Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Upside Down" Receptacle Installation

I've got a really old combination electrical receptacle that's failing
and needs to be replaced. It's configured with the outlet above the
switch. However, all the current models I've found have the switch on
top. Unfortunately,for my application, I need the outlet on top.

The question is-- can I mount it upside down without violating any
electrical codes?

--
In my old age, I'm suffering from memory loss....I'm also suffering from
memory loss.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 11:39:49 -0500, Wade Garrett
wrote:

I've got a really old combination electrical receptacle that's failing
and needs to be replaced. It's configured with the outlet above the
switch. However, all the current models I've found have the switch on
top. Unfortunately,for my application, I need the outlet on top.

The question is-- can I mount it upside down without violating any
electrical codes?

How do you know which is the top to begin with? The code is silent on
the issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've got a really old combination electrical receptacle that's failing
and needs to be replaced. It's configured with the outlet above the
switch. However, all the current models I've found have the switch on
top. Unfortunately,for my application, I need the outlet on top.

The question is-- can I mount it upside down without violating any
electrical codes?

How do you know which is the top to begin with? The code is silent on
the issue.

I'll take a guess he

He is looking at grounded combination receptacles and visualizing the "old
school" ground hole on the bottom installation method.

If he adopts the ground hole on top method, he will not only end up with
the receptacle on top, but he will have moved into modern times. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

| The question is-- can I mount it upside down without violating any
| electrical codes?

It's not illegal where I live, but I wonder if you
might want to reconsider. There's a reason that
the switch is usually on top: With the receptacle
on top you're likely to have a wire in the way of
the switch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 12:53:41 PM UTC-6, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Although I suspect the code would frown on the switch being positioned
such that you flip it down to turn it on (unless you're in europe :-).

When you have an outlet and a switch...doesn't the switch go from side to side (not up/down)?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wade Garrett wrote:

I've got a really old combination electrical receptacle that's
failing and needs to be replaced. It's configured with the outlet
above the switch. However, all the current models I've found have the
switch on top. Unfortunately,for my application, I need the outlet on
top.

The question is-- can I mount it upside down without violating any
electrical codes?

You can phone your local inspector and ask him/her/shim
to come look and tell you what you MUST do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 3:19:14 PM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:
On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 12:53:41 PM UTC-6, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Although I suspect the code would frown on the switch being positioned
such that you flip it down to turn it on (unless you're in europe :-).

When you have an outlet and a switch...doesn't the switch go from side to side (not up/down)?

I'm guessing that would depend on which way you mount the device,
vertically or horizontally.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/2015 11:39 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
I've got a really old combination electrical receptacle that's failing
and needs to be replaced. It's configured with the outlet above the
switch. However, all the current models I've found have the switch on
top. Unfortunately,for my application, I need the outlet on top.

The question is-- can I mount it upside down without violating any
electrical codes?

I assume you mean a combo switch/outlet such as this
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...50214433456286

If so, there isn't any code specifying orientation. Do what makes it
work best for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 2:50:46 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 3:19:14 PM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:
On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 12:53:41 PM UTC-6, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Although I suspect the code would frown on the switch being positioned
such that you flip it down to turn it on (unless you're in europe :-).

When you have an outlet and a switch...doesn't the switch go from side to side (not up/down)?

I'm guessing that would depend on which way you mount the device,
vertically or horizontally.

....sounds like he's talking "box the long way/vertical"...then the switch would turn-off on a horizontal plane.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/2015 12:20 PM, Mayayana wrote:
| The question is-- can I mount it upside down without violating any
| electrical codes?

It's not illegal where I live, but I wonder if you
might want to reconsider. There's a reason that
the switch is usually on top: With the receptacle
on top you're likely to have a wire in the way of
the switch.

I used to have one of those (combination switch/receptacle) with the
switch on the bottom. This device was mounted below a low window and
normally used with a cord going out the window for holiday lights.

I removed this when I installed GFCIs for the lights.

--
11 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/2015 9:39 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
I've got a really old combination electrical receptacle that's failing and
needs to be replaced. It's configured with the outlet above the switch.
However, all the current models I've found have the switch on top.
Unfortunately,for my application, I need the outlet on top.

The question is-- can I mount it upside down without violating any electrical
codes?

You can ("legally") mount it sideways, upside down -- probably inside-out if
you could figure out how to insulate the contacts! :)

Note that all of our (vertically oriented) *outlets* here are arranged
with the earth ground at top (like an upside down smiley face -- instead
of the smiley face that most folks seem to prefer). Inspectors have
noticed this but never complained.

[If you're observant, you'll notice this is the orientation in most
hospitals, etc.]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've got a really old combination electrical receptacle that's failing
and needs to be replaced. It's configured with the outlet above the
switch. However, all the current models I've found have the switch on
top. Unfortunately,for my application, I need the outlet on top.

The question is-- can I mount it upside down without violating any
electrical codes?

It wont matter how it's mounted as long as it's wired properly and no
connections are exposed. The code dont specify anything in regard to
mounting positions.

I once lived in a rental house that had 2 switches that were upside
down. (not 3 way). That was not a code violation, but it irritated me,
so I reversed them. Except for 3 way switches, they should always go UP
to turn a light ON. That's just the way it is, and what we're accustomed
to. However, electrically, they work the same way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 16:52:21 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 12/14/2015 12:20 PM, Mayayana wrote:
| The question is-- can I mount it upside down without violating any
| electrical codes?

It's not illegal where I live, but I wonder if you
might want to reconsider. There's a reason that
the switch is usually on top: With the receptacle
on top you're likely to have a wire in the way of
the switch.

I used to have one of those (combination switch/receptacle) with the
switch on the bottom. This device was mounted below a low window and
normally used with a cord going out the window for holiday lights.

I removed this when I installed GFCIs for the lights.

You can use one of these and mount it with the switch on the bottom.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/Produ...minisite=10251
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default switch orientation, was: "Upside Down" Receptacle Installation

I once lived in a rental house that had 2 switches that were upside
down. (not 3 way). That was not a code violation, but it irritated me,
so I reversed them. Except for 3 way switches, they should always go UP
to turn a light ON. That's just the way it is, and what we're accustomed
to. However, electrically, they work the same way.

I heard that in England the light switches are usually down for on.

The "up" as "on" goes way back to the days of knife switches.

The powered line supply entered from the bottom, and you
pushed the knife handle "up" to energize the wiring
heading over to the monster's table...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 23:01:51 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

I heard that in England the light switches are usually down for on.

Where I worked the last large 480 volt disconnects to get in to electrical
cabinets were color coded so green was off and red was on. They said the
green ment it was safe to go into the cabinet and the red ment danger or not
safe to go into because the power was still on. That stuff came from Europe.

When a company has 2 different standards, they would be beter just painting
over them with the same color as the cabinet.

They dont know which side of the road to drive on either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On 12/14/2015 6:50 PM, wrote:
I once lived in a rental house that had 2 switches that were upside
down. (not 3 way). That was not a code violation, but it irritated me,
so I reversed them. Except for 3 way switches, they should always go UP
to turn a light ON. That's just the way it is, and what we're accustomed
to. However, electrically, they work the same way.

I stopped to help a couple guys jump start
a car. "Black for positive, and...."

Took a lot of effort not to say some thing.

I heard that in England the light switches are usually down for on.

Where I worked the last large 480 volt disconnects to get in to electrical
cabinets were color coded so green was off and red was on. They said the
green ment it was safe to go into the cabinet and the red ment danger or not
safe to go into because the power was still on. That stuff came from Europe.

When a company has 2 different standards, they would be beter just painting
over them with the same color as the cabinet.

They have switches that are off, up in New Zealand too.

I've noticed that some rocker switches are on when the bottom is pushed in and it's indicated by a green color or pilot light. I'm wondering where the symbol consisting of an open circle with a vertical line coming out from the center orriginated? Could be a nice little research project? (・_・ヾ

[8~{} Uncle Green Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/15 11:39 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
I've got a really old combination electrical receptacle that's failing
and needs to be replaced. It's configured with the outlet above the
switch. However, all the current models I've found have the switch on
top. Unfortunately,for my application, I need the outlet on top.

The question is-- can I mount it upside down without violating any
electrical codes?

Thanks for all the input-- I think I'll just go ahead and install in
upside down!

--
Before beginning, plan carefully.
- Marcus Tullius Cicero