Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using the same linoluem throughout the house

Using the same linoluem (Vinyl) throughout the house.

When I got this house, someone had put the same linoleum in the kitchen,
dining room, hallway, bathroom, and laundry room.

While the pattern and color was not too bad, I just dont care to to see
the same flooring in the bathroom that is in the kitchen, and so on....

I am in the process of redoing the floor by the toilet which needs some
new wood, so that gives me the excuse to change the flooring in there.
While I'm at it, I may also change the hallway just because it's a small
area and wont cost much. It will be different from the kitchen/dining
room and not the same as the bathroom.

The kitchen and dining room are sort of the same room, there is just a
small divider wall on one end, so those rooms should have the same
flooring. But in my opinion, different rooms should have different
flooring. Yea, this is just a matter of personal preference and opinion,
not any code or requirement.

My reason for posting this is just to see what other people do in their
homes. Are you the type who makes each room unique, or the type who just
covers every room with the same material? Which method is the most
common or popular these days?

If I had money to burn, I'd probably change the laundry room too, but
it's only a laundry room, so as long as the flooring is in good shape,
I'll leave it. Just changing the bathroom is a huge improvement, and I
think I'll change that hallway too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 16:29:51 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/4/2016 2:56 PM, wrote:
[...]

IMO, the same in every room is boring, cheap, and not at all
imaginative.

Yep, exactly how I feel about it!

My bathrooms have ceramic tile, kitchen is linoleum,
family room and sewing room are engineered hardwood. living room,
dining room, hallway are the same carpet, bedrooms are carpet.

I'd never put linoleum in any place but kitchen, bath, laundry. Tacky
in other rooms.

I prefer linoleum in all rooms except bedrooms, where I will have
carpetting. But thats because I live on a farm, and there is no way to
prevent dirt and mud from getting dragged into the house. Linoleum is
easy to clean, carpetting is a royal pain in the ass to clean, and I
hate house cleaning. Not to mention that I dont want to feel like my
house is a place I cant enter because my boots are muddy or covered with
snow, etc. If they are REAL bad, I will take off my boots by the door,
where I have a rubber backed rug, which I can easily hose off outdoors,
but the rest of the time, I want to walk into the house and not worry
about tracking a little dirt.

I think a lot of this goes back to when I was a kid, and had to take off
boots or shoes everytime I came in the house, or I'd get hollared at,
and the couch was coveed with plastic, and I still had to change my
pants if they were even slightly dirty, before I could sit on the couch,
(or get hollarerd at), and so on. The way I see it, houses are made to
be used, not be so sanitized that you cant live in them....

I'm considering putting ceramic tile in the bathroom, but I once rented
a house that had it, and found it slippery and even dangerous. I know an
elderly woman who almost died from slipping on a ceramic bathroom floor
and hitting her head on the tub.

I have to see if they make a no-slip ceramic that has a rough surface. I
have not shopped around for it yet. Otherwise lino or even vinyl tiles
will work. No matter what I use, it wont be costly because the bathroom
is small.

Just curious, are there any other options for bathroom floors?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2016 2:56 PM, wrote:
[...]

imaginative. My bathrooms have ceramic tile, kitchen is linoleum,
family room and sewing room are engineered hardwood. living room,
dining room, hallway are the same carpet, bedrooms are carpet.

I'd never put linoleum in any place but kitchen, bath, laundry. Tacky
in other rooms.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

We have a two by two inch ceramic, your could even go to a one by one,
more grout lines helps to reduce the slippery factor. There are some
tile products that do have a rougher surface,but from what I have seen
they tend to be larger tiles, which will either look silly in a small
bathroom, or be a royal pain to install.

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2016 5:17 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

We have a two by two inch ceramic, your could even go to a one by one,
more grout lines helps to reduce the slippery factor. There are some
tile products that do have a rougher surface,but from what I have seen
they tend to be larger tiles, which will either look silly in a small
bathroom, or be a royal pain to install.

We have 12 x 12. We also used epoxy grout that never has to be sealed
and stays clean with just a wet mop.
Posted to alt.home.repair

having all flooring match are often used by home flippers, it makes the space look larger