugs" is clearly directed at the wrong enemy! ...
37,485 people died from drugs, a rate fueled by overdoses on
prescription pain and

--
Bod

(PeteCresswell) May 30th 16 02:49 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

Per :
I know it may just be anecdotal but my father, mother, sister and very
soon my brother in law are dead from smoking related disease. I do
have some personal experience here. My grandfather did live to be 100
and he didn't smoke, but he was around smokers all his life.

Call me a cynic, but I think that what is behind at least 80 percent of
the "Second-Hand Smoke" thing is that people just can't deal with the
stink.... and it's not cool to complain about the smell, so they revert
to more PC issues.
--
Pete Cresswell

(PeteCresswell) May 30th 16 02:53 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

Per Mr Macaw:
Unless he's continuing to smoke the cigarette, I don't see the problem.

If you smoke, you would not see the problem. When I smoked, I could
not understand why a woman I knew always complained about the smell of
her clothes and hair when she came home from work as a barmaid....my
olfactory senses had adapted to it and I did not notice it.

The problem is that he *stinks*, his breath stinks, his clothes stink,
and when he exhales that last lung full of smoke into the elevator *it*
stinks....
--
Pete Cresswell

(PeteCresswell) May 30th 16 03:00 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

Per :
The "chemicals" are in such a minor trace amount that they are not
actually harmful. You are simply offended by the smell.

The same can be said of farting.

But look how social norms have evolved in that respect.

Passing gas is simply not acceptable in polite company at any time in
any place..... Period... and, AFIK, it has been that way for a
looooooong time.

My take is that, now that most people don't smoke and can smell the
stink, the social norms around smoking are simply catching up those
around farting.
--
Pete Cresswell

Bod[_3_] May 30th 16 03:15 PM

On 30/05/2016 15:00, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per :
The "chemicals" are in such a minor trace amount that they are not
actually harmful. You are simply offended by the smell.

The same can be said of farting.

But look how social norms have evolved in that respect.

Passing gas is simply not acceptable in polite company at any time in
any place..... Period... and, AFIK, it has been that way for a
looooooong time.

My take is that, now that most people don't smoke and can smell the
stink, the social norms around smoking are simply catching up those
around farting.

Give it time and the government will insist on farting rooms for
flatulent releases. Anyone found farting outside the designated room
will be executed.

--
Bod

Ed Pawlowski May 30th 16 03:26 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

On 5/30/2016 12:14 AM, Diesel wrote:

The last time I ate out in Virginia, smoking was not only allowed,
but encouraged. I found a clean, ash tray at every table. :) I don't
smoke very often, but, I do enjoy being able to light one up every
now and then. It's certainly no worse for me than breathing in the
crap spewed forth from the vehicles people insist on driving around
here.

I'd probably still smoke if I could have the occasional cig with no
addiction. I was close to a pack a day when I quit 40 years ago. One
or two a month is not a big deal but 20 a day sure is.

Mr Macaw May 30th 16 03:35 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2016 14:49:18 +0100, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per :
I know it may just be anecdotal but my father, mother, sister and very
soon my brother in law are dead from smoking related disease. I do
have some personal experience here. My grandfather did live to be 100
and he didn't smoke, but he was around smokers all his life.

Call me a cynic, but I think that what is behind at least 80 percent of
the "Second-Hand Smoke" thing is that people just can't deal with the
stink.... and it's not cool to complain about the smell, so they revert
to more PC issues.

But the smell is nice.

--
My wife sat down on the couch next to me as I was changing channels. She asked, what's on TV?
I said, Dust.

Mr Macaw May 30th 16 03:36 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2016 14:53:54 +0100, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per Mr Macaw:
Unless he's continuing to smoke the cigarette, I don't see the problem.

If you smoke, you would not see the problem. When I smoked, I could
not understand why a woman I knew always complained about the smell of
her clothes and hair when she came home from work as a barmaid....my
olfactory senses had adapted to it and I did not notice it.

The problem is that he *stinks*, his breath stinks, his clothes stink,
and when he exhales that last lung full of smoke into the elevator *it*
stinks....

I'm not a smoker. But I like the smell of it and will take a cigarette if offered one. But I don't see the point in smoking (tobacco) regularly as it has no effect on me whatsoever.

[email protected] May 30th 16 03:50 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

On Mon, 30 May 2016 04:51:14 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On Monday, May 30, 2016 at 7:48:53 AM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
well heres another aspect to consider

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/05/3...htmlws-main-bb

Short term costs may show some decrease but long term costs are
higher. Smokers die earlier and are not as much burden on medicare,
medicaid and social security. All 3 of them are going broke.

[email protected] May 30th 16 03:53 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

On Mon, 30 May 2016 09:49:18 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per :
I know it may just be anecdotal but my father, mother, sister and very
soon my brother in law are dead from smoking related disease. I do
have some personal experience here. My grandfather did live to be 100
and he didn't smoke, but he was around smokers all his life.

Call me a cynic, but I think that what is behind at least 80 percent of
the "Second-Hand Smoke" thing is that people just can't deal with the
stink.... and it's not cool to complain about the smell, so they revert
to more PC issues.

The people who are the most fervent are the ex-smokers and I suspect
that is because they fear starting up again if they smell the smoke
and see others smoking. Everyone I know who falls off the wagon, does
it because they are around other smokers and decide to "just have
one". It is like recovering alcoholics who want to shut down all the
bars and ban drinking.

[email protected] May 30th 16 03:56 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

On Mon, 30 May 2016 10:00:14 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per :
The "chemicals" are in such a minor trace amount that they are not
actually harmful. You are simply offended by the smell.

The same can be said of farting.

But look how social norms have evolved in that respect.

Passing gas is simply not acceptable in polite company at any time in
any place..... Period... and, AFIK, it has been that way for a
looooooong time.

My take is that, now that most people don't smoke and can smell the
stink, the social norms around smoking are simply catching up those
around farting.

The difference is you can't be arrested for farting.
Again I will point out the thread refers to "illegal", not that it is
shunned by the community.

[email protected] May 30th 16 04:00 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2016 10:26:51 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/30/2016 12:14 AM, Diesel wrote:

The last time I ate out in Virginia, smoking was not only allowed,
but encouraged. I found a clean, ash tray at every table. :) I don't
smoke very often, but, I do enjoy being able to light one up every
now and then. It's certainly no worse for me than breathing in the
crap spewed forth from the vehicles people insist on driving around
here.

I'd probably still smoke if I could have the occasional cig with no
addiction. I was close to a pack a day when I quit 40 years ago. One
or two a month is not a big deal but 20 a day sure is.

I guess that may be why I am ambivalent about it. I can smoke half a
cigar with the guys, put it away and not think of it again. I am
around smokers all the time and not feel the urge. As I said in my
other note, almost everyone in my family smoked and most of them are
dead from it. The notable one who didn't lived to be 100. Lesson
learned and the government had nothing to do with it.

Mr Macaw May 30th 16 04:00 PM

wrote:

[...]

Except neither tobacco or alcohol are addictive.

--
The Official MBA Handbook on business cards: Avoid overly pretentious job titles such as "Lord of the Realm, Defender of the Faith, Emperor of India" or "Director of Corporate Planning."

Kurt V. Ullman May 30th 16 04:19 PM

wrote:

On Monday, May 30, 2016 at 7:48:53 AM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
well heres another aspect to consider

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/05/3...htmlws-main-bb

Short term costs may show some decrease but long term costs are
higher. Smokers die earlier and are not as much burden on medicare,
medicaid and social security. All 3 of them are going broke.

There was a study about 15 or 20 years ago (that was promptly ignored)
actually showing that over all cigarette smoking was probably a savings.
They looked at this, plus the costs of the healthcare until they died,
lost productivity, something I can't remember how they phrased it that
took into account lost taxes and wages from early death, etc.

Mike Duffy[_5_] May 30th 16 04:22 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

On Mon, 30 May 2016 04:14:42 -0000 (UTC), Diesel wrote:

[..] they're illegal in various states, eh? Hands
free or not. Don't talk on your cell while you're driving.

On the face of it, this does make sense. Using a cell phone (or CB radio,
or even adjusting the volume on an AM/FM radio) will cause some
distraction, hands-free or not.

Everyone seems on board regarding texting while driving, or using phones
that require manual operation.

But what about smoking in a car, or eating a high-dexterity snack? Most
jurisdictions have laws against doing *anything* likely to impair driving
efficiency, and yet we still see people reading newspapers and applying
make-up.

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

burfordTjustice May 30th 16 04:26 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

On Mon, 30 May 2016 04:14:42 -0000 (UTC)
Diesel wrote:

She lives in a trailer.

Nope.

Bod[_3_] May 30th 16 04:58 PM

On 30/05/2016 16:26, burfordTjustice wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2016 04:14:42 -0000 (UTC)
Diesel wrote:

She lives in a trailer.

Nope.

And where she lives has nothing to do with this conversation.

--
Bod

Ed Pawlowski May 30th 16 05:08 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

On 5/30/2016 2:43 AM, Bod wrote:

Ok, this lady is an example of what I am talking about:

This 122 Year Old Woman Has The Most Important Secret To A Life Of ...
http://www.collective-evolution.com/...st-important-s...

The oldest documented person that ever lived was a French woman named
Jeanne Calment who made it to 122 years, 164 days on this earth.

What was her secret? According to French researcher Jean-Marie Robine,
“She never did anything special to stay in good health.”

Jeanne Calment smoked cigarettes (started at age 21), drank port wine
and ate a couple of pounds of chocolate sweets a week until she was 119
years old.

Some will ask, if she did not smoke would she have lived to 135? Or 75?

Muggles[_11_] May 30th 16 05:25 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

On 5/30/2016 12:27 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 29 May 2016 23:51:29 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 5/29/2016 9:58 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 29 May 2016 14:53:10 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 5/29/2016 12:59 PM,
wrote:

Again you are confusing "offence" with "health"

How's that? The stench of secondhand smoke contains all the bad
chemicals that the smoke itself contains. It's still about health.

The "chemicals" are in such a minor trace amount that they are not
actually harmful. You are simply offended by the smell.

You're wrong about the chemicals, AND about me simply being offended by
the smell.

http://www.no-smoke.org/learnmore.php?id=671

Give me a real science study, not a hit piece from a group who says
"no smoke" in their name.
I can find a "study" from some fundamentalist organization that says
people are "harmed" by damned near anything.

Did you try the links referenced in the article? I'm guessing you didn't
even read the article or try the links to the studies it referenced.

http://www.no-smoke.org/learnmore.php?id=671

http://eetd.lbl.gov/node/49332

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...m&ordinalpos=1

http://www.pnas.org/content/107/15/6576.full.pdf

http://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/conten... c=relevance&r

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...+local +token

--
Maggie

Muggles[_11_] May 30th 16 05:26 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

On 5/30/2016 1:23 AM, Bod wrote:
On 29/05/2016 20:50, Muggles wrote:
On 5/29/2016 12:55 PM, wrote:

OK fine but why can't I have a smoking restaurant that you do not need
to go into?

Right now there are places like that. I don't know for how long they'll
exist, though.

I have heard tea totallers say the smell of alcohol offends them too
(even to the point of sickness) but we just tell them to stay out of
bars.

That's the whole point. If you don't like something, then avoid it,
simple, everyone's happy.

Do you think it's right to discriminate against non-smokers?

--
Maggie

[email protected] May 30th 16 05:27 PM

wrote:

[...]

Maybe in UK but everything people do here seems to be some kind of
"addiction". ;-)

Muggles[_11_] May 30th 16 05:29 PM

On 5/30/2016 9:00 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per :
The "chemicals" are in such a minor trace amount that they are not
actually harmful. You are simply offended by the smell.

The same can be said of farting.

But look how social norms have evolved in that respect.

Passing gas is simply not acceptable in polite company at any time in
any place..... Period... and, AFIK, it has been that way for a
looooooong time.

My take is that, now that most people don't smoke and can smell the
stink, the social norms around smoking are simply catching up those
around farting.

I think some people complain about the stink of cigarette smoke because
it smells bad, and others complain about the stink because it makes then
nauseous, and others complain about the stink because they get
physically ill.
--
Maggie

[email protected] May 30th 16 05:30 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

wrote:

On Monday, May 30, 2016 at 7:48:53 AM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
well heres another aspect to consider

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/05/3...htmlws-main-bb

Short term costs may show some decrease but long term costs are
higher. Smokers die earlier and are not as much burden on medicare,
medicaid and social security. All 3 of them are going broke.

There was a study about 15 or 20 years ago (that was promptly ignored)
actually showing that over all cigarette smoking was probably a savings.
They looked at this, plus the costs of the healthcare until they died,
lost productivity, something I can't remember how they phrased it that
took into account lost taxes and wages from early death, etc.

Considering that smoking is over represented in the community that
pays no taxes, I think this may be a slam dunk.

Mr Macaw May 30th 16 05:43 PM

People call things addictions when they enjoy them and want to do them again. That's not an addiction. Addictive things actually **** about with your brain's chemistry so you need them and if you don't get them you get withdrawal symptoms.

--
If one of the questions in a GCSE exam was "express 4.8% as a fraction", most would write "low battery".

Bod[_3_] May 30th 16 05:51 PM

wrote:

[...]

You're talking bull**** about cigarettes and alcohol *not* being addictive.

I get withdrawal symptoms from a lack of a cigarette. I gave up once for
3 weeks and it changed my character from being laid back to an angry
animal. So much so that my missus told me to start again.

--
Bod

(PeteCresswell) May 30th 16 05:55 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

Per Mr Macaw:
Except neither tobacco or .... are addictive.

Better review your information sources vis-a-vis tobacco.

It's an open-and-shut slam-dunk.

If you can cite any credible source anywhere that says tobacco is not
addictive, I might be interested to look at it.

--
Pete Cresswell

(PeteCresswell) May 30th 16 05:59 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

Per Mike Duffy:
...yet we still see people reading newspapers and applying
make-up.

That's no joke about reading newspapers. When was van pooling for a
couple of years, I got a chance to study the surrounding traffic and
regularly saw people reading newspapers while driving.

And I don't mean furtive glances.... I mean they were *reading* that
sucker.

I have no clue how somebody does that.... but have to conclude that some
people are vastly better at doing two things at the same time than I
ever will be.
--
Pete Cresswell

Mr Macaw May 30th 16 06:01 PM

wrote:

[...]

Must be just me then. I've never felt any compulsion that I must have something I stopped having.

--
Keyboard error - press any key to continue...

Mr Macaw May 30th 16 06:01 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2016 17:55:07 +0100, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per Mr Macaw:
Except neither tobacco or .... are addictive.

Better review your information sources vis-a-vis tobacco.

It's an open-and-shut slam-dunk.

If you can cite any credible source anywhere that says tobacco is not
addictive, I might be interested to look at it.

Personal experience.

--
If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in.

(PeteCresswell) May 30th 16 06:01 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

Per :
I guess that may be why I am ambivalent about it. I can smoke half a
cigar with the guys, put it away and not think of it again.

Be cautious about the cigars. In the place where I worked for 25
years, I saw several people start smoking cigars thinking they were
non-addictive... and they were.... for awhile... but eventually they
wound up sucking on a cigarette for much of the working day.
--
Pete Cresswell

Mr Macaw May 30th 16 06:02 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2016 18:01:34 +0100, Mr Macaw wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2016 17:55:07 +0100, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per Mr Macaw:
Except neither tobacco or .... are addictive.

Better review your information sources vis-a-vis tobacco.

It's an open-and-shut slam-dunk.

If you can cite any credible source anywhere that says tobacco is not
addictive, I might be interested to look at it.

Personal experience.

And that of a colleague who smoked 30 a day, then stopped suddenly because he had a boy, and his wife said they needed to save money. I noticed no change in his character.

--
If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in.

Mr Macaw May 30th 16 06:06 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

On Mon, 30 May 2016 17:55:07 +0100, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per Mr Macaw:
Except neither tobacco or .... are addictive.

Better review your information sources vis-a-vis tobacco.

It's an open-and-shut slam-dunk.

If you can cite any credible source anywhere that says tobacco is not
addictive, I might be interested to look at it.

Getting a bit grumpy because you're missing something you enjoy is not the same as almost dying due to a chemical imbalance. I suggest you look up addictions to some of the more powerful drugs people inject, then get things into perspective.

--
If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in.

Mr Macaw May 30th 16 06:12 PM

wrote:

[...]

Why was that the first thing that came to your head?

--
You keep believing, I'll keep evolving

Bod[_3_] May 30th 16 06:14 PM

wrote:

[...]

You never came into my head!!

--
Bod

[email protected] May 30th 16 06:32 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

On Mon, 30 May 2016 11:25:09 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 5/30/2016 12:27 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 29 May 2016 23:51:29 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 5/29/2016 9:58 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 29 May 2016 14:53:10 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 5/29/2016 12:59 PM,
wrote:

Again you are confusing "offence" with "health"

How's that? The stench of secondhand smoke contains all the bad
chemicals that the smoke itself contains. It's still about health.

The "chemicals" are in such a minor trace amount that they are not
actually harmful. You are simply offended by the smell.

You're wrong about the chemicals, AND about me simply being offended by
the smell.

http://www.no-smoke.org/learnmore.php?id=671

Give me a real science study, not a hit piece from a group who says
"no smoke" in their name.
I can find a "study" from some fundamentalist organization that says
people are "harmed" by damned near anything.

Did you try the links referenced in the article? I'm guessing you didn't
even read the article or try the links to the studies it referenced.

Any link that starts out "no-smoke" is going to be a biased hit piece
and any "science" that does not talk about dosage and the TLV is
hyperbole. I was the OSHA hazmat compliance officer among other duties
and I am very familiar with protocols around chemicals.
I imagine you are getting more harmful fumes from your nail polish
remover than any amount of second hand smoke you encounter. Read the
MSDS on that solvent sometime if you want to be scared. Simply
painting a toxic chemical on your nails is bad enough and god only
knows what is in the other cosmetics.

[email protected] May 30th 16 06:34 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

On 5/29/2016 12:55 PM, wrote:

OK fine but why can't I have a smoking restaurant that you do not need
to go into?

Right now there are places like that. I don't know for how long they'll
exist, though.

I have heard tea totallers say the smell of alcohol offends them too
(even to the point of sickness) but we just tell them to stay out of
bars.

That's the whole point. If you don't like something, then avoid it,
simple, everyone's happy.

Do you think it's right to discriminate against non-smokers?

We are not discriminating, they are welcome to come in if they want
but they should be aware of the hazard. It is like sitting at the
seats just above the glass at a hockey game. You see the game better
but you might get a puck in your teeth

[email protected] May 30th 16 06:40 PM

Where should smoking be illegal?

On Mon, 30 May 2016 18:01:34 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2016 17:55:07 +0100, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per Mr Macaw:
Except neither tobacco or .... are addictive.

Better review your information sources vis-a-vis tobacco.

It's an open-and-shut slam-dunk.

If you can cite any credible source anywhere that says tobacco is not
addictive, I might be interested to look at it.

Personal experience.

Addiction and the susceptibility to it is really different from person
to person. Some of us are fairly immune, others are very susceptible
and those folks can find themselves addicted to any number of things.
It might just be the lack of the "will power" gene.

Mr Macaw May 30th 16 06:41 PM

wrote:

[...]

You didn't suck hard enough.

--
The evening news is where they begin with "Good evening", and then proceed to tell you why it isn't.