Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shimming a toilet

I have a wobbly toilet and I want to fix it before it works lose from
the wax ring and leaks. Is this something I can do or should I call
plumber? Do I need anything special or just the wood shims like are used
for window installation, etc.?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 19:03:48 -0400, "Kurt V. Ullman"
wrote:

I have a wobbly toilet and I want to fix it before it works lose from
the wax ring and leaks. Is this something I can do or should I call
plumber? Do I need anything special or just the wood shims like are used
for window installation, etc.?

HD plumbing section has nylon toilet shims. Wood shims can rot or
crack. Use nylon shims
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/17/2016 7:03 PM, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
I have a wobbly toilet and I want to fix it before it works lose from
the wax ring and leaks. Is this something I can do or should I call
plumber? Do I need anything special or just the wood shims like are used
for window installation, etc.?

I'd not use wood shims on a toilet. They may work temporarily, but
eventually water will destroy them.

What is the real problem" Rusted/broken hold down bolt?

I don't know your skill level, but pulling a toilet is fairly simple if
you can pick up the weight Shut off the water and flush to empty the
tank as best you can. Take the feed tubing off. Take the nuts off the
hold down bolts and lift the bowl. Now you can inspect and figute out
what is broke. Seal and bolts are pretty cheap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 19:38:16 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/17/2016 7:03 PM, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
I have a wobbly toilet and I want to fix it before it works lose from
the wax ring and leaks. Is this something I can do or should I call
plumber? Do I need anything special or just the wood shims like are used
for window installation, etc.?

I'd not use wood shims on a toilet. They may work temporarily, but
eventually water will destroy them.

What is the real problem" Rusted/broken hold down bolt?

I don't know your skill level, but pulling a toilet is fairly simple if
you can pick up the weight Shut off the water and flush to empty the
tank as best you can. Take the feed tubing off. Take the nuts off the
hold down bolts and lift the bowl. Now you can inspect and figute out
what is broke. Seal and bolts are pretty cheap.

Sometimes the floor is just not level. I had one like that and I
bedded it in tile grout, then cleaned up the base with a sponge. Just
be sure to use a new wax ring so you are not right back in there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 19:50:09 -0400, wrote:

[...]

Strange for me was using shims (nylon) after tile was put down. I was
present with the tile guy to make sure things were level. I checked
with sorts of levels.. Never figured out why (maybe now) why I needed
shims. It was a concrete slab that was level to.

A trick _ sit on the bowl and rock it. Know where the shims will work.

Off to buy me a new toilet that meets my ole man needs
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/17/2016 4:38 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/17/2016 7:03 PM, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
I have a wobbly toilet and I want to fix it before it works lose from
the wax ring and leaks. Is this something I can do or should I call
plumber? Do I need anything special or just the wood shims like are used
for window installation, etc.?

I'd not use wood shims on a toilet. They may work temporarily, but
eventually water will destroy them.

What is the real problem" Rusted/broken hold down bolt?

I don't know your skill level, but pulling a toilet is fairly simple if
you can pick up the weight Shut off the water and flush to empty the
tank as best you can. Take the feed tubing off. Take the nuts off the
hold down bolts and lift the bowl. Now you can inspect and figute out
what is broke. Seal and bolts are pretty cheap.

You might run into trouble, however, if you determine that the "nutz"
have nothing to do with the ****ter.
Just sayin'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shimming a toilet-success!

On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 8:06:35 AM UTC-7, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:

All it needed was to tighten down the bolts. They could be turned 3x by
hand so I snugged them up and all was well again! Thanks to all for the
assist.

Old cast iron flange rusted out on one side so I installed one of these
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/nx4UjcERPAk/hqdefault.jpg
instead of spending 500 bucks for a plumber to melt out the lead and replace the unit.
But it raised the toilet about 1/8" above the floor so used a few plastic shims to level it.
Planned on replacing the entire drain system under the house this Summer with ABS but the stinking city ordinances only allows cast iron (not that's gonna stop me anyways)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 11:06:31 -0400, "Kurt V. Ullman"
wrote:

All it needed was to tighten down the bolts. They could be turned 3x by
hand so I snugged them up and all was well again! Thanks to all for the
assist.

Glad it worked out for you, Kurt. Using shims isn't ordinarily
correct. I follow a lesson over the years. "Go back to where the
problem started".

Do the simple things first...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

Off to buy me a new toilet that meets my ole man needs

Get the air fluff model...

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 14:32:20 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Off to buy me a new toilet that meets my ole man needs

Get the air fluff model...

Dang right, I'm adding, maybe this one.

_Luxe Bidet Neo 120 - Self Cleaning Nozzle - Fresh Water Non-Electric
Mechanical Bidet Toilet Attachment _

https://tinyurl.com/jzwdafz

It may fluff me up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

Off to buy me a new toilet that meets my ole man needs

Get the air fluff model...

Dang right, I'm adding, maybe this one.

_Luxe Bidet Neo 120 - Self Cleaning Nozzle - Fresh Water Non-Electric
Mechanical Bidet Toilet Attachment _

https://tinyurl.com/jzwdafz

It may fluff me up.

Whatever you do; do not get the ATR!