Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dremel multi max tool: speed control out of whack

Hi,
I've had a Dremel multi max tool for a few years, purchased from HomeDepot for $100. It's the kind with the vibrating head that cuts wood/metal/grout etc depending on the attachment you put on. The vibration speed is controlled by a wheel that you can select from 0 to 10 (slow-to-fast). But lately the wheel doesn't seem to work right and it speeds up and down of its own accord.

Has anyone experienced the same with theirs?
Does anyone know of a reasonable fix, or is it considered a cheap tool and time to buy a new one?

Experienced opinions and advice greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Theodore

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 27, 2015 at 10:25:37 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi,
I've had a Dremel multi max tool for a few years, purchased from HomeDepot for $100. It's the kind with the vibrating head that cuts wood/metal/grout etc depending on the attachment you put on. The vibration speed is controlled by a wheel that you can select from 0 to 10 (slow-to-fast). But lately the wheel doesn't seem to work right and it speeds up and down of its own accord.

Has anyone experienced the same with theirs?
Does anyone know of a reasonable fix, or is it considered a cheap tool and time to buy a new one?

Experienced opinions and advice greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Theodore

Can the case be opened? If so, I'd try blowing out the area around the speed control. Maybe you could even blow it out without opening it.

Could be dust build-up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Dec 2015 19:58:22 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

+ 1 ...good first step

OP? Can you hold the wheel to stop the speed changes? If it is just
the wheel, I'd try a small plastic wedge next to the wheel to hold it
in place.

A local tool repair shop can replace the speed wheel switch if bad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

A few years ago I bought a HF variable speed multi-function tool. The
speed control worked great from 0 (stopped) to 5 (almost full speed). The
problem was that 6 = 0, i.e. stopped.

I took it back and exchanged it.