Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Anchor to asphalt

Hi All,
I am building a storage "room" under an outdoor staircase. The area
around the stairs is asphalt. I want to anchor the bottom walls to the
asphalt. I do plan on liquid nails but I'd like to "pin" if with
something. I find fancy special anchors for asphalt but I don't think
something like a storage shed require anything that special. LN should
do most of the holding so maybe just Tapcons or just regular nails as
asphalt is generally pretty soft. Has anyone tried something like this
or have an opinion? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/9/2016 8:35 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
Hi All,
I am building a storage "room" under an outdoor staircase. The area around the stairs is asphalt. I want to anchor the bottom walls to the asphalt. I do plan on liquid nails but I'd like to "pin" if with something. I find fancy special anchors for
asphalt but I don't think something like a storage shed require anything that special. LN should do most of the holding so maybe just Tapcons or just regular nails as asphalt is generally pretty soft. Has anyone tried something like this or have an
opinion? Thanks.

You should really ask the AHJ/building inspector when you get your construction permit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 09 Apr 2016 08:35:30 -0400, Art Todesco
wrote:

Hi All,
I am building a storage "room" under an outdoor staircase. The area
around the stairs is asphalt. I want to anchor the bottom walls to the
asphalt. I do plan on liquid nails but I'd like to "pin" if with
something. I find fancy special anchors for asphalt but I don't think
something like a storage shed require anything that special. LN should
do most of the holding so maybe just Tapcons or just regular nails as
asphalt is generally pretty soft. Has anyone tried something like this
or have an opinion? Thanks.

Get some 1/2" diameter rebar. Cut 12" or 16" pieces. Sharpen one end
with a grinder. Drill 9/16" holes in base 2x4, and drive them in. I'd
suggest *treated* 2x4 for base. You might silicone around the outside of
the walls to keep water from running under them.

I've seen a lot of those huge party tents set up on asphalt. They just
drive the large tent stakes right into it. (But they use a powered
driver).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 09:29:50 -0400, Dick wrote:

You should really ask the AHJ/building inspector when you get your construction permit.

Does Dick have a permit for using his Dick?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 04/09/2016 7:35 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
Hi All,
I am building a storage "room" under an outdoor staircase. The area
around the stairs is asphalt. I want to anchor the bottom walls to the
asphalt. I do plan on liquid nails but I'd like to "pin" if with
something. I find fancy special anchors for asphalt but I don't think
something like a storage shed require anything that special. LN should
do most of the holding so maybe just Tapcons or just regular nails as
asphalt is generally pretty soft. Has anyone tried something like this
or have an opinion? Thanks.

I'd not trust LN for anything long-term more than as simply a mastic
layer. Drive a long spike or three thru the baseplate will be enough to
just stop lateral movement for an infill, non-structural wall.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grip-Rite-3-8-in-x-10-in-Galvanized-Steel-Spike-Nails-50-lb-Pack-10HGSPK/100124434
there are also 12" or use a bar...I'm sure they'll have 'em in open lots
besides bulk pack, or Ace Hardware or somebody will...

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

I'd agree with the big nails. And while he says Liquid Nails, I would
take that to really mean one of the construction adhesive products and I'd
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 04/09/2016 9:10 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

I suppose some of the latter products will last; I know what he means
but my experience (all _quite_ dated, granted) is that they didn't
retain their adhesive qualities over time -- once hardened after a few
years the joint was brittle and either fractured or one surface or the
other simply failed at the joint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 07:10:32 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

I'd agree with the big nails. And while he says Liquid Nails, I would
take that to really mean one of the construction adhesive products and I'd
find one that is suited for outdoor, wet locations, etc. That stuff
is really strong.

Urethane caulk, "...it will stick to a ball of lard."

Used in building boxcars, buses -- seams around vehicle fender wells.

Get it on you and you have to chew off your fingers :-\
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 09 Apr 2016 09:33:19 -0500, dpb wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grip-Rite-3-8-in-x-10-in-Galvanized-Steel-Spike-Nails-50-lb-Pack-10HGSPK/100124434
there are also 12" or use a bar...I'm sure they'll have 'em in open lots
besides bulk pack, or Ace Hardware or somebody will...

Drive 'em with a two pound sledge.

Used similar when nailing ledger boards for a 13 X 22 room on the
second floor with a vaulted ceiling....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/9/2016 8:35 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
Hi All,
I am building a storage "room" under an outdoor staircase. The area
around the stairs is asphalt. I want to anchor the bottom walls to the
asphalt. I do plan on liquid nails but I'd like to "pin" if with
something. I find fancy special anchors for asphalt but I don't think
something like a storage shed require anything that special. LN should
do most of the holding so maybe just Tapcons or just regular nails as
asphalt is generally pretty soft. Has anyone tried something like this
or have an opinion? Thanks.

Thanks for all the information. When I get back from vacation, I'll
start on this project. I'll try to post the results. Thanks again.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.rec.driving

Default FART TODESCO, A WOP, TALKS ABOUT "Anchor to asphalt"-- when he reallymeans "Anchoring to Asphalt."

On 4/9/2016 5:35 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
Hi All,
I am building a storage "room" under an outdoor staircase. The area
around the stairs is asphalt. I want to anchor the bottom walls to the
asphalt. I do plan on liquid nails but I'd like to "pin" if with
something. I find fancy special anchors for asphalt but I don't think
something like a storage shed require anything that special. LN should
do most of the holding so maybe just Tapcons or just regular nails as
asphalt is generally pretty soft. Has anyone tried something like this
or have an opinion? Thanks.

Liquid nailz is wot Miss Recktum's asshole doctor used to close up her
well-penetrated asshole.
LOL

Posted to uk.rec.driving,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 07:54:45 -0700, "Colon Edmud Jackass Burchese of
Upper Michigan" wrote:

On 4/9/2016 5:35 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
Hi All,
I am building a storage "room" under an outdoor staircase. The area
around the stairs is asphalt. I want to anchor the bottom walls to the
asphalt. I do plan on liquid nails but I'd like to "pin" if with
something. I find fancy special anchors for asphalt but I don't think
something like a storage shed require anything that special. LN should
do most of the holding so maybe just Tapcons or just regular nails as
asphalt is generally pretty soft. Has anyone tried something like this
or have an opinion? Thanks.

Liquid nailz is wot Miss Recktum's asshole doctor used to close up her
well-penetrated asshole.
LOL

Not even Gorilla Glue could close up YERS, KKKoloon!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco posted for all of us...

On 4/9/2016 8:35 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
Hi All,
I am building a storage "room" under an outdoor staircase. The area
around the stairs is asphalt. I want to anchor the bottom walls to the
asphalt. I do plan on liquid nails but I'd like to "pin" if with
something. I find fancy special anchors for asphalt but I don't think
something like a storage shed require anything that special. LN should
do most of the holding so maybe just Tapcons or just regular nails as
asphalt is generally pretty soft. Has anyone tried something like this
or have an opinion? Thanks.

Thanks for all the information. When I get back from vacation, I'll
start on this project. I'll try to post the results. Thanks again.

Good luck with that. Asphalt does not have the properties (uplift) to
perform the service you want. Look at parking bumpers rebared to asphalt and
see the movement.

Asphalt is not concrete, Asphalt is stone in a bituminous mixture laid upon
a stone base to resist downward pressure. Potholes form when the seal is
broken and water enters and freezes blowing it apart. If you really want it
to resist uplift you will have to drive expansion or screw anchors deep into
the soil.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/11/2016 3:03 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
[...]

Well, true, but this is only a storage closet, essentially. No one will
be driving into the walls and hitting it. I figured just "gluing" the
footer to the asphalt should be good enough, however, it would be good
to pin it so it can't slide. So, I'll probably use a urethane product
as a glue and pin it with some long spike-like nails. I don't think
there is too much heaving due to weather in western NC, although there
might be some.

Posted to alt.home.repair

There is no way glue will work. You have to spike it.

But! I know you're going to ignore this but do so at your peril.

Whether you pull a permit or not you are required to call the utility location service first. If you don't, and you hit some line you didn't know was there, you're screwed even if you're not hurt. Of course if you hit a power line or gas line you may be more than screwed.

Whatever you put in will have your name on it for years. Do it right.
Posted to uk.rec.driving,alt.home.repair,alt.support.chronic-pain

Upper Michigan" wrote:

On 4/9/2016 5:35 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
Hi All,
I am building a storage "room" under an outdoor staircase. The area
around the stairs is asphalt. I want to anchor the bottom walls to the
asphalt. I do plan on liquid nails but I'd like to "pin" if with
something. I find fancy special anchors for asphalt but I don't think
something like a storage shed require anything that special. LN should
do most of the holding so maybe just Tapcons or just regular nails as
asphalt is generally pretty soft. Has anyone tried something like this
or have an opinion? Thanks.

Liquid nailz is wot Miss Recktum's asshole doctor used to close up her
well-penetrated asshole.
LOL

Not even Gorilla Glue could close up YERS, KKKoloon!

I thank you to kindly keep yer lips off my asshole in the future, Miss
Recktum.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/2016 8:16 AM, TimR wrote:
There is no way glue will work. You have to spike it.

But! I know you're going to ignore this but do so at your peril.

Whether you pull a permit or not you are required to call the utility location service first. If you don't, and you hit some line you didn't know was there, you're screwed even if you're not hurt. Of course if you hit a power line or gas line you may be more than screwed.

Whatever you put in will have your name on it for years. Do it right.

Didn't I just say that! I guess I'll say it again (copied and pasted
from my previous post):

"Well, true, but this is only a storage closet, essentially. No one
will be driving into the walls and hitting it. I figured just "gluing"
the footer to the asphalt should be good enough, however, it would be
good to pin it so it can't slide. So, I'll probably use a urethane
product as a glue and pin it with some long spike-like nails. I don't
think there is too much heaving due to weather in western NC, although
there might be some. "
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 08:28:54 -0400, Art Todesco
wrote:

On 4/13/2016 8:16 AM, TimR wrote:
[...]

I mentioned urethane caulk first. Pick a product that cures over
time, not sooner. It retains flex, doesn't get brittle, etc..
Pin it anyway you like
--
"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up."
-- Lily Tomlin
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 4/13/2016 8:16 AM, TimR wrote:
[...]

Yup and that was the plan after you suggested it. I don't think
anything here is really all that critical because it is only a storage
box under a long, outdoor staircase ... cardboard would do, if it was
weatherproof ... just kidding.

Titan Anchor rod, anchor bit Jack Home Ownership 0 February 1st 08 07:53 AM
self rock anchors, anchor rod, anchor bit Jack Home Ownership 0 February 1st 08 07:34 AM
anchor question Redlocks Home Repair 4 September 5th 07 03:15 AM
Where to Buy Anchor Seal Bernie Hunt Woodturning 12 July 23rd 05 08:03 PM
how to fix bad anchor holes RB Home Repair 2 May 5th 05 05:39 PM