Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wood chisel tip protector

I looked for some plastic protectors to use on my wood chisels but could find none.

Any ideas on how I can fabricate some ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:
I looked for some plastic protectors to use on my wood chisels but
could find none.

Any ideas on how I can fabricate some ?

Get some of that stuff they dip tool handles in to form a coating . Oil the
chisel well before you dip it .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2016 12:20 PM, Andy wrote:
I looked for some plastic protectors to use on my wood chisels but could find none.

Any ideas on how I can fabricate some ?

How often do you plan to cover/uncover them?

You can use plastidip if you dont mind "remaking" the covers periodically
(depends on how often you plan on peeling it off/slipping it on)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasti-Dip-14-5-oz-Black-Rubber-Coating-11603-6/202196703

I've always kept my wood chisels in a sort of carrying case (each
having its own little "slot". Depending on quantity and sizes,
you can repurpose something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Flyshine-Canvas-Artist-Protection-42x36cm/dp/B00VYDGXVC/
(imagine the chisel points *in*, not *out*)

or even fabricate a custom one out of some heavy canvas or vinyl
(vinyl is a win if you keep your tools oiled while stored)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 11:20:37 -0800 (PST), Andy wrote:

I looked for some plastic protectors to use on my wood chisels but could find none.

Any ideas on how I can fabricate some ?

http://s692.photobucket.com/user/dob...?sort=2&page=1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2016 1:45 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 11:20:37 -0800 (PST), Andy wrote:

I looked for some plastic protectors to use on my wood chisels but could find none.

Any ideas on how I can fabricate some ?

http://s692.photobucket.com/user/dob...?sort=2&page=1

Did you make that? It's beautiful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 14:41:25 -0600, SeaNymph wrote:

On 3/8/2016 1:45 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 11:20:37 -0800 (PST), Andy wrote:

I looked for some plastic protectors to use on my wood chisels but could find none.

Any ideas on how I can fabricate some ?

http://s692.photobucket.com/user/dob...?sort=2&page=1

Did you make that? It's beautiful.

Thank you. Yes, I did.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 5:13:52 PM UTC-6, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 14:41:25 -0600, SeaNymph wrote:

On 3/8/2016 1:45 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 11:20:37 -0800 (PST), Andy wrote:

I looked for some plastic protectors to use on my wood chisels but could find none.

Any ideas on how I can fabricate some ?

http://s692.photobucket.com/user/dob...?sort=2&page=1

Did you make that? It's beautiful.

Thank you. Yes, I did.

First class job. :-)

Looks like a piece of fine furniture.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2016 5:13 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 14:41:25 -0600, SeaNymph wrote:

On 3/8/2016 1:45 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 11:20:37 -0800 (PST), Andy wrote:

I looked for some plastic protectors to use on my wood chisels but could find none.

Any ideas on how I can fabricate some ?

http://s692.photobucket.com/user/dob...?sort=2&page=1

Did you make that? It's beautiful.

Thank you. Yes, I did.

You're welcome.

My husband does wood working for a hobby and I love natural wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2016 6:20 PM, SeaNymph wrote:

My husband does wood working for a hobby and I love natural wood.

My wife likes me to get natural wood too!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 Mar 2016 17:13:10 -0600, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

http://s692.photobucket.com/user/dob...?sort=2&page=1

Did you make that? It's beautiful.

Thank you. Yes, I did.

You must be one of those old time carpenters I was talking about. That
is exactly the sort of thing I was talking about. Those old boys
respected their tools.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Images of storage methods: https://tinyurl.com/hdz2kqd

Sample of a canvas portable bag https://tinyurl.com/h8mcgdl
--
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.-- James Madison
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I looked for some plastic protectors to use on my wood chisels but could find none.

Any ideas on how I can fabricate some ?

Images of storage methods: https://tinyurl.com/hdz2kqd

Sample of a canvas portable bag https://tinyurl.com/h8mcgdl
--
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.-- James Madison

Thanks.

I will make a bag for them out of scrap material.

Cheaper than the $10 for the chisel guards.
And they won't roll around either.

:-)

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 2:20:47 PM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
I looked for some plastic protectors to use on my wood chisels but could find none.

Any ideas on how I can fabricate some ?

It took Google .22 secs to find these:

hhttp://www.woodcraft.com/product/161193/woodriver-silicone-chisel-guards-10pcs.aspx
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 2:18:21 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 2:20:47 PM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
I looked for some plastic protectors to use on my wood chisels but could find none.

Any ideas on how I can fabricate some ?

It took Google .22 secs to find these:

hhttp://www.woodcraft.com/product/161193/woodriver-silicone-chisel-guards-10pcs.aspx

Good find. I was looking for chisel protectors instead of guards.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 3:28:00 PM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 2:18:21 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 2:20:47 PM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
I looked for some plastic protectors to use on my wood chisels but could find none.

Any ideas on how I can fabricate some ?

It took Google .22 secs to find these:

hhttp://www.woodcraft.com/product/161193/woodriver-silicone-chisel-guards-10pcs.aspx

Good find. I was looking for chisel protectors instead of guards.

Andy

Can you sew?

http://pielleather.com/shop/index.ph...tems/2715.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 2:18:21 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 2:20:47 PM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
I looked for some plastic protectors to use on my wood chisels but could find none.

Any ideas on how I can fabricate some ?

It took Google .22 secs to find these:

hhttp://www.woodcraft.com/product/161193/woodriver-silicone-chisel-guards-10pcs.aspx

You beat me to it. I save the covers that come with my chisels. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Chisel Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I looked for some plastic protectors to use on my wood chisels but could find none.

Any ideas on how I can fabricate some ?

I always save the ones that come on a new chisel but old time
carpenters have a chisel box with dividers that they store these tools
in
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 2:20:47 PM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
I looked for some plastic protectors to use on my wood chisels but could find none.

Any ideas on how I can fabricate some ?

These too:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...22&cat=1,41504
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 12:28:13 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 2:20:47 PM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
I looked for some plastic protectors to use on my wood chisels but could find none.

Any ideas on how I can fabricate some ?

These too:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...22&cat=1,41504

.... no longer available

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 2:20:47 PM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
I looked for some plastic protectors to use on my wood chisels but could find none.

Any ideas on how I can fabricate some ?

These too:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...22&cat=1,41504

... no longer available

Amazon has wood chisel tip guards. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/Trend-FTS-CEG-.../dp/B004RZ0CGQ

http://www.amazon.com/Robert-Larson-.../dp/B00PWNWXWI

http://www.rlarson.com/shop/woodwork...l-edge-guards/

[8~{} Uncle Tip Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 2:28:29 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 2:20:47 PM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
I looked for some plastic protectors to use on my wood chisels but could find none.

Any ideas on how I can fabricate some ?

These too:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...22&cat=1,41504

I like those better than the soft silicone covers. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Silicone Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy writes:
I looked for some plastic protectors to use on my wood chisels but could find none.

Any ideas on how I can fabricate some ?

Duct tape.

I've a number of Marples crank-neck chisels and gouges
from the first half of the 20th century that have protectors
made from masking tape. They're still perfectly viable.

Note that the adhesive side of the tape is not exposed to
the chisels.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 2:35:21 PM UTC-6, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Andy writes:
I looked for some plastic protectors to use on my wood chisels but could find none.

Any ideas on how I can fabricate some ?

Duct tape.

I've a number of Marples crank-neck chisels and gouges
from the first half of the 20th century that have protectors
made from masking tape. They're still perfectly viable.

Note that the adhesive side of the tape is not exposed to
the chisels.

Then how do they stick ?

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy writes:
I looked for some plastic protectors to use on my wood chisels but could find none.

Any ideas on how I can fabricate some ?

Duct tape.

I've a number of Marples crank-neck chisels and gouges
from the first half of the 20th century that have protectors
made from masking tape. They're still perfectly viable.

Note that the adhesive side of the tape is not exposed to
the chisels.

Then how do they stick ?

If mythbusters can make a wallet out of Duct tape, it should
follow that one can use similar techniques to fabricate a
tip guard without exposed adhesive.

In the case of my Marples chisels, the tape is folded over,
adhesive to adhesive in such a way as to form a custom fitted
pocket for the edge and covers about one inch of chisel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy writes:
I looked for some plastic protectors to use on my wood chisels but could find none.

Any ideas on how I can fabricate some ?

Duct tape.

I've a number of Marples crank-neck chisels and gouges
from the first half of the 20th century that have protectors
made from masking tape. They're still perfectly viable.

Note that the adhesive side of the tape is not exposed to
the chisels.

Then how do they stick ?

If mythbusters can make a wallet out of Duct tape, it should
follow that one can use similar techniques to fabricate a
tip guard without exposed adhesive.

Check out the Duct Tape episode in this, their final season.

They made a Trebuchet using only wood and Duct Tape. Of course,
they then destroyed something with it by flinging a burning
projectile at a - well, I won't spoil the fun.

In the case of my Marples chisels, the tape is folded over,
adhesive to adhesive in such a way as to form a custom fitted
pocket for the edge and covers about one inch of chisel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I looked for some plastic protectors to use on my wood chisels but could find none.

Any ideas on how I can fabricate some ?

I'd go with cloth or cardboard. Cut/fold. Rubber band to secure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I looked for some plastic protectors to use on my wood chisels but could find none.

Any ideas on how I can fabricate some ?

Tennis Balls.

Same way elderly persons use them on canes and walkers.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default TROLL ALERT

Do not feed the troll
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/9/2016 6:58 AM, Troll alert wrote:
Do not feed the troll

but, I'm HUNGRY!

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/03/2016 13:23, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/9/2016 6:58 AM, Troll alert wrote:
Do not feed the troll

but, I'm HUNGRY!

I've left some food for you under your bridge ;-)

--
Bod

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/9/2016 7:26 AM, Bod wrote:
On 09/03/2016 13:23, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/9/2016 6:58 AM, Troll alert wrote:
Do not feed the troll

but, I'm HUNGRY!

I've left some food for you under your bridge ;-)

Was it those raisin bagels? I saw you buying some at the Whole Foods,
recently.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/03/2016 17:27, Muggles wrote:
On 3/9/2016 7:26 AM, Bod wrote:
On 09/03/2016 13:23, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/9/2016 6:58 AM, Troll alert wrote:
Do not feed the troll

but, I'm HUNGRY!

I've left some food for you under your bridge ;-)

Was it those raisin bagels? I saw you buying some at the Whole Foods,
recently.

Funnily enough.....no ;-)

--
Bod

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 7:23:16 AM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/9/2016 6:58 AM, Troll alert wrote:
Do not feed the troll

but, I'm HUNGRY!
--
.

How do you like your troll cooked and seasoned? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Hungry Monster