Posted to alt.home.repair

Default F-150 vs Honda or Toyota Minivan: T-Bone Survivability ?

On 5/24/16 4:55 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Are there any EMT people out there that can comment on the relative
survivability of a t-bone crash in a Ford F-150 vs a Honda or Toyota
minivan?

The obvious industry spiel involves crumple zones and side air bags: the
F-150 lacking side air bags, yet having a more robust frame (in the
words of one person "My crumple zone begins at your bumper"....).

Has anybody had actual experience picking bodies out of these two
vehicle types ?

My agenda is that my F-150 lacks side air bags and I want to move to
something that has them: either a later model pickup or one of the two
aforementioned minivans.

But I don't want to go from the frying pan into the fire vis-a-vis the
basic laws of physics....

If you're that concerned about it, you'd be better served getting
insurance industry, Consumer Reports, or gov't crash safety info rather
than relying of the anecdotal impressions of a few guys on a newsgroup...

--
Want to close wage gap? Step One: Change your major from Gender Studies
or Feminist Dance Therapy to Electrical Engineering.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Wade Garrett:
If you're that concerned about it, you'd be better served getting
insurance industry, Consumer Reports, or gov't crash safety info rather
than relying of the anecdotal impressions of a few guys on a newsgroup...

My impression from reading quite a bit of that stuff is that much of it
is self-serving to the interests of "Greener" vehicles and/or
misleading.

They tend to emphasize things like the hazard of being belted into
something that does not crumble when it hits a tree, but ignore
really-obvious things like bumper height, side rail strength, and the
basic laws of physics (as in a beeeeeg car hits a little car....).

Tangentially, they totally ignore driver/passenger height and the
obvious negative implications of somebody having the top of their head
already in contact with the roof liner and then hitting something and
having the body thrown upwards and forward against the seat belts.

My thought when posting was that somebody in the EMT business might be
able to cut through some of that and give impressions from Real Life.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 10:59:14 AM UTC-4, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Wade Garrett:
[...]

While all of your assumptions about the "testing" vs. "real life" may be
correct, do you really think that you will get enough data in *this* ng to
make a solid choice?

1 - First, whittle the members of a.h.r down to the subset of EMTs.
2 - Whittle that subset down to the EMTs that have seen major accidents
3 - Whittle that subset down to the EMT's that have seen major accidents
involving the 3 specific vehicles you've ask about.
4 - Whittle that subset down to the EMTs that have seen major accidents
involving the 3 specific vehicles you've ask about over various years and
models/trim levels since the results may change based on the specific vehicles
involved.
5 - Whittle that subset down to the EMTs that have seen major accidents
involving the 3 specific vehicles you've ask about over various years and
models/trim levels *and* the accident was the specific type that you asked
about: the T-bone.

Not only will I be extremely surprised if you get one single answer that
fits your criteria, I can just about guarantee that you won't get enough
answers to actually make a decision.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/25/16 10:59 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Wade Garrett:
[...]

If you want hands-on opinions, try hanging out in a cop/fireman/EMT bar
Be ready to buy a few rounds, and ask away;-)

--
That we're even debating whether boys who think they're girls ought to
be able to shower with the girls signals society in collapse.