Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stud Sensors: Accuracy ?

I've got Home Depot's fanciest-schamanciest stud finder: "Zircon HD 70".

This one claims to find the center of the stud and has a precise-looking
display.

But I am getting significantly-different "center' locations each time I
locate the same stud... especially when coming in from the left vs right
and vice-versa.

My workaround is to take a bunch of measurements, take the center of the
resulting cluster as the center of the stud, and then drill little pilot
holes starting 7/8" to the left/right and working inwards until I hit
wood.

The Question: Is this about all I can expect from this thing, or might
I be missing something?
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 03/15/2016 12:57 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I've got Home Depot's fanciest-schamanciest stud finder: "Zircon HD 70".

This one claims to find the center of the stud and has a precise-looking
display.

But I am getting significantly-different "center' locations each time I
locate the same stud... especially when coming in from the left vs right
and vice-versa.

The Question: Is this about all I can expect from this thing, or might
I be missing something?

Yep...they're approximations at best...Fine Homebuilding had a
comprehensive review some time ago where they did testing against a
known set of prefab wall surfaces over small wall sections. None were
perfect by any stretch; their ability decreases rapidly with anything
else on the wall surface than the minimal plain sheetrock and are also
easily confused when there are other materials in the cavity such as
blocking, plumbing and/or HVAC lines, etc., etc, etc., ...

I forget which came out where in the ratings; a search online at the
Fine Homebuilding site will probably uncover the review which testing
and results will probably help you understand limitations when you see
the testing done and results...plus I know it had at least a couple of
the Zircon models in the test and seems like several others were the
same innards (or they were the same innards as somebody elses's, I
forget which).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 13:57:09 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

The Question: Is this about all I can expect from this thing, or might
I be missing something?

I often just use a 4d finish nail and find each side of the stud:

| * * * * *| and then the center.

Couple of other ways:

_How To Find a Stud Without a Stud Finder_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XALXlx5cc1s

_Android App -- Magnetic Stud Finder_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZmd5vkag7o

iPhone also has some free magnetic Apps to find screws.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've got Home Depot's fanciest-schamanciest stud finder: "Zircon HD 70".
This one claims to find the center of the stud and has a precise-looking
display.
But I am getting significantly-different "center' locations each time I
locate the same stud... especially when coming in from the left vs right
and vice-versa.
My workaround is to take a bunch of measurements, take the center of the
resulting cluster as the center of the stud, and then drill little pilot
holes starting 7/8" to the left/right and working inwards until I hit
wood.
The Question: Is this about all I can expect from this thing, or might
I be missing something?

This one doesn't require any movement ; and can also locate things
besides studs - if they are not too deep into the wall cavity

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...28&cat=1,43513

John T

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per dpb:
Yep...they're approximations at best...

Kinda what I figured.... no disappointment there...

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something dumb.
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/15/16 1:57 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I've got Home Depot's fanciest-schamanciest stud finder: "Zircon HD 70".

This one claims to find the center of the stud and has a precise-looking
display.

But I am getting significantly-different "center' locations each time I
locate the same stud... especially when coming in from the left vs right
and vice-versa.

My workaround is to take a bunch of measurements, take the center of the
resulting cluster as the center of the stud, and then drill little pilot
holes starting 7/8" to the left/right and working inwards until I hit
wood.

The Question: Is this about all I can expect from this thing, or might
I be missing something?

Instead of doing that chicken dance, just tap the wall with your
knuckle, locate the right and left stud edges, approximate the center,
and nail away.

Return the stud locator to HD and take the missus out for a nice dinner
with the money;-)

--
Once you accept that he isn’t on our side, everything he does makes
perfect sense.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per :
This one doesn't require any movement ; and can also locate things
besides studs - if they are not too deep into the wall cavity

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...28&cat=1,43513

That one rings a lot truer to me than the thing I have.

Wish I had done my homework before spending the bucks.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

I've got Home Depot's fanciest-schamanciest stud finder: "Zircon HD
70".

You got the male version, only the
Female version can accurately find Studs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I thought that looked interesting, and I had never seen one like that
before.

But, one thing that I noticed in the photo of the device in action is that
it detected the pipe on the right that is behind the wall. We can see that
it is a pipe because the wall is open. But, in real life, without being
able to see what is behind the wall, would the readings look like there were
two studs behind the wall? And, couldn't that lead to someone thinking the
place on the right was a good place to nail or screw into the wall because
it looked like it was a stud location and not a pipe location?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've got Home Depot's fanciest-schamanciest stud finder: "Zircon HD 70".

This one claims to find the center of the stud and has a precise-looking
display.

The one my brother bought me 25 years ago -- no display, just 6 leds
in a vertical line -- works great.

Maybe there are some places where it could get confused but the vast
majority of the time the distance from the left to the right side was
accurate to less than an 8th of an inch. 1/16 on each side.

This looks very much like it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZIRCON-STUDS...AOSwrklVNWQ o

I did a lot of stuff and it was great to have.

But I am getting significantly-different "center' locations each time I
locate the same stud... especially when coming in from the left vs right
and vice-versa.

My workaround is to take a bunch of measurements, take the center of the
resulting cluster as the center of the stud, and then drill little pilot
holes starting 7/8" to the left/right and working inwards until I hit
wood.

The Question: Is this about all I can expect from this thing, or might
I be missing something?

I didn't have these problems. I can go from either direction and I
can continue from the start of the stud to the end of the stud and get
the same as from the other direction afaicr. And I think it was a
Zircon. If you want me to look for it, I will.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If you look at the LEDs, there are 3 lit for a full width stud and only
2 for the pipe. I would think (but can't be sure without actually using
the device) that you could use some basic facts, such as the location of
known studs (a doorway for example), 16" measurements, etc. to
differentiate between studs, pipes and other things inside the wall.

e.g. If I see 3 lights every 16" and then 2 (or even 3) lights 4 inches
away from one of 16" OC locations, I would probably be safe in assuming
that those lights are not showing me a stud.

In other words, I would use other "tools" - even my brain ;-) -
in combination with the stud sensor to help locate the studs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 12:07:23 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03 wrote:

In other words, I would use other "tools" - even my brain ;-) -
in combination with the stud sensor to help locate the studs.

Just drive in a nail and see if you get sparks or spray.

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

Most women are Stud Sensors......

Use your wife! (unless you are NOT qualified as a stud)

---
Notice to all political candidates:
If your election lasts longer than 4 hours, seek help!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...

Most women are Stud Sensors......

Use your wife! (unless you are NOT qualified as a stud)

---
Notice to all political candidates:
If your election lasts longer than 4 hours, seek help!

***Now I have to say a first comment in this group that makes sense.***

Remote temperature sensors - multiple sensors? David.WE.Roberts UK diy 32 March 19th 13 08:17 AM
Stud Sensors that Really Work jamesrdens@ya_oo.com Home Repair 4 August 13th 07 11:46 AM
Stud sensors - Just picked up Ziron TriScanner OneStep. Is this a keeper? Dan_Musicant Home Repair 9 May 1st 05 12:36 AM
accuracy? George Watson Metalworking 1 May 2nd 04 04:14 PM
Lathe accuracy Ken Strauss Metalworking 12 December 18th 03 07:32 PM