DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Plastic tags (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/393650-plastic-tags.html)

Don Y[_3_] April 25th 16 06:28 PM

Plastic tags

Generic credit card sized (business card sized?) PLAIN sheets of
plastic that are either very durable (unlikely to break when flexed)
*or* flexible.

Best guess I can come up with is a PVC gutter and a pair of shears?
(Hmmm... maybe a grade-school paper cutter might make easier
work of it?)

Oren[_2_] April 25th 16 06:40 PM

Plastic tags

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 10:28:04 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

Generic credit card sized (business card sized?) PLAIN sheets of
plastic that are either very durable (unlikely to break when flexed)
*or* flexible.

Best guess I can come up with is a PVC gutter and a pair of shears?
(Hmmm... maybe a grade-school paper cutter might make easier
work of it?)

Damnedest things people can find with a 10 second search.

https://plastekcards.com/ (home)

_Blank Plastic Cards_ (PVC)

https://plastekcards.com/product-cards/blank-cards/

FrozenNorth[_9_] April 25th 16 06:40 PM

Plastic tags

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/blank-credit-cards

--
Froz....

---

Don Y[_3_] April 25th 16 06:48 PM

Plastic tags

On 2016-04-25 1:28 PM, Don Y wrote:
Generic credit card sized (business card sized?) PLAIN sheets of
plastic that are either very durable (unlikely to break when flexed)
*or* flexible.

Best guess I can come up with is a PVC gutter and a pair of shears?
(Hmmm... maybe a grade-school paper cutter might make easier
work of it?)

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/blank-credit-cards

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm not looking for blank credit cards
*or* business cards. Rather, pieces of plastic that are *about*
that size (easier to suggest an item that conjures a general
size in people's minds than to specify a set of various sizes).

Hence the appeal of cutting a PVC gutter to the ACTUAL size(s)
that I require (I'm not aware of "generic sheets of PVC material"
that I can buy locally; OTOH, I can get a gutter pretty easily!)

[email protected] April 25th 16 07:18 PM

Plastic tags

On 2016-04-25 1:28 PM, Don Y wrote:
Generic credit card sized (business card sized?) PLAIN sheets of
plastic that are either very durable (unlikely to break when flexed)
*or* flexible.

Best guess I can come up with is a PVC gutter and a pair of shears?
(Hmmm... maybe a grade-school paper cutter might make easier
work of it?)

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/blank-credit-cards

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm not looking for blank credit cards
*or* business cards. Rather, pieces of plastic that are *about*
that size (easier to suggest an item that conjures a general
size in people's minds than to specify a set of various sizes).

Hence the appeal of cutting a PVC gutter to the ACTUAL size(s)
that I require (I'm not aware of "generic sheets of PVC material"
that I can buy locally; OTOH, I can get a gutter pretty easily!)

I'm not understanding this thread, but if you want plastic tags, you can
buy cattle ear tags at any farm supply store. They are numbered and made
to be put on the ears of cattle. A screw will hold them to other stuff
and they are about the size of a credit card.

I once worked at a hospital doing maintenance and they wanted to label
the valves in the boiler room. I bought some of these cattle tags, wired
them on the valves and made a chart explaining the purpose of each valve
according to the number. It worked great. These tags are very durable
too.

Dont know if this helps, or not, because this tread was very poorly
explained, but if labelling is desired, this works well. They also come
in a variety of colors.

TimR[_2_] April 25th 16 07:38 PM

Plastic tags

On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 1:48:47 PM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:
).

Hence the appeal of cutting a PVC gutter to the ACTUAL size(s)
that I require (I'm not aware of "generic sheets of PVC material"
that I can buy locally; OTOH, I can get a gutter pretty easily!)

How many do you need? I've cut scraps out of a laundry detergent bottle for similar applications. You might have to scrounge your neighbors's recycling bins after dark if you need a lot.

Retired[_2_] April 25th 16 07:48 PM

Plastic tags

On 2016-04-25 1:28 PM, Don Y wrote:
Generic credit card sized (business card sized?) PLAIN sheets of
plastic that are either very durable (unlikely to break when flexed)
*or* flexible.

Best guess I can come up with is a PVC gutter and a pair of shears?
(Hmmm... maybe a grade-school paper cutter might make easier
work of it?)

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/blank-credit-cards

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm not looking for blank credit cards
*or* business cards. Rather, pieces of plastic that are *about*
that size (easier to suggest an item that conjures a general
size in people's minds than to specify a set of various sizes).

Hence the appeal of cutting a PVC gutter to the ACTUAL size(s)
that I require (I'm not aware of "generic sheets of PVC material"
that I can buy locally; OTOH, I can get a gutter pretty easily!)

Maybe, or need thicker ?

http://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hob...Sheets/p/97972

Don Y[_3_] April 25th 16 08:27 PM

Plastic tags

On 4/25/2016 12:22 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 12:28:25 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:

Generic credit card sized (business card sized?) PLAIN sheets of
plastic that are either very durable (unlikely to break when flexed)
*or* flexible.

Best guess I can come up with is a PVC gutter and a pair of shears?
(Hmmm... maybe a grade-school paper cutter might make easier
work of it?)

Plexiglass?

I think that would be too brittle (in thin enough sheets to make
cutting easy).

I offered "credit cards" as an idea as that's about the "sturdiness"
that I need. Yet, cutting a credit card (e.g., in half when it
expires) is relatively easy.

Cutting with scissors/shears is easier (and more versatile) than
with a "saw"

Don Y[_3_] April 25th 16 08:34 PM

Plastic tags

On 2016-04-25 1:28 PM, Don Y wrote:
Generic credit card sized (business card sized?) PLAIN sheets of
plastic that are either very durable (unlikely to break when flexed)
*or* flexible.

Best guess I can come up with is a PVC gutter and a pair of shears?
(Hmmm... maybe a grade-school paper cutter might make easier
work of it?)
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/blank-credit-cards

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm not looking for blank credit cards
*or* business cards. Rather, pieces of plastic that are *about*
that size (easier to suggest an item that conjures a general
size in people's minds than to specify a set of various sizes).

Hence the appeal of cutting a PVC gutter to the ACTUAL size(s)
that I require (I'm not aware of "generic sheets of PVC material"
that I can buy locally; OTOH, I can get a gutter pretty easily!)

Maybe, or need thicker ?

I'll guess that 0.030" is pretty flexible (depends on the type of plastic).
My library card is about that thickness -- though I suspect stiffer -- and
it would be too flimsy.

Don Y[_3_] April 25th 16 08:39 PM

Plastic tags

On 4/25/2016 11:38 AM, TimR wrote:
On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 1:48:47 PM UTC-4, Don Y wrote: ).

Hence the appeal of cutting a PVC gutter to the ACTUAL size(s) that I
require (I'm not aware of "generic sheets of PVC material" that I can buy
locally; OTOH, I can get a gutter pretty easily!)

How many do you need?

Several dozen. I figured the PVC gutter was about the right amount of
"raw material" (considering I would have to discard the "curved" portions)

I've cut scraps out of a laundry detergent bottle for similar applications.
You might have to scrounge your neighbors's recycling bins after dark if you
need a lot.

I'm not sure that's stiff enough -- but it sure would be *tough* enough.
Finding a "flat" piece might be problematic (as even the bottoms aren't
really flat).

Hmmm... maybe one of the square-ish clear plastic containers (with oversized
screw-on lid -- like the containers in which Costco sells cashews) could
provide the "raw material"...

And, actually, I think one neighbor uses a brand of coffee that comes in
a plastic container that might be suitable.

Thanks!

DerbyDad03 April 25th 16 08:40 PM

Plastic tags

On 2016-04-25 1:28 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

....yet once again, you won't tell us what it's for. You must really enjoy
playing that game.

Scott Lurndal April 25th 16 09:31 PM

Plastic tags

https://www.premier1supplies.com/c/e...lies/ear_tags/
https://www.valleyvet.com/c/livestoc...dlot-tags.html

Retired[_2_] April 25th 16 09:49 PM

Plastic tags

On 2016-04-25 1:28 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

How about this then, 1 mm/.039 in thick plexi

http://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hob...iglass/p/21918

[email protected] April 25th 16 09:58 PM

Plastic tags

wrote:

Generic credit card sized (business card sized?) PLAIN sheets of
plastic that are either very durable (unlikely to break when flexed)
*or* flexible.

Best guess I can come up with is a PVC gutter and a pair of shears?
(Hmmm... maybe a grade-school paper cutter might make easier
work of it?)

Buy a sheet of Lexan.,

[email protected] April 25th 16 09:59 PM

Plastic tags

On 2016-04-25 1:28 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

What is the "top secret" use for these cards?? Might make
recomendations a lot easier.

Don Y[_3_] April 25th 16 10:38 PM

Plastic tags

On 2016-04-25 1:28 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

As I said elsewhere (ItsJoan?), I think lexan would be too brittle/stiff.

Take an old credit card. You can bend, mangle, twist, etc. it with
impunity. And, still coerce it back to its original shape.

THICK lexan won't break (without extreme acts of violence) but thin will.

I'm going to go buy a vinyl gutter and have at it with some snips...

Oren[_2_] April 25th 16 11:17 PM

Plastic tags

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 12:40:11 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

...yet once again, you won't tell us what it's for. You must really enjoy
playing that game.

Glad you understand. Seen it for months now. No answer is an answer
he wants. Chicken lips and frog hairs. Everything must be in exact
order. Cut twice and measure once :)

[email protected] April 25th 16 11:22 PM

Plastic tags

I'm going to go buy a vinyl gutter and have at it with some snips...

What type of snips are you going to use ?
tin snips ; household snips; garden snips ...
.... any particular colour of vinyl gutter ?
Sheeesh.
John T.

Oren[_2_] April 25th 16 11:27 PM

Plastic tags

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 16:59:59 -0400, wrote:

What is the "top secret" use for these cards?? Might make
recomendations a lot easier.

Donnie works undercover, double top secret super probation stuff.
Secret hand shakes, lip-locks and hand holds under covers.

Yankees in Phoenix tend to be special or they think so.

TimR[_2_] April 26th 16 01:20 PM

Plastic tags

On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 6:27:55 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 16:59:59 -0400, wrote:

What is the "top secret" use for these cards?? Might make
recomendations a lot easier.

Donnie works undercover, double top secret super probation stuff.
Secret hand shakes, lip-locks and hand holds under covers.

Somebody buy him a 3-D printer and get him off the radar for a while.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] April 26th 16 02:13 PM

Plastic tags

On 4/25/2016 1:28 PM, Don Y wrote:
Generic credit card sized (business card sized?) PLAIN sheets of
plastic that are either very durable (unlikely to break when flexed)
*or* flexible.

Best guess I can come up with is a PVC gutter and a pair of shears?
(Hmmm... maybe a grade-school paper cutter might make easier
work of it?)

What's the intended use?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Thomas April 26th 16 03:38 PM

Plastic tags

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 9:13:35 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
What's the intended use?

He's making plastic rectangles. Sheeeesh.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] April 26th 16 05:15 PM

Plastic tags

On 4/26/2016 10:38 AM, Thomas wrote:
On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 9:13:35 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
What's the intended use?

He's making plastic rectangles. Sheeeesh.

I have this urge to one up you, and
make plastic pentagons.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Tekkie® April 27th 16 08:18 PM

Plastic tags

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

...yet once again, you won't tell us what it's for. You must really enjoy
playing that game.

Glad you understand. Seen it for months now. No answer is an answer
he wants. Chicken lips and frog hairs. Everything must be in exact
order. Cut twice and measure once :)

Get in line for the FREE circumcisions.

--
Tekkie

Tekkie® April 27th 16 08:28 PM

Plastic tags

Oren posted for all of us...

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 16:59:59 -0400, wrote:

What is the "top secret" use for these cards?? Might make
recomendations a lot easier.

Donnie works undercover, double top secret super probation stuff.
Secret hand shakes, lip-locks and hand holds under covers.

Yankees in Phoenix tend to be special or they think so.

You have to open the headers to get them. When you find the correct one and
click on it you will be directed to the "vault" over a technically advanced
network of electronic wizardry that surpasses the no command to the Klinton
server where one will have unlimited funding to feel the Bern.

--
Tekkie