Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Any way to speed up drying for Tractor Spray Paint

Farm supply stores sell spray cans of Tractor paint. It matches the
tractor brand, such as John Deere green, International Harvester red,
Allis Chalmers orange, etc. This paint generally provides a good coating
and holds up well in the weather, but it takes days to dry. Unlike
general purpose spray paint, which is usually dry in an hour, and smells
like a laquer based paint, this tractor paint is more like an oil based
enamel.

On a real hot summer day, with the sun beating on the paint, it will dry
(to touch) in around 24 hours. But if the weather is cool and no sun, it
can take 3 days or more to dry so it can be handled.

Our weather is currently cool. I painted a few small tractor parts
outdoors, then brought them in the house to dry. Two days later, they
are still tacky to touch, and it's 68 deg. in the house. It almost seems
like they require direct sunshine to dry.

But until the weather warms up, I cant do much of anything, and thus can
not install these parts on my tractor. So far, my only thought is to put
a heat lamp above these parts.

Any other ideas to speed up the drying time?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 30, 2016 at 4:22:13 PM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Are you spooning it on? I have never encountered any paint that is still
tacky after two days. Oil paint can take a week or more to fully cure but
is is generally tack free after no more than eight hours, usually less.

+1

Sounds weird to me too. But if the parts will fit in his oven, he
could put them in there on low heat, maybe with the door open, etc.
My oven I can do 170 and I think that would be OK. He should probably
try some similar unpainted parts first just to gauge how hot it gets.

Paint not drying Another John UK diy 7 August 1st 15 12:46 PM
How does epoxy spray paint work, and should I paint at all? mm Home Repair 9 December 7th 08 05:09 PM
tractor saw bench cutting speed habbi Metalworking 11 September 7th 05 05:13 AM
Any way to speed up putty drying...? Jim UK diy 9 March 18th 05 02:38 PM
indoor walls: spray paint or roll paint with rollers? Ari Shapiro Home Repair 3 November 17th 03 09:17 PM