Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wattage for a Gas Water Heater

According to:
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...2981-4,00.html

A GAS water heater uses 500 running watts, and 1500 watts to start it.

What the ****?
Gas water heaters dont use ANY electricity......

---
(copied from that web page, see second from the bottom)

Coffeemaker: 1,750 running watts, add 0 watts for starting
Freezer: 500 running watts, add 750 watts for starting
Furnace (1/4-hp fan): 600 running watts, add 1,000 watts for starting
Furnace (1/2-hp fan): 875 running watts, add 2,350 watts for starting
Lights: running watts are printed on bulb, add 0 watts for starting
Microwave Oven: 600-1,500 running watts, add 0 watts for starting
Refrigerator: 800 running watts, add 2,300 watts for starting
Room Air Conditioner: 2,000 running watts, add 6,000 watts for starting
Security System: 100-500 running watts, add 0 watts for starting
Space Heater: 1,100-1,500 running watts, add 0 watts for starting
Sump Pump: 800-1,050 running watts, add 1,300-2,500 watts for starting
TV/VCR: 400 running watts, add 0 watts for starting
Water Heater (electric): 3,000 running watts, add 3,000 watts for
starting
* Water Heater (gas): 500 running watts, add 1,500 watts for starting
Well Pump (1/2 hp): 1,000 running watts, add 2,100 watts for starting

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/16/2016 12:05 AM, wrote:
According to:
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...2981-4,00.html

A GAS water heater uses 500 running watts, and 1500 watts to start it.

Gas water heaters dont use ANY electricity......

Some models of gas WH are what's called power
vented. They discharge flue gassed through white
PVC pipe like newer furnace. In that case, there
is an inducer fan motor to feed with power.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 16, 2016 at 7:59:46 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 4/16/2016 12:05 AM, wrote:
According to:
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...2981-4,00.html

A GAS water heater uses 500 running watts, and 1500 watts to start it.

Gas water heaters dont use ANY electricity......

Some models of gas WH are what's called power
vented. They discharge flue gassed through white
PVC pipe like newer furnace. In that case, there
is an inducer fan motor to feed with power.

Plus those models typically use electric power
for the controls and ignition, which is probably
why it's higher to start it, eg hot surface ignitor, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/15/2016 11:05 PM, wrote:
According to:
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...2981-4,00.html

A GAS water heater uses 500 running watts, and 1500 watts to start it.

What the ****?
Gas water heaters dont use ANY electricity......
\

"Watt" is simply the term for the rate of energy transfer,
It does not have to be measured in terms of volts x amps.

Interestingly , I just read the autobiography of Lee deForest and at one
point in the book referred to the "horsepower" of a radio transmitter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 16, 2016 at 8:48:57 AM UTC-4, philo wrote:
On 04/15/2016 11:05 PM, wrote:
According to:
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...2981-4,00.html

A GAS water heater uses 500 running watts, and 1500 watts to start it.

What the ****?
Gas water heaters dont use ANY electricity......
\

"Watt" is simply the term for the rate of energy transfer,
It does not have to be measured in terms of volts x amps.

Interestingly , I just read the autobiography of Lee deForest and at one
point in the book referred to the "horsepower" of a radio transmitter.

But here they are talking about the electric power.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/15/2016 11:05 PM, wrote:
According to:
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...2981-4,00.html

A GAS water heater uses 500 running watts, and 1500 watts to start it.

What the ****?
Gas water heaters dont use ANY electricity......
\

"Watt" is simply the term for the rate of energy transfer,
It does not have to be measured in terms of volts x amps.

Interestingly , I just read the autobiography of Lee deForest and at one
point in the book referred to the "horsepower" of a radio transmitter.

But here they are talking about the electric power.

Oh, I did not read that.
Obviously it's wrong then
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/15/2016 11:05 PM, wrote:
According to:
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...2981-4,00.html

A GAS water heater uses 500 running watts, and 1500 watts to start it.

What the ****?
Gas water heaters dont use ANY electricity......
\

"Watt" is simply the term for the rate of energy transfer,
It does not have to be measured in terms of volts x amps.

Interestingly , I just read the autobiography of Lee deForest and at one
point in the book referred to the "horsepower" of a radio transmitter.

But here they are talking about the electric power.

Oh, I did not read that.
Obviously it's wrong then

No, obviously it's right, if it's a power vent water heater,
which are common today.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 16, 2016 at 7:48:57 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 04/15/2016 11:05 PM, wrote:
According to:
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...2981-4,00.html

A GAS water heater uses 500 running watts, and 1500 watts to start it.

What the ****?
Gas water heaters dont use ANY electricity......
\

"Watt" is simply the term for the rate of energy transfer,
It does not have to be measured in terms of volts x amps.

Interestingly , I just read the autobiography of Lee deForest and at one
point in the book referred to the "horsepower" of a radio transmitter.

As I recall, in Europe engine power is rated in kilowatts instead of horsepower. I think it's the DIN standard. o_O

[8~{} Uncle DIN Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/15/2016 10:05 PM, wrote:
According to:
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...2981-4,00.html

A GAS water heater uses 500 running watts, and 1500 watts to start it.

What the ****?
Gas water heaters dont use ANY electricity......

---
(copied from that web page, see second from the bottom)

* Water Heater (gas): 500 running watts, add 1,500 watts for starting

Looks pretty accurate to me.

My Lochinvar LVN041G Power Vent Water Heater
40,000 BTU Natural Gas
uses 2.7 Amps (~325 Watts)

(measured with a Fluke 902 HVAC Clamp Meter)

and if those facts don't put you to sleep, consider this:

An 8 minute shower causes the heater to run for 26 minutes.

If knew the price per MCF of gas, I could calculate the cost of a shower...but I'm too lazy to go look it up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 00:05:20 -0400, wrote:

[...]

Power vent water heaters with no standing pilot use some power to
operate - but 500 and 1500 sounds a bit high to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 16, 2016 at 11:12:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

It came from a generator sizing chart, which are dubious at best.
I agree, it looked high to me too. They also have 800W for a fridge
and 400W for a TV. Fridges of the last decade or so use about half
that. My new 55" TV uses ~75W. Who knows where their numbers
really came from, how old they are, etc. They probably use high
end of possible usage for everything. The real issue he had was
that he apparently didn't think a gas water heater would use electric,
but the power vent type do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/16/2016 09:01 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, April 16, 2016 at 9:25:45 AM UTC-4, philo wrote:
On 04/16/2016 08:11 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, April 16, 2016 at 8:48:57 AM UTC-4, philo wrote:
On 04/15/2016 11:05 PM, wrote:
According to:

Oh, I did not read that.
Obviously it's wrong then

No, obviously it's right, if it's a power vent water heater,
which are common today.

If it has an exhaust motor that draws 500 watts when running then it
would be about a 2/3 HP motor...I'd think a 1/10th HP motor should be
able to move those exhaust gases OK for sure a 1/4 HP motor I'd think.

I was thinking of eventually getting such a water heater but may just go
with electric.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/16/2016 10:25 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

It came from a generator sizing chart, which are dubious at best.
I agree, it looked high to me too. They also have 800W for a fridge
and 400W for a TV. Fridges of the last decade or so use about half
that.

I was monitoring the current from my generator that I used after the
tornado last May. The first load I connected was the fridge (new
side-by-side from late 2008). It was using a little more than 1A (about
150W). I checked it several times,and it never exceeded that. I think my
TV (37-inch LCD with fluorescent backlight) is about that too.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Meaning is a human construct, and therefore I can assign life whatever
meaning I wish." - Peter Berger, in aa
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/15/2016 11:05 PM, wrote:
According to:

Oh, I did not read that.
Obviously it's wrong then

No, obviously it's right, if it's a power vent water heater,
which are common today.

If it has an exhaust motor that draws 500 watts when running then it
would be about a 2/3 HP motor...I'd think a 1/10th HP motor should be
able to move those exhaust gases OK for sure a 1/4 HP motor I'd think.

I was thinking of eventually getting such a water heater but may just go
with electric.

See my other post. I agree, I think those numbers are high, probably
half that or less is more like it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 16, 2016 at 12:38:18 PM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 04/16/2016 10:25 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

It came from a generator sizing chart, which are dubious at best.
I agree, it looked high to me too. They also have 800W for a fridge
and 400W for a TV. Fridges of the last decade or so use about half
that.

I was monitoring the current from my generator that I used after the
tornado last May. The first load I connected was the fridge (new
side-by-side from late 2008). It was using a little more than 1A (about
150W). I checked it several times,and it never exceeded that. I think my
TV (37-inch LCD with fluorescent backlight) is about that too.

Couple years ago during hurricane Sandy, I had a KillaWatt meter hooked
up with a generator too. Monitored a fridge and a freezer, both made
within the last 7 years. They kicked up to about 350W when started,
then immediately started dropping, down to like ~100W, consistent with
what you saw. I also had it on my 5 year old side by side KitchenAid
fridge, it pulls ~90W.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 07:48:53 -0500, philo wrote:

On 04/15/2016 11:05 PM, wrote:
According to:
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...2981-4,00.html

A GAS water heater uses 500 running watts, and 1500 watts to start it.

What the ****?
Gas water heaters dont use ANY electricity......
\

"Watt" is simply the term for the rate of energy transfer,
It does not have to be measured in terms of volts x amps.

That's true, but higher up the page it says "The chart below shows how
many watts of **electricity** it takes to run various household
appliances". It's about buying a generator and transfer switch.

And how could it use 1000 more watts of gas power for starting than
for running? The gas burnt is going to be the same, or close.

Interestingly , I just read the autobiography of Lee deForest and at one
point in the book referred to the "horsepower" of a radio transmitter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 00:05:20 -0400, wrote:

According to:
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...2981-4,00.html

A GAS water heater uses 500 running watts, and 1500 watts to start it.

What the ****?
Gas water heaters dont use ANY electricity......

It's a hybrid water heater. When there is gas, it heats the water
which powers a dynamo which charges storage batteries. When the gas
is interrupted, the batteries heat the water.

When you've got money, it's worth spending money to protect oneself
from problems, even less common ones.

---
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 15:10:59 -0400, Micky
wrote:

[...]

Channelling Stormy now, are we Mikey??
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...

[...]

****It is understandable that all this ratings are approximate.
"However "Any heater do not change power on the start or running
It remain constant, regardless if is immersion heater or glow coil heater,
It is same as your incandescent light bulb resistive load remain same.
This is monumental mistake on the part of writer.
I have dealt and use all of them.
Motors: any motor can have 4 times rated current on startup
The only motor I know of that current maybe les on the start is
Shaded polls motors, and depend on size and Manufacture
All others will have different current on start depend type and load.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 17, 2016 at 3:40:41 PM UTC-4, Tony944 wrote:
wrote in message ...

[...]

Of course the power can change and typically will change. For example,
a hot surface ignitor is only on for 30 secs or so for lighting the
burner of a water heater. And even those change resisance significantly as they heat up.

It is same as your incandescent light bulb resistive load remain same.

Except that it doesn't. The resistance of a light bulb increases
dramatically as it goes from cold to hot. I happens quickly, but
the effect is still there.

This is monumental mistake on the part of writer.

On the part of what writer?

I have dealt and use all of them.
Motors: any motor can have 4 times rated current on startup

Bingo. And power vent water heaters have a blower motor, which
is why they need that AC to power to begin with.

The only motor I know of that current maybe les on the start is
Shaded polls motors, and depend on size and Manufacture
All others will have different current on start depend type and load.

So, what exactly was your point again?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon writes:
On 4/16/2016 12:05 AM, wrote:
According to:
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...2981-4,00.html

A GAS water heater uses 500 running watts, and 1500 watts to start it.

Gas water heaters dont use ANY electricity......

Some models of gas WH are what's called power
vented. They discharge flue gassed through white
PVC pipe like newer furnace. In that case, there
is an inducer fan motor to feed with power.

No inducer motor will pull 500 watts.

OTOH, 500 watts is about 1700 BTU/hr.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 10:04:30 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Stormin Mormon writes:
On 4/16/2016 12:05 AM, wrote:
According to:
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...2981-4,00.html

A GAS water heater uses 500 running watts, and 1500 watts to start it.

Gas water heaters dont use ANY electricity......

Some models of gas WH are what's called power
vented. They discharge flue gassed through white
PVC pipe like newer furnace. In that case, there
is an inducer fan motor to feed with power.

No inducer motor will pull 500 watts.

OTOH, 500 watts is about 1700 BTU/hr.

So what? Are you suggesting that a table for emergency generator
sizing is listing the gas heating energy, not the AC power that's
used for the blower, ignitor, etc.? Good grief.

As to 500W being high, generator sizing charts are typically on
the high side, that has already been noted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/18/2016 10:04 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Stormin Mormon writes:
Some models of gas WH are what's called power
vented. They discharge flue gassed through white
PVC pipe like newer furnace. In that case, there
is an inducer fan motor to feed with power.

No inducer motor will pull 500 watts.

OTOH, 500 watts is about 1700 BTU/hr.

The one or two vented WH, the ventor motor
is much less than 500 watts. I suspect the
lists contain at least a couple wild guess.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

According to:
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...2981-4,00.html

A GAS water heater uses 500 running watts, and 1500 watts to start it.

What the ****?
Gas water heaters dont use ANY electricity......

It's a hybrid water heater. When there is gas, it heats the water
which powers a dynamo which charges storage batteries. When the gas
is interrupted, the batteries heat the water.

When you've got money, it's worth spending money to protect oneself
from problems, even less common ones.

Channelling Stormy now, are we Mikey??

I'm designing my dream house. And I understand if you make too much
hot water, you can sell it back to the hot water company.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/18/2016 8:38 PM, Micky wrote:

I'm designing my dream house. And I understand if you make too much
hot water, you can sell it back to the hot water company.

Got to realize, the hot water company only
pays out wholesale. So, you need to sell
back a LOT of hot water to make any money.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...

[...]

Average and in General hot water heaters do not have motors
and do not have electric igniters' some new **** that may be
but the older ones for many years did not have modern ****.

So, what is your point?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 1:21:17 PM UTC-4, Tony944 wrote:

Average and in General hot water heaters do not have motors
and do not have electric igniters' some new **** that may be
but the older ones for many years did not have modern ****.

So, what is your point?

I don't know what you consider an "average" or " in general" water heaters.
Power vent types are in widespread use, have been for 15 years or more
here, particularly for new construction. Take a look at HD, Lowes,
plumbing supply, they all stock them. And all that was sorted out
in the first few posts, ie that it's the power vent type that use
AC.