Posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Default Battery for Moisture Detector

I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Forgot to say - this is a soil moisture detector for potted plants.

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message news I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 12:08:16 -0700, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

Forgot to say - this is a soil moisture detector for potted plants.

I'm guessing that if it leaks it is more toxic for plants than zinc-carbon
or lithium batteries.

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm
Posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 04/04/2016 02:08 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
Forgot to say - this is a soil moisture detector for potted plants.

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message news I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

The only thing I can think of is that an alkaline battery has a much
lower internal resistance and that might cause a problem for the
electronics.

Just a guess.
Posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2016 3:00 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

I know that different battery materials can have slightly different
voltage but nominally alkaline and carbon-zinc are the same.

Posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 15:29:56 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 4/4/2016 3:00 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

I know that different battery materials can have slightly different
voltage but nominally alkaline and carbon-zinc are the same.

They're a different size, however. iirc carbon-zinc are shorter.

Posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2016 6:50 PM, Micky wrote:
On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 15:29:56 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 4/4/2016 3:00 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

I know that different battery materials can have slightly different
voltage but nominally alkaline and carbon-zinc are the same.

They're a different size, however. iirc carbon-zinc are shorter.

I wonder if the writer of the instruction was
having a bad day. Might been meant to write
to use only alkaline battery?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Apr 2016 18:50:51 -0400, Micky
wrote:

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 15:29:56 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 4/4/2016 3:00 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

I know that different battery materials can have slightly different
voltage but nominally alkaline and carbon-zinc are the same.

They're a different size, however. iirc carbon-zinc are shorter.

You sure about that??
Lithium and other rechargeables tend to be shorter, but zinc chloride
and alkalines are generally the same.
Posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2016 8:14 PM, wrote:

You sure about that??
Lithium and other rechargeables tend to be shorter, but zinc chloride
and alkalines are generally the same.

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/A95.pdf

I did find a chart (half way down on the right)
comparing alkalines to carbon zinc. If you find
comparison between zinc chloride versus alkaline,
I'd sure like to see it.

In my own tests, alkalines of various brands outlast
carbon zinc four to one. I mixed and matched a bunch
of cells in various applications. Came out 4:1 fairly
consistently.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 20:56:18 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 4/4/2016 8:14 PM, wrote:

You sure about that??
Lithium and other rechargeables tend to be shorter, but zinc chloride
and alkalines are generally the same.

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/A95.pdf

I did find a chart (half way down on the right)
comparing alkalines to carbon zinc. If you find
comparison between zinc chloride versus alkaline,
I'd sure like to see it.

In my own tests, alkalines of various brands outlast
carbon zinc four to one. I mixed and matched a bunch
of cells in various applications. Came out 4:1 fairly
consistently.

And what does that have to do with the SIZE of a 9 volt battery???

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank "frank wrote:
On 4/4/2016 3:00 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to
use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before.
Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

I know that different battery materials can have slightly different
voltage but nominally alkaline and carbon-zinc are the same.

Carbon voltage will be higher, but it makes little sense.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 12:00:13 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
wrote:

I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

Voltage/current curve not compatible?
Buy "heavy duty" zinc chloride batteries - they are a lot cheaper
anyway.
Posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 04/04/2016 02:00 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

Maybe it's because alkaline batteries leak and destroy?

Posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Donald T. Rump wrote:
On 04/04/2016 02:00 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says
not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning
before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended? Thanks.

Maybe it's because alkaline batteries leak and destroy?

And carbon/zinc don't??

Posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message news
I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

Thanks for the comments. I have tried to reach the mfr but no response so far. Will post whatever I find out.

Posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message news I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

===

About the comments about differences in current between battery types. My understanding is that 9V is 9V and the current is determined by the resistance in the circuit.

Posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 10:26:07 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
wrote:

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message news I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?

Thanks.

===

About the comments about differences in current between battery types. My understanding is that 9V is 9V and the current is determined by the resistance in the circuit.

Well, apparently Snuffy will not see my reply unless someone re-posts
it - but so be it. The current drawn is dependent on the resistance of
the circuit. This is true, but there is resistance in 2 very different
and separate parts of the circuit - the source and the load. The
"internal resistance" of the battery limits how much current the
battery can supply - irrespective of the "current draw" dictated by
the load resistance. If the internal resiatance of the battery is too
high, the voltage across the load will drop to well below 9 volts in
use. The power dissipated across the internal resistance of the
battery as heat will compromise the life of the battery, reducing the
total net power available from the battery to a fraction of what would
be available into a higher resistance, or lower "powered" load.
Posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for reposting. I missed it the first time. Would an alkaline battery be more susceptible to developing a high internal resistance than the el cheapo type?

Posted to alt.home.repair

+1