DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Christmas present question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/387628-christmas-present-question.html)

KenK December 2nd 15 04:42 PM

Christmas present question

My sister usually buys me something and mails it to me for Christmas. This
year I was low on suggestions and only asked for blue jeans and/or socks so
far.

Now I will attempt to convince her that the best, safest way to ship a pair
of blue jeans is to wrap them around a new laptop, the more RAM and the
bigger the HD the better. Can you think of any convincing supporting
arguments for this suggestion?

TIA

Oren[_2_] December 2nd 15 05:02 PM

On 2 Dec 2015 16:42:03 GMT, KenK wrote:

My sister usually buys me something and mails it to me for Christmas. This
year I was low on suggestions and only asked for blue jeans and/or socks so
far.

Now I will attempt to convince her that the best, safest way to ship a pair
of blue jeans is to wrap them around a new laptop, the more RAM and the
bigger the HD the better. Can you think of any convincing supporting
arguments for this suggestion?

TIA

Tell her you promise to be a good brother?

Don Y[_3_] December 2nd 15 05:21 PM

On 12/2/2015 9:42 AM, KenK wrote:
My sister usually buys me something and mails it to me for Christmas. This
year I was low on suggestions and only asked for blue jeans and/or socks so
far.

Now I will attempt to convince her that the best, safest way to ship a pair
of blue jeans is to wrap them around a new laptop, the more RAM and the
bigger the HD the better. Can you think of any convincing supporting
arguments for this suggestion?

I've found that cash (paper currency, not coin) is a much better
packing material for your pants -- or any other item she opts
to send you.

She should keep in mind that most carriers suggest a TWO INCH THICK
"buffer" around the item you are shipping to ensure no breakage in
transit. Some folks claim higher denomination bills have greater
cushioning effect than lower denominated one -- caveat emptor.

If she suggest the socks might be an acceptable "buffer"/cushion,
remind her that the socks are the item that she wants to PROTECT!
Shirley she wouldn't want to risk DAMAGING THEM by using THEM
for protection! Sheesh!

DerbyDad03 December 2nd 15 05:47 PM

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 11:42:07 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
My sister usually buys me something and mails it to me for Christmas. This
year I was low on suggestions and only asked for blue jeans and/or socks so
far.

Now I will attempt to convince her that the best, safest way to ship a pair
of blue jeans is to wrap them around a new laptop, the more RAM and the
bigger the HD the better. Can you think of any convincing supporting
arguments for this suggestion?

Is this the type of laptop you want the jeans wrapped around?

https://cdn-img-3.wanelo.com/p/759/0...c/x354-q80.jpg

Eagle[_3_] December 3rd 15 03:40 PM

Christmas present question

KenK explained :
My sister usually buys me something and mails it to me for Christmas. This
year I was low on suggestions and only asked for blue jeans and/or socks so
far.

Now I will attempt to convince her that the best, safest way to ship a pair
of blue jeans is to wrap them around a new laptop, the more RAM and the
bigger the HD the better. Can you think of any convincing supporting
arguments for this suggestion?

TIA

Got a XP laptop you can have for $50.00.... :')

Tony Hwang December 3rd 15 03:51 PM

Christmas present question

Eagle wrote:
KenK explained :
My sister usually buys me something and mails it to me for Christmas.
This year I was low on suggestions and only asked for blue jeans
and/or socks so far.
Now I will attempt to convince her that the best, safest way to ship a
pair of blue jeans is to wrap them around a new laptop, the more RAM
and the bigger the HD the better. Can you think of any convincing
supporting arguments for this suggestion?

TIA

Got a XP laptop you can have for $50.00.... :')

More RAM and biggest hard drive? What if it has anemic cpu and pity
graphics controller and if battery life is not that good? All our
laptops in the family has Quad i7 cpu, Nvidia GTX series graphics card,
at least 16 GB memory, some with SSD. But iPAD is being used more and
more. I never saw laptops damaged shipped in original packaging.

Eagle[_3_] December 3rd 15 03:55 PM

Christmas present question

Tony Hwang submitted this idea :
Eagle wrote:
KenK explained :
My sister usually buys me something and mails it to me for Christmas.
This year I was low on suggestions and only asked for blue jeans
and/or socks so far.
Now I will attempt to convince her that the best, safest way to ship a
pair of blue jeans is to wrap them around a new laptop, the more RAM
and the bigger the HD the better. Can you think of any convincing
supporting arguments for this suggestion?

TIA

Got a XP laptop you can have for $50.00.... :')

More RAM and biggest hard drive? What if it has anemic cpu and pity
graphics controller and if battery life is not that good? All our
laptops in the family has Quad i7 cpu, Nvidia GTX series graphics card,
at least 16 GB memory, some with SSD. But iPAD is being used more and more. I
never saw laptops damaged shipped in original packaging.

This one has the basic 2G memory, and a 4Gig HD. The wireless modem is
a plug-in type.
Whut dooz yew want fo fiddy bucks? lol

Tony Hwang December 3rd 15 04:42 PM

Eagle wrote:
Tony Hwang submitted this idea :
Eagle wrote:
KenK explained :
[...]

Wow! PCMCIA WiFi card running in -G mode? That laptop should go to it's
next life, LOL!

Eagle[_3_] December 3rd 15 04:51 PM

Christmas present question

Tony Hwang explained :
Eagle wrote:
Tony Hwang submitted this idea :
Eagle wrote:
KenK explained :
[...]

I'm keeping it for nastalgic reasons. lol

Uncle Monster[_2_] December 3rd 15 11:06 PM

Christmas present question

On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 9:40:32 AM UTC-6, Eagle wrote:
KenK explained :
My sister usually buys me something and mails it to me for Christmas. This
year I was low on suggestions and only asked for blue jeans and/or socks so
far.

Now I will attempt to convince her that the best, safest way to ship a pair
of blue jeans is to wrap them around a new laptop, the more RAM and the
bigger the HD the better. Can you think of any convincing supporting
arguments for this suggestion?

TIA

Got a XP laptop you can have for $50.00.... :')

I have a couple of XP laptops I had to hang onto because the software needed to access the serial console on some network and phone systems will only run on XP. The XP laptops also have serial ports that my newer Vista and Win7 laptops don't have. Yea I know, USB to serial converters but the software doesn't run on the newer machines. It would be too much fraking around to get the software to run with an emulator and a USB to serial converter. Sometimes it's good to hang onto old things, I guess that's why I'm still around. (ヅ)

[8~{} Uncle Old Monster

Uncle Monster[_2_] December 3rd 15 11:10 PM

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 11:47:24 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 11:42:07 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
My sister usually buys me something and mails it to me for Christmas. This
year I was low on suggestions and only asked for blue jeans and/or socks so
far.

Now I will attempt to convince her that the best, safest way to ship a pair
of blue jeans is to wrap them around a new laptop, the more RAM and the
bigger the HD the better. Can you think of any convincing supporting
arguments for this suggestion?

Is this the type of laptop you want the jeans wrapped around?

https://cdn-img-3.wanelo.com/p/759/0...c/x354-q80.jpg

That's the kind of thing most guys would like to have in their laps. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Lap Monster

Tony Hwang December 3rd 15 11:33 PM

Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

You darn sure know what S stands for in USB.... serial service is hidden
on newer Windows. You can enable it. One example is TFTP server.
Matter of using right driver which are out there. Ever used Putty?

Uncle Monster[_2_] December 4th 15 03:03 PM

On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 5:33:44 PM UTC-6, Tony Hwang wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I love to screw around with my computer toys but I had to be able to send one of the guys (non computer geek) I work with out to a jobsite to hook a laptop up to a VoIP system so tech support from the manufacturer could access the system via The Internet. He knows how to plug cables in and has a limited understanding of Win XP so I had to be able to talk him through setting the thing up. I got on the phone with him a few nights ago to help him get his home office XP computer to print. I now have to call him back and talk him through enabling that particular printer. I can visualize XP in my head because I've worked with it so much that I'm able to talk him through enabling various features in XP. It would be impossible to explain PuTTY to him so I must have the simplest plug and play gear for servicing routers, phone systems and energy management systems which use the RS-232 protocol as the means to access the control panel. When I was still working out in the field several years ago, I noticed that the new Cisco gear had a mini USB port next to the RS-232 serial port used to access the console. The USB connection would be even easier for my buddy to plug a laptop into and access the Cisco box. —‰€¿—‰

[8~{} Uncle Serial Monster

KenK December 4th 15 04:16 PM

Christmas present question

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 11:42:07 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
My sister usually buys me something and mails it to me for Christmas.
This year I was low on suggestions and only asked for blue jeans
and/or socks so far.

Now I will attempt to convince her that the best, safest way to ship
a pair of blue jeans is to wrap them around a new laptop, the more
RAM and the bigger the HD the better. Can you think of any convincing
supporting arguments for this suggestion?

Is this the type of laptop you want the jeans wrapped around?

https://cdn-img-3.wanelo.com/p/759/0...4b4532fac/x354
-q80.jpg

How did you guess?

KenK December 4th 15 05:49 PM

Christmas present question

Oren wrote in
:

On 2 Dec 2015 16:42:03 GMT, KenK wrote:

My sister usually buys me something and mails it to me for Christmas.
This year I was low on suggestions and only asked for blue jeans
and/or socks so far.

Now I will attempt to convince her that the best, safest way to ship a
pair of blue jeans is to wrap them around a new laptop, the more RAM
and the bigger the HD the better. Can you think of any convincing
supporting arguments for this suggestion?

TIA

Tell her you promise to be a good brother?

She just brings up all the things I did when we were kids (I'm 7 years
older). Unfortunately, she has a very good memory.

Eagle[_3_] December 4th 15 11:26 PM

Christmas present question

Uncle Monster pretended :
[...]

Yes it is Uncle M....at 66, I hope to be around a little longer, so I'm
losing the extra 60 pounds I added when I retired. At 200, I will see
70...I hope. :D

Tony Hwang December 4th 15 11:44 PM

Christmas present question

Eagle wrote:
Uncle Monster pretended :
[...]

Hmmm,
You're junior to me by 10 years, LOL! I am hoping to see 90 so I can
watch only grand son goes to college, god willin,g attend to his
wedding...I wish. I am steady at around 165 always. almost 6 feet.

Muggles[_4_] December 4th 15 11:58 PM

Christmas present question

On 12/4/2015 5:44 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Eagle wrote:
Uncle Monster pretended :
[...]

My MIL turned 90 this year and is doing quite well.

--
Maggie

Uncle Monster[_2_] December 5th 15 06:47 AM

Christmas present question

On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 5:26:58 PM UTC-6, Eagle wrote:
Uncle Monster pretended :
[...]

Hell, I was at 385 at one time then I cut the liquid sugar and dropped 100. In 2013 I was down to 235 then went to 250 for a year but since I've been here at the center I gained 30 and am now 280. The food here is really good but if I get more active, I'll get back to 250. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Chubby Monster

Uncle Monster[_2_] December 5th 15 06:57 AM

Christmas present question

On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 5:45:07 PM UTC-6, Tony Hwang wrote:
Eagle wrote:
Uncle Monster pretended :
[...]

Dang you're skinny. When I was 15, I was at 240lbs then at 17 I was taller at 5'12" and 170lbs. I was also on the wrestling team. I guess I got interested in girls and got busy. Exercise does wonders for weight loss. \(—¦'Œ£'—¦)/

[8~{} Uncle Skinny Monster

Uncle Monster[_2_] December 5th 15 07:00 AM

On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 5:58:50 PM UTC-6, Muggles wrote:
On 12/4/2015 5:44 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Eagle wrote:
Uncle Monster pretended :
[...]

Granny, my paternal Southern grandmother made it to 95. She was a real hoot.. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Surviving Monster

FrozenNorth[_8_] December 5th 15 07:05 AM

On 2015-12-05 1:57 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 5:45:07 PM UTC-6, Tony Hwang wrote:
Eagle wrote:
Uncle Monster pretended :
[...]

6'5" and holding steady at about 195, tossed my thyroid several months
ago, gained about 30 pounds, with the meds it is back to normal weight
for me now.

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Muggles[_4_] December 5th 15 06:20 PM

On 12/5/2015 1:00 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 5:58:50 PM UTC-6, Muggles wrote:
On 12/4/2015 5:44 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Eagle wrote:
Uncle Monster pretended :
[...]

Did she speak owl fluently, too?

--
Maggie

Eagle[_3_] December 5th 15 11:54 PM

Christmas present question

Tony Hwang wrote on 12/4/2015 :
Eagle wrote:
Uncle Monster pretended :
[...]

I was 180 in six grade, 145 at 18, 220 at 25 through 40, then jumped to
240 to 46, now a steady 260 at 66. Funny that I am the healthiest
between 3 brothers, Father and Mother, and I'm the only one alive now.

Eagle[_3_] December 5th 15 11:55 PM

Christmas present question

Muggles was thinking very hard :
On 12/4/2015 5:44 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Eagle wrote:
Uncle Monster pretended :
[...]

That's great! How does She feel?

Eagle[_3_] December 5th 15 11:56 PM

Christmas present question

Uncle Monster laid this down on his screen :
On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 5:45:07 PM UTC-6, Tony Hwang wrote:
Eagle wrote:
Uncle Monster pretended :
[...]

OK...Uncle humpty... lol

Eagle[_3_] December 5th 15 11:58 PM

Christmas present question

FrozenNorth brought next idea :
On 2015-12-05 1:57 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 5:45:07 PM UTC-6, Tony Hwang wrote:
Eagle wrote:
Uncle Monster pretended :
[...]

You're a tall rascal! You have Me by 5".

Eagle[_3_] December 6th 15 12:00 AM

Christmas present question

It happens that Uncle Monster formulated :
[...]

Yeahbut you have a heavy weight personality Uncle M... ^^

Muggles[_4_] December 6th 15 01:36 AM

On 12/5/2015 5:55 PM, Eagle wrote:
Muggles was thinking very hard :
On 12/4/2015 5:44 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Eagle wrote:
Uncle Monster pretended :
[...]

She has her aches and pains, but doing OK.

--
Maggie

bob haller December 6th 15 03:17 AM

Christmas present question

I was 315 in july 2001, by that january I had lost 100 pounds, and bottomed doing heavy exercise helping gut friends home, it had been seriously fire damaged. lowest weight 175, i looked bad my docs yelled at me for being underweight.

today some 14 years later I weigh 220

the gastric bypass weight loss surgery saved my life.

my surgons goal weight was 200. so i am only 20 pounds over goal

Uncle Monster[_2_] December 6th 15 03:37 AM

On 2015-12-05 1:57 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 5:45:07 PM UTC-6, Tony Hwang wrote:
Eagle wrote:
Uncle Monster pretended :
[...]

You're certainly no snowman, more like a scarecrow but if you had thick fur, you could be a Canuck Yeti. You be skinny. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Chubby Monster

Uncle Monster[_2_] December 6th 15 03:44 AM

On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 12:20:36 PM UTC-6, Muggles wrote:
On 12/5/2015 1:00 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 5:58:50 PM UTC-6, Muggles wrote:
On 12/4/2015 5:44 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Eagle wrote:
Uncle Monster pretended :
[...]

Granny was a very funny lady. She had an old Southern name. Her name was Pearl. I imagine if I had a daughter I'd have to name her after Granny. Nana's name is too hard to pronounce. t(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Funny Monster

Uncle Monster[_2_] December 6th 15 03:53 AM

On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 6:00:07 PM UTC-6, Eagle wrote:
[...]

I don't consider myself to be obese because I have no beer gut or man boobs.. I don't need a mirror to see Mr.Happy either. I look straight down and can see where he's hiding because there's no belly blocking my view. (—¦'Œ£'—¦)

[8~{} Uncle Stocky Monster

Uncle Monster[_2_] December 6th 15 03:56 AM

On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 9:17:45 PM UTC-6, bob haller wrote:
I was 315 in july 2001, by that january I had lost 100 pounds, and bottomed doing heavy exercise helping gut friends home, it had been seriously fire damaged. lowest weight 175, i looked bad my docs yelled at me for being underweight.

today some 14 years later I weigh 220

the gastric bypass weight loss surgery saved my life.

my surgons goal weight was 200. so i am only 20 pounds over goal

Good for you! Are there any foods that you avoid? ¯\_—‰€¿—‰_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Foodie Monster

Muggles[_4_] December 6th 15 04:40 AM

On 12/5/2015 9:44 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 12:20:36 PM UTC-6, Muggles wrote:
On 12/5/2015 1:00 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 5:58:50 PM UTC-6, Muggles wrote:
On 12/4/2015 5:44 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Eagle wrote:
Uncle Monster pretended :
[...]

Lovely name. Kind of classy.

--
Maggie

Muggles[_4_] December 6th 15 04:41 AM

On 12/5/2015 9:53 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Cave man is the picture I'm getting. Tall, around 6 foot, stocky, long
beard. smile

--
Maggie

Uncle Monster[_2_] December 6th 15 07:52 AM

On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 10:41:30 PM UTC-6, Muggles wrote:
[...]

Yep, Cave Monster. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Cave Monster

Eagle[_3_] December 6th 15 04:12 PM

Christmas present question

Muggles formulated the question :
On 12/5/2015 5:55 PM, Eagle wrote:
Muggles was thinking very hard :
On 12/4/2015 5:44 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Eagle wrote:
Uncle Monster pretended :
[...]

My Ina made it to 88, and My Unci made 107. My Ate checked out at 58,
and I'm the last of three at 66.
I better eat more wheaties, eh?

Eagle[_3_] December 6th 15 04:14 PM

[...]

I won't ask if Mr. Happy is a player... lol

Muggles[_4_] December 6th 15 06:08 PM

On 12/6/2015 1:52 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 10:41:30 PM UTC-6, Muggles wrote:

Cave man is the picture I'm getting. Tall, around 6 foot, stocky, long
beard. smile
--
Maggie

Yep, Cave Monster. ^_^