Posted to alt.home.repair

Default alt.home.repair newsgroup statistics for 01/2016

On Wed, 03 Feb 2016 09:45:51 -0000, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 2:50:43 PM UTC-6, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 02 Feb 2016 20:28:12 -0000, Muggles wrote:

On 2/2/2016 2:07 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 02 Feb 2016 19:10:50 -0000, Muggles wrote:

On 2/2/2016 1:00 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 02 Feb 2016 18:55:00 -0000, Muggles wrote:

On 2/2/2016 12:36 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 02 Feb 2016 18:27:25 -0000, Muggles
wrote:

On 2/2/2016 12:15 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 02 Feb 2016 18:08:48 -0000, Muggles
wrote:

On 2/2/2016 12:04 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 02 Feb 2016 18:01:04 -0000, Muggles
wrote:

On 2/2/2016 5:23 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 02 Feb 2016 02:02:19 -0000, Oren wrote:

On Tue, 02 Feb 2016 01:45:34 -0000, "Mr Macaw"
wrote:

Do yanks really call them faucets? That sounds really posh
to me.
In the UK we call them taps. Faucet sounds like a word from
2 or
300
years ago.

Nobody cares about what you limeys think. We speak American.

You speak *******ised English.

What kind of English do the British speak, or Australians
speak, or
Canadians speak?

The English speak English. The rest of you speak altered
versions of
it. The clue is in the name.

But English is derived from other
dialects,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_English, so
English
isn't purely owned by the British despite the British often are
also
referred to as English.

Even the English/British people can't lay claim to being the
source of
of the English language.

It wasn't called English before we altered it. You can say you
speak
American, but it's incorrect to say you speak English.

I respectfully disagree. English is simply a conglomeration of
various
languages that evolved into a multitude of dialects. Those languages
that make up English include German, Scandinavian, French, Dutch,
Latin,
Greek, Irish, and have morphed into various dialects all over the
world.

British English is no more pure "English" or owned by the British
than
American English, or any other dialect of English that is used all
over
the world.

The British English people,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_English, even have their own
sub-groups of dialects within their own English speaking groups of
people. Even the US has a variety of dialects of English based on
what
part of the country people live.

But we're in England, so we get to call it English.

I understand what you mean. It's like calling American citizens
Americans.

We don't call it Germoscandofrancolatin, so you shouldn't call yours
English.

Americans speak English, too, so why not call it English?

There are countless words that are different. American, Australian, etc
should be classed as different languages, just similar. Like Italian
and Spanish - they use the same words but one ends everything in A and
the other in O :-)

It's evolved differently and should be named after the country it's
in -
American.

English evolved into multiple dialects from it's conception. Why is
the
evolution of the language in America any different from the same
evolution of the language in England?

It isn't. But you saying you speak English is as daft as me saying I
speak American.

What exactly is speaking American? It's a version/dialect of English.
Wouldn't you agree?

No more than English is a version/dialect of American. As you said,
they evolved at the same time.

So, you agree that British English is a dialect of English, as is,
American English is also a dialect of English?

No, American is a dialect of the same thing as English. There is no such thing as American English any more than there is such a thing as English American.
--

Yea, that's almost as silly as "African American". o_O

Trouble with that is I can never remember if that's an African in America or an American in Africa. It's like "I mistook a tree for a dog" - is it actually a tree or a dog?

--
I lost the trivia contest at the church social last night by one point.
The last question was: "Where do most women have curly hair?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 7, 2016 at 1:32:57 PM UTC-6, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Wed, 03 Feb 2016 09:45:51 -0000, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 2:50:43 PM UTC-6, Mr Macaw wrote:

TRIM, MOUNDS OF MALE BOVINE DROPPINGS

No, American is a dialect of the same thing as English. There is no such thing as American English any more than there is such a thing as English American.
--

Yea, that's almost as silly as "African American". o_O

Trouble with that is I can never remember if that's an African in America or an American in Africa. It's like "I mistook a tree for a dog" - is it actually a tree or a dog?
--

In the country of Liberia, the elite refer to themselves as American African. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Earth Monster