Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is there any danger to charging a "Reversed Charged" battery?

A while back I posted about my tractor with generator having the battery
charged backwards. The plan was to replace the generator with an
alternator, and buy a new battery. However the weather got bad and
making brackets and all of that sort of thing is not work to be doing in
cold and nasty winter weather.

Therefore, I'm hoping to just get the tractor usable for now, and do
this replacement when Spring comes.

Apparently this battery was already reverse charged when I bought this
tractor in Sept., at which time I ran it for several hours, and it ran
fine. It was not until I tried to charge the battery that I had all
those sparks and noticed the reversed charge.

Anyhow, the plan is to just charge the battery and use the tractor AS-IS
until spring. It wont be used that often anyhow, but it's presently in a
bad place and needs to be moved, as well as using it to move some snow
as needed.

All it needs is to charge the battery. I'm just a little uncomfortable
connecting the charger (backwards of course). Is there any chance of the
battery exploding?

The only reason that the battery is run down, is because I tried to
start the tractor when the distributor was wet, and it would not fire at
the time, and also because I was working on the wiring to the lights and
had them turned on for awhile.

There is still a good amount of charge in the battery, but not enough to
spin the starter fast enough. If charging this battery ruins it, I
really dont care because I intend to replace it anyhow, once I replace
that generator.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 6:53:03 PM UTC-6, wrote:

All it needs is to charge the battery. I'm just a little uncomfortable
connecting the charger (backwards of course). Is there any chance of the
battery exploding?

Since it had been working that way, I would go ahead and charge it backwards. Look how dangerous it was the other way?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/2016 7:48 PM, wrote:
[...]

My off hand guess is that the reverse charge
battery won't work very well. Not what it was
designed to do.

Batteries explode when the water decomposes to
hydrogen and oxygen, and then is later ignited
by a spark.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Jan 2016 18:48:54 -0600, wrote:

[...]

Hook up the charger to the battery pos to pos and neg to neg - Go by
what IS pos and what IS neg, not what is marked. It won't cause any
more damage than what has already been done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

wrote:

[...]

You have told him what to do what 5/6 times?

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 15:16:24 -0500, Tekkie® wrote:

posted for all of us...

[...]

I lost count. I'd say at least double that.