DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What happens if you use a non-dimmable LED on a dimmer? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/388290-what-happens-if-you-use-non-dimmable-led-dimmer.html)

[email protected] December 21st 15 09:55 PM

What happens if you use a non-dimmable LED on a dimmer?

What happens if you use a non-dimmable LED on a dimmer?

Obviously you should not do this, but if someone did it, what would
happen? Would the LED simply not light unless the dimmer was on FULL
brightness, or would the LED (or maybe the dimmer) be damaged?

Just curious!

And while we're on this topic, I know that photocells often begin to
turn on a light at less than full brightness, based on the amount of
natural light at dusk. So, I'm assuming those fixtures require a
dimmable LED. correct?

[email protected] December 22nd 15 04:11 AM

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 15:55:33 -0600, wrote:

What happens if you use a non-dimmable LED on a dimmer?

Obviously you should not do this, but if someone did it, what would
happen? Would the LED simply not light unless the dimmer was on FULL
brightness, or would the LED (or maybe the dimmer) be damaged?

Just curious!

And while we're on this topic, I know that photocells often begin to
turn on a light at less than full brightness, based on the amount of
natural light at dusk. So, I'm assuming those fixtures require a
dimmable LED. correct?

They will flash on and off when the dimmer is set too low to run the
lamp at full output.

[email protected] December 22nd 15 04:24 AM

wrote:

What happens if you use a non-dimmable LED on a dimmer?

Obviously you should not do this, but if someone did it, what would
happen? Would the LED simply not light unless the dimmer was on FULL
brightness, or would the LED (or maybe the dimmer) be damaged?

Just curious!

And while we're on this topic, I know that photocells often begin to
turn on a light at less than full brightness, based on the amount of
natural light at dusk. So, I'm assuming those fixtures require a
dimmable LED. correct?

They will flash on and off when the dimmer is set too low to run the
lamp at full output.

That explains why my LED worklight keeps going on and off when the
battery is nearly discharged. Besides being dim, it actually will shut
off, then come back on in a few seconds or more, and repeats again.

Thanks