Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thumping noise after running hot water

I get a pretty loud thumping noise after I run the hot water, eg, after cleaning dishes. The thump occurs maybe once every 10 minutes. I've done a little Google-research, and I understand that the copper pipes are expanding, then contracting, and somewhere along the line they bang against a stud. That makes sense. That's sort of the sound I get. But I still have a few questions.

1. The thump continues hours after I've stopped running the water. Eg, I ran the sink at 5:00 and I still get a thump at 8:30. Not as frequent, but still there. Is this reasonable?

2. I don't know how long I've had this problem, but I don't think it was happening when I first bought the house some 20 years ago. Is there any chance it will just go away in a year or two?

3. My research convinced me that it can not be fixed, I should just live with it. Is that the opinion around here?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 17:28:03 -0800 (PST), Dom
wrote:

I get a pretty loud thumping noise after I run the hot water, eg, after cleaning dishes. The thump occurs maybe once every 10 minutes. I've done a little Google-research, and I understand that the copper pipes are expanding, then contracting, and somewhere along the line they bang against a stud. That makes sense. That's sort of the sound I get. But I still have a few questions.

Yes.

1. The thump continues hours after I've stopped running the water. Eg, I ran the sink at 5:00 and I still get a thump at 8:30. Not as frequent, but still there. Is this reasonable?

How hot is the water? Turn the heater temp down and see if the time to
stop lessons.

2. I don't know how long I've had this problem, but I don't think it was happening when I first bought the house some 20 years ago. Is there any chance it will just go away in a year or two?

No. You could turn the water temp down and go from there.

3. My research convinced me that it can not be fixed, I should just live with it. Is that the opinion around here?

My guess is a pipe strap has come loose in the wall, not secure to the
stud as original. You may need to open the wall and secure the pipe.
Try a stethoscope to narrow down the area and reduce the size of the
opening.

YMMV,
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

get a pretty loud thumping noise after I run the hot water

http://www.disneyclips.com/imagesnew...pthumper12.gif

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/22/15 8:28 PM, Dom wrote:
[...]

The last house I lived in for 25 years had a similar problem. When the
hot water in the master bedroom sink was run, we got a squeaking
sound. Time between squeaks would vary, up and down. Figured it was a
copper pipe that was rubbing against a stud, probably as the house,
built in 1971, shifted a little. We just "lived with it". Got to where
we just "tuned it out", not noticing it every time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dom posted for all of us...

[...]

Let the guy loose.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 11:17:47 -0500, Retired wrote:

On 11/22/15 8:28 PM, Dom wrote:
[...]

When I leave my house, and almost slam the door, about 4 seconds
later, I hear a noise. Not every time, but maybe 100 times already.
Never right away like one would expect. I always forget to turn
around until it makes the noise. Maybe if I turned around in time I
could tell where it was coming from.

It seems like a weight is hanging from a string, and when I slam the
door, like one pool ball being hit by another, the weight and string
pivot away from hanging straight down, they go out a ways, and then
fall back and that's when it makes the noise. But I have nothing that
could do that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/22/15 8:28 PM, Dom wrote:
[...]

Could be an air pressure thing.

I have a storm door and entry door from my house into the attached
garage. I also have a cat (and sometimes raccoon) door in the garage
door itself. Sometimes - but not always - when I open the storm door
the cat (and sometimes raccoon) door will swing with the change of
pressure and go "thwack thwack" as it engages the magnet that keeps
it in the closed position. Perhaps something in your house is swinging
due to a change in pressure caused by the closing door and may not hit
whatever it is hitting until the "swing conditions" are just right.

You say four seconds? Maybe it's starting to swing when you *open*
the door and the closing of the door has nothing to do with it or
maybe it takes both actions to cause the noise. Have you tried one
without the other?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/22/15 8:28 PM, Dom wrote:
[...]

It's just that if it's inside, it would have to be pretty loud for me
to hear it from outside the house.

No storm door, no cat, no raccoon, no garage, no cat door.

I do have a mail slot in the door, but that makes a higher pitched
sound, and couldn't possibly take 2 whole seconds to go up and back
again. Actually it hs doors on both sides. The door opens in, so
slamming it shut would make the outer door leave its location a little
bit**.

** (The mail-slot door on the inside would just be pressed harder
against the door and wouldn't move.)

You say four seconds? Maybe it's starting to swing when you *open*

Let me change that to 2 seconds.

the door and the closing of the door has nothing to do with it or
maybe it takes both actions to cause the noise. Have you tried one
without the other?

I've opened the door without closing it 100's of times. It's rare I
close it without having just opened it, except when I'm going back
into the house. I've never heard this noise when I go into the house.

It seems like the downspout, something as heavy as that, is moving
away from the house and then swinging back, but the downspout isn't
loose at all. Or something in the closet just inside the door. I'll
look again to see if there is anything loose in the closet, but I
think I would have noticed that already.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky, I don't understand. Why can't you just stay at the door and open and close it as often as you need I n order to track the noise?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 06:52:09 -0800 (PST), Dom
wrote:

Micky, I don't understand. Why can't you just stay at the door and open and close it as often as you need I n order to track the noise?

I think it only happened some of the time, once in a row. I've
changed to past tense because i realize it hasn't happened for months.
So that means I'll never know what it was.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My best guess is that you may have some sediment in the bottom of the
WH. After using hot water the flame kicks on and makes steam under the
sediment. Try draining and flushing the heater.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Draining the water heater will not stop a loose pipe in the wall from
banging against a stud. A new pipe strap will.
Posted to alt.home.repair

any chance its a echo? at certain times we have that here
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 16:43:25 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

any chance its a echo? at certain times we have that here

...."A nymph whose unrequited love for Narcissus caused her to pine
away until only her voice remained".

LOL "Maybe its siren call - the enticing appeal of something alluring
but potentially dangerous".