Posted to alt.home.repair

Default This New Old House

A really bizarre story about a new old house. I kinda cool too. ^_^

http://www.littlethings.com/original...ce=FOX&vpage=1

[8~{} Uncle New Old Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 9, 2015 at 6:09:40 AM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
A really bizarre story about a new old house. I kinda cool too. ^_^

http://www.littlethings.com/original...ce=FOX&vpage=1

[8~{} Uncle New Old Monster

I liked the dishwasher the best. I never knew they made top loaders
like that. Looks so small as to be useless though.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 9, 2015 at 5:58:42 AM UTC-6, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, November 9, 2015 at 6:09:40 AM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
A really bizarre story about a new old house. I kinda cool too. ^_^

http://www.littlethings.com/original...ce=FOX&vpage=1

[8~{} Uncle New Old Monster

I liked the dishwasher the best. I never knew they made top loaders
like that. Looks so small as to be useless though.....

I thought the refrigerator was interesting too. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Fridge Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 Nov 2015 03:09:33 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

A really bizarre story about a new old house. I kinda cool too. ^_^

http://www.littlethings.com/original...ce=FOX&vpage=1

[8~{} Uncle New Old Monster

This house had a Mamie pink bathroom when I moved in, we lived with it
for years but, finally, my wife said it had to go
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/new%20room/New%20bathroom3.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A really bizarre story about a new old house. I kinda cool too. ^_^

http://www.littlethings.com/original...ce=FOX&vpage=1

[8~{} Uncle New Old Monster

Interesting about colors. Years ago it was learned the pink or red
tended to make prisoners more violent in drunk tanks at local jails.
Pastels were better.

I remember the Harvest Gold and Avocado appliances.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A really bizarre story about a new old house. I kinda cool too. ^_^

http://www.littlethings.com/original...ce=FOX&vpage=1

[8~{} Uncle New Old Monster

This house had a Mamie pink bathroom when I moved in, we lived with it
for years but, finally, my wife said it had to go
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/new%20room/New%20bathroom3.jpg

We had 3 pink fixtures when we moved in. Then the toilet went bad and I
replaced it with a white one. How's that for a look? ;-)

When enough of the 1" pink and black tiles popped off the floor, I knew
the time for a gut job had come.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 09 Nov 2015 13:13:45 -0500, wrote:

This house had a Mamie pink bathroom when I moved in, we lived with it
for years but, finally, my wife said it had to go
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/new%20room/New%20bathroom3.jpg

Thor? Is that you?!

I dress like that in the winter, shave about as often
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Uncle Monster wrote:
A really bizarre story about a new old house. I kinda cool too. ^_^

http://www.littlethings.com/original...ce=FOX&vpage=1

About the appliances, I wonder what would decay over 54 years of just
sitting there unused. Dried rubber, brittle plastic, evaporated
lubricants, rust. And speaking of rust, how did the roof and exterior
keep the elements out for 54 years?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, November 10, 2015 at 4:00:07 AM UTC-6, Fake ID wrote:
In article ,
Uncle Monster wrote:
A really bizarre story about a new old house. I kinda cool too. ^_^

http://www.littlethings.com/original...ce=FOX&vpage=1

About the appliances, I wonder what would decay over 54 years of just
sitting there unused. Dried rubber, brittle plastic, evaporated
lubricants, rust. And speaking of rust, how did the roof and exterior
keep the elements out for 54 years?

I wondered how the house remained intact and untouched by vandals and scavengers? Perhaps it's in a gated and secured housing development? o_O

[8~{} Uncle Protected Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default This New Old House (now: Violent colors for police stations)

wrote:

A really bizarre story about a new old house. I kinda cool too. ^_^

http://www.littlethings.com/original...ce=FOX&vpage=1

[8~{} Uncle New Old Monster

Interesting about colors. Years ago it was learned the pink or red
tended to make prisoners more violent in drunk tanks at local jails.
Pastels were better.

I remember the Harvest Gold and Avocado appliances.

One police officer explained it to me, that
red is on the hot end of the spectrum, blues
are cool colors. They actually had the interview
room at the police station repainted from pink
to light blue.

At church, they are changing from light blue
4100k fluorescent tubes to 3000k yellow ones.
I wonder what effect that will produce?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A really bizarre story about a new old house. I kinda cool too. ^_^

http://www.littlethings.com/original...ce=FOX&vpage=1

[8~{} Uncle New Old Monster

Interesting about colors. Years ago it was learned the pink or red
tended to make prisoners more violent in drunk tanks at local jails.
Pastels were better.

I remember the Harvest Gold and Avocado appliances.

One police officer explained it to me, that
red is on the hot end of the spectrum, blues
are cool colors. They actually had the interview
room at the police station repainted from pink
to light blue.

At church, they are changing from light blue
4100k fluorescent tubes to 3000k yellow ones.
I wonder what effect that will produce?

That might explain why I violently mash the gas pedal
to the floor whenever I see a red light.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:
A really bizarre story about a new old house. I kinda cool too. ^_^

http://www.littlethings.com/original...ce=FOX&vpage=1

About the appliances, I wonder what would decay over 54 years of just
sitting there unused. Dried rubber, brittle plastic, evaporated
lubricants, rust. And speaking of rust, how did the roof and exterior
keep the elements out for 54 years?

I wondered how the house remained intact and untouched by vandals and
scavengers? Perhaps it's in a gated and secured housing development?
o_O

The blog post left alot unsaid, saying only "mystery".
I find it hard to believe that a house could go that many years with no
maintenance and still be in the pristine shape it was presented in.

I'm reminded of the Brand New Car put in a "time capsule" underground
vault (in OK, IIRC). When they retrieved the car after decades it was
end to end rust because the vault had filled with water at some point.
Thus demonstrating the man-made things need a man to look after them
otherwise they turn into ruins.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 11, 2015 at 2:30:06 AM UTC-6, Fake ID wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I imagine that if it was a model house in a housing development, the owners of the development would have kept it maintained. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Modern Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/10/2015 12:37 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, November 10, 2015 at 7:21:58 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
One police officer explained it to me, that
red is on the hot end of the spectrum, blues
are cool colors. They actually had the interview
room at the police station repainted from pink
to light blue.

That might explain why I violently mash the gas pedal
to the floor whenever I see a red light.

Just think, if we could turn right on blue light?

That would change the society a bit, "honest officer,
I didn't see the blue stop sign".

With red green color vision problems in men, a blue
stop light would make a LOT of sense.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/11/2015 3:22 AM, Fake ID wrote:
The blog post left alot unsaid, saying only "mystery".
I find it hard to believe that a house could go that many years with no
maintenance and still be in the pristine shape it was presented in.

I'm reminded of the Brand New Car put in a "time capsule" underground
vault (in OK, IIRC). When they retrieved the car after decades it was
end to end rust because the vault had filled with water at some point.
Thus demonstrating the man-made things need a man to look after them
otherwise they turn into ruins.

And Neil Armstrong's space suit is in serious decay.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smiths...955964/?no-ist

has a length of 175 characters and resulted in the following TinyURL
which has a length of 26 characters:
http://tinyurl.com/oapactb

[Open in new window][Copy to clipboard]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 11, 2015 at 7:24:48 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/10/2015 12:37 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, November 10, 2015 at 7:21:58 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
One police officer explained it to me, that
red is on the hot end of the spectrum, blues
are cool colors. They actually had the interview
room at the police station repainted from pink
to light blue.

That might explain why I violently mash the gas pedal
to the floor whenever I see a red light.

Just think, if we could turn right on blue light?

Speaking of Right On Red, one of my friends works for
the department that is responsible for the red light
cameras in our city. There's an interesting underbelly
of that environment.

Keep in mind that the Red Light camera system is set up
such that privacy laws prevent the cameras from using an
image of the driver, so fines are accessed against the
registered owner of the vehicle.

First off, the system is always on and stores continuous
video of the intersection for roughly 7 days. The police
sometimes request the files if they need a video of an
incident.

As far as accessing fines, the system is set up to send an
image and video to the police under specific circumstances:
The light is red and the vehicle doesn't stop.

Now, in order for the system to know that the light is
red, the simple solution would be to tie the cameras into
the control box for the traffic signals. Unfortunately, the
*county* is responsible for the control boxes and does not
want the city's cameras tied into the boxes. So, the city
had to install cameras to watch the lights. These cameras
then tell the cameras that watch the cars to be prepared to
snap an image.

Ok, so now the police have an image of a vehicle going
through a red light without stopping. Every instance is
manually reviewed by someone in the police department
and a decision is made as to whether to fine the vehicle's
owner or not. Many factors go into this decision, not the
least of which is who is the registered owner of the vehicle.

There are a number of exempt plates, e.g. the FBI, undercover
police, vehicles registered to the city, etc. With the city
owned vehicle situation we have to go a whole layer deeper. If
the city was fined, they would essentially be paying themselves,
so no fine is accessed. However, we can't have city workers
running red lights all over town, so the incident is reported
to the department that owns the vehicle, who is supposed to
determine who was driving at the time of the incident and record
the incident in the worker's file. The union contract prevents the
city from making the driver pay the fine, but they do allow the
incident to be recorded in their file, assuming they can determine,
without a doubt, who was driving.

OK, so how about the infamous "rolling right on red"? The light is
red, the vehicle did not stop, so the camera transmits the image
and the police reviewer has to make a decision.

2:00AM, clear night, not another car in sight, not a repeat
offender, maybe no fine.

10:00AM, Pregnant mom pushing a stroller in the crosswalk,
driver almost brushes her butt with his fender, fine is accessed.

Just like "live police" they have discretion as to whether to
symbolically pull the driver over or not.

You'd be surprised how many repeat offenders there are. My friend
was telling me that there are drivers with dozens of outstanding
fines. The police have a list of plates and the city has "boot
installers" that also have a list. They are supposed to boot the
repeat offenders vehicles until they pay. To be honest, there are
some neighborhoods where I wouldn't stop to boot a vehicle even if
the registered owner owed thousands.

One other thing that is kind of funny. The fine must be paid
within 30 days or another $25 is added to the fine. However,
you are allowed to request a "free" hearing. By "free" I mean
that win or lose, there is no "court" fee added to the fine.
The way the system is currently set up, as long as you request
that hearing within the first 30 days, the $25 late fee will
never be accessed. So even if you know you are flat out guilty,
you can hang onto to your cash for up to 90 days before a
judgement will be issued.