DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   White Trash Mother Of The Year? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/386839-white-trash-mother-year.html)

Lori[_2_] November 7th 15 04:59 PM

White Trash Mother Of The Year?

Candidate for "White Trash Mother Of The Year" ???

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...bourbon-764901

Colonel Edmund J. Burke[_16_] November 7th 15 06:04 PM

http://lemonparty.org

rbowman November 7th 15 06:59 PM

On 11/07/2015 09:59 AM, Lori wrote:
Candidate for "White Trash Mother Of The Year" ???

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...bourbon-764901

It was better in the good old day when you'd just rub paregoric
(camphorated tincture of opium) on the kid's gums and have a little sip
yourself.

Oren[_2_] November 7th 15 11:11 PM

White Trash Mother Of The Year?

On Sat, 07 Nov 2015 11:59:04 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

It was better in the good old day when you'd just rub paregoric
(camphorated tincture of opium) on the kid's gums and have a little sip
yourself.

True. Paregoric was the go to item in the drug store. Later, teens
learned to burn off the alcohol and added it to pot (opium).

Mom made a "Hot Toddy" for us when sore throats or swollen tonsils.

Warm honey, lemon and whiskey. Soothed the throat and serious cough.

I dipped my finger in JD and my teething baby chewed on the finger for
awhile to ease teething pain.

Muggles November 7th 15 11:49 PM

wrote:

It was better in the good old day when you'd just rub paregoric
(camphorated tincture of opium) on the kid's gums and have a little sip
yourself.

True. Paregoric was the go to item in the drug store. Later, teens
learned to burn off the alcohol and added it to pot (opium).

Mom made a "Hot Toddy" for us when sore throats or swollen tonsils.

Warm honey, lemon and whiskey. Soothed the throat and serious cough.

I dipped my finger in JD and my teething baby chewed on the finger for
awhile to ease teething pain.

My grandmother made her own cough syrup out of whiskey and rock candy.
It was the only think she said worked for her when she got a bad cough.

For the baby we use to dip our finger in liquid cloves and rub it on
their gums. That worked pretty good.

--
Maggie

Oren[_2_] November 8th 15 12:19 AM

wrote:

It was better in the good old day when you'd just rub paregoric
(camphorated tincture of opium) on the kid's gums and have a little sip
yourself.

True. Paregoric was the go to item in the drug store. Later, teens
learned to burn off the alcohol and added it to pot (opium).

Mom made a "Hot Toddy" for us when sore throats or swollen tonsils.

Warm honey, lemon and whiskey. Soothed the throat and serious cough.

I dipped my finger in JD and my teething baby chewed on the finger for
awhile to ease teething pain.

My grandmother made her own cough syrup out of whiskey and rock candy.
It was the only think she said worked for her when she got a bad cough.

For the baby we use to dip our finger in liquid cloves and rub it on
their gums. That worked pretty good.

Elders knew best. Now days a home remedy is called child endangerment
or child abuse by the "you libs", superior thinkers.

Bob F November 8th 15 12:24 AM

wrote:

[...]

And you righties think a .19 blood alcohol level in a baby is OK?????

Frank[_24_] November 8th 15 12:43 AM

wrote:

[...]

You don't get it just from rubbing on the gums.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] November 8th 15 02:22 AM

On 11/7/2015 1:59 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 11/07/2015 09:59 AM, Lori wrote:
Candidate for "White Trash Mother Of The Year" ???

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...bourbon-764901

It was better in the good old day when you'd just rub paregoric
(camphorated tincture of opium) on the kid's gums and have a little sip
yourself.

Can't use benzocaine on kids?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Stormin Mormon[_10_] November 8th 15 02:24 AM

On 11/7/2015 6:49 PM, Muggles wrote:

My grandmother made her own cough syrup out of whiskey and rock candy.
It was the only think she said worked for her when she got a bad cough.

For the baby we use to dip our finger in liquid cloves and rub it on
their gums. That worked pretty good.

If memory is working, oil of cloves is
used by dentists, but they call it
eugenol.

One time, I had great results with Kanka,
comes in a small glass bottle with
applicator. Leaves a long lasting waxy
benzocaine film, which worked well.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Oren[_2_] November 8th 15 02:58 AM

White Trash Mother Of The Year?

On Sat, 7 Nov 2015 21:22:55 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Can't use benzocaine on kids?

Back in the 40's 50's some prisons kept jugs of liquid Thorazine on
the cell block ranges. Offices gave cup full to violent guys, went on
days off, came back and the guy was still sleeping. You could "roll
them around in wheel barrows" G

rbowman November 8th 15 03:44 AM

On 11/07/2015 04:49 PM, Muggles wrote:
My grandmother made her own cough syrup out of whiskey and rock candy.
It was the only think she said worked for her when she got a bad cough.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Wine-a...cktail-History

Like the cat, it's coming back. Where I grew up rye referred to any
blended whiskey. When I first ran into Old Overholt pure rye whiskey in
the wilds of Minnesota I recall a chunk of rock candy would have been an
improvement.

rbowman November 8th 15 03:46 AM

On 11/07/2015 05:24 PM, Bob F wrote:
And you righties think a .19 blood alcohol level in a baby is OK?????

Hell yeah. I mean, it's not like it's the designated driver or anything.
No wonder you lefties are such pussies.

rbowman November 8th 15 03:54 AM

On 11/07/2015 07:58 PM, Oren wrote:
Back in the 40's 50's some prisons kept jugs of liquid Thorazine on
the cell block ranges. Offices gave cup full to violent guys, went on
days off, came back and the guy was still sleeping. You could "roll
them around in wheel barrows" G

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titicut_Follies

iirc, thorazine was the answer to every problem at Bridgewater State.

Oren[_2_] November 8th 15 04:04 AM

White Trash Mother Of The Year?

On Sat, 07 Nov 2015 20:54:59 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 11/07/2015 07:58 PM, Oren wrote:
Back in the 40's 50's some prisons kept jugs of liquid Thorazine on
the cell block ranges. Offices gave cup full to violent guys, went on
days off, came back and the guy was still sleeping. You could "roll
them around in wheel barrows" G

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titicut_Follies

iirc, thorazine was the answer to every problem at Bridgewater State.

"Thorazine Shuffle" -- walking crooked in the corridor :)

ChairMan[_6_] November 8th 15 07:21 AM

wrote:

Can't use benzocaine on kids?

Back in the 40's 50's some prisons kept jugs of liquid
Thorazine on
the cell block ranges. Offices gave cup full to violent
guys, went on
days off, came back and the guy was still sleeping. You
could "roll
them around in wheel barrows" G

The Liquid Straightjacket

CRNG[_2_] November 8th 15 11:33 AM

White Trash Mother Of The Year?

On Sat, 7 Nov 2015 11:59:29 -0500, Lori
wrote in om

Candidate for "White Trash Mother Of The Year" ???

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...bourbon-764901

....blood alcohol content of .19

Hell, a lot of people can drive quite well at that level.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] November 8th 15 12:56 PM

wrote:

Can't use benzocaine on kids?

Back in the 40's 50's some prisons kept jugs of liquid Thorazine on
the cell block ranges. Offices gave cup full to violent guys, went on
days off, came back and the guy was still sleeping. You could "roll
them around in wheel barrows" G

And the doctors used to provide phenobarbital
drops for parents of rowdy kids. Couple drops
in the milk.

Modern medicine sure has improved. Not.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Jack November 8th 15 01:14 PM

On 11/08/2015 06:33 AM, CRNG wrote:
On Sat, 7 Nov 2015 11:59:29 -0500, Lori
wrote in om

Candidate for "White Trash Mother Of The Year" ???

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...bourbon-764901

...blood alcohol content of .19

Hell, a lot of people can drive quite well at that level.

A beer in one hand, a smartphone in the other and both knees firmly on the wheel.

rbowman November 8th 15 08:07 PM

On 11/08/2015 05:56 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
And the doctors used to provide phenobarbital
drops for parents of rowdy kids. Couple drops
in the milk.

Modern medicine sure has improved. Not.

Yeah, now they prescribe Adderall, aka dexedrine, and wonder why the
rowdy kids shoot their school mates. At least they were non-violent on
the barbies.

(PeteCresswell) November 9th 15 02:32 AM

White Trash Mother Of The Year?

Per rbowman:
Modern medicine sure has improved. Not.

Yeah, now they prescribe Adderall, aka dexedrine, and wonder why the
rowdy kids shoot their school mates. At least they were non-violent on
the barbies.

I was on Dexedrine for about two years when I was a kid (a weight
control doctor in NYC that my dad took me to).

My little anecdote is that it caused damage to my nervous system and
other parts of my body that has lasted a lifetime.
--
Pete Cresswell

Muggles November 9th 15 04:42 AM

wrote:

[...]

I know. They think spanking a misbehaving child is child abuse, too.

--
Maggie

rbowman November 9th 15 05:55 AM

On 11/08/2015 07:32 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I was on Dexedrine for about two years when I was a kid (a weight
control doctor in NYC that my dad took me to).

My little anecdote is that it caused damage to my nervous system and
other parts of my body that has lasted a lifetime.

Yeah, that was the '60s weight loss solution. My family doctor favored
Biphetamine 20's, 10 mg of dextro, 10 mg of levo, just to make sure all
basis were covered. The irony was my mother accused my future wife of
introducing me to drugs while it actually was dear old Mom herself. All
legal, of course.

Muggles November 9th 15 06:05 PM

On 11/7/2015 8:24 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/7/2015 6:49 PM, Muggles wrote:

My grandmother made her own cough syrup out of whiskey and rock candy.
It was the only think she said worked for her when she got a bad cough.

For the baby we use to dip our finger in liquid cloves and rub it on
their gums. That worked pretty good.

If memory is working, oil of cloves is
used by dentists, but they call it
eugenol.

One time, I had great results with Kanka,
comes in a small glass bottle with
applicator. Leaves a long lasting waxy
benzocaine film, which worked well.

Don't think I've heard of Kanka before. If it worked, the baby was
happy, I'm sure!

--
Maggie

Muggles November 9th 15 06:08 PM

On 11/7/2015 9:44 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 11/07/2015 04:49 PM, Muggles wrote:
My grandmother made her own cough syrup out of whiskey and rock candy.
It was the only think she said worked for her when she got a bad cough.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Wine-a...cktail-History

Like the cat, it's coming back. Where I grew up rye referred to any
blended whiskey. When I first ran into Old Overholt pure rye whiskey in
the wilds of Minnesota I recall a chunk of rock candy would have been an
improvement.

I had a sore throat recently and we had some peppermint schnapps in the
cupboard that'd been there a long time. Hubby recommended a half shot
at bedtime so it'd coat my throat, so I tried it on night 1 and woke up
the next morning with only a little bit of a sore throat. Tried it on
night 2 and woke up the next morning with no sore throat at all. I
guess it just kills anything there. Saved me a trip to the store for
some OTC med.

--
Maggie

Oren[_2_] November 9th 15 07:07 PM

On Mon, 9 Nov 2015 12:08:09 -0600, Muggles wrote:

I had a sore throat recently and we had some peppermint schnapps in the
cupboard that'd been there a long time. Hubby recommended a half shot
at bedtime so it'd coat my throat, so I tried it on night 1 and woke up
the next morning with only a little bit of a sore throat. Tried it on
night 2 and woke up the next morning with no sore throat at all. I
guess it just kills anything there. Saved me a trip to the store for
some OTC med.

The Hot Toddy I mentioned above by mom used honey, lime and whiskey.
The honey stuck to the throat, lime/lemon was vitamin C and the
whiskey made you not care much :) The HT will break a fever if you get
a serious cold, nasal congestion with headache or swollen tonsils.

Muggles November 9th 15 07:13 PM

On 11/9/2015 1:07 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 9 Nov 2015 12:08:09 -0600, Muggles wrote:

I had a sore throat recently and we had some peppermint schnapps in the
cupboard that'd been there a long time. Hubby recommended a half shot
at bedtime so it'd coat my throat, so I tried it on night 1 and woke up
the next morning with only a little bit of a sore throat. Tried it on
night 2 and woke up the next morning with no sore throat at all. I
guess it just kills anything there. Saved me a trip to the store for
some OTC med.

The Hot Toddy I mentioned above by mom used honey, lime and whiskey.
The honey stuck to the throat, lime/lemon was vitamin C and the
whiskey made you not care much :) The HT will break a fever if you get
a serious cold, nasal congestion with headache or swollen tonsils.

hmmm I'll try adding the honey and lemon next time. It sure would make
it more palatable! I don't really like strong liquor like that shnapps!

--
Maggie

Kurt V. Ullman November 9th 15 07:17 PM

On 11/9/15 2:07 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 9 Nov 2015 12:08:09 -0600, Muggles wrote:

I had a sore throat recently and we had some peppermint schnapps in the
cupboard that'd been there a long time. Hubby recommended a half shot
at bedtime so it'd coat my throat, so I tried it on night 1 and woke up
the next morning with only a little bit of a sore throat. Tried it on
night 2 and woke up the next morning with no sore throat at all. I
guess it just kills anything there. Saved me a trip to the store for
some OTC med.

The Hot Toddy I mentioned above by mom used honey, lime and whiskey.
The honey stuck to the throat, lime/lemon was vitamin C and the
whiskey made you not care much :) The HT will break a fever if you get
a serious cold, nasal congestion with headache or swollen tonsils.

They want to extend the long time theory of in loco parentis, (Latin
for "in the place of a parent" refers to the legal responsibility of a
person or organization to take on some of the functions and
responsibilities of the parent) to whatever is Latin for INSTEAD of the
parents.

Oren[_2_] November 9th 15 07:39 PM

On Mon, 9 Nov 2015 13:13:33 -0600, Muggles wrote:

On 11/9/2015 1:07 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

Warm the concoction (softens honey) - mixes easy and goes down easy.

Nothing worse than having peppermint shnapps. (long story as a teen)
Barf! :)

Oren[_2_] November 9th 15 09:05 PM

White Trash Mother Of The Year?

On Mon, 9 Nov 2015 13:11:58 -0600, Muggles wrote:

If one of my kids threatened to call the cops on me for spanking them,
I'd tell them to get their bags packed.

I had "the talk" with each one at some point in time when they were
misbehaving, and I told them all "Tell me NOW if you want to grow up to
be a drug dealer, hateful, mean, nasty,{fill in the blank with similar
adjectives} excuse of an adult, and I won't waste my time investing in
raising you to be a decent adult. I'll quit trying right now, and you
can move out as soon as you get a job slinging burgers." They knew I
meant it, too. When I told each one that, they looked at me like I'd
lost my mind until they realized I was dead serious. All 3 chose to let
me raise them, anyway!

You go girl!

Stormin Mormon[_10_] November 9th 15 09:15 PM

On 11/9/2015 1:05 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 11/7/2015 8:24 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
One time, I had great results with Kanka,
comes in a small glass bottle with
applicator. Leaves a long lasting waxy
benzocaine film, which worked well.

Don't think I've heard of Kanka before. If it worked, the baby was
happy, I'm sure!

I assure you, the baby was very pleased for
the relief. Lasted an hour or so, long enough
to get some work done, and drive places.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Muggles November 9th 15 11:51 PM

On 11/9/2015 1:07 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

LOLOL! It reminds me of NyQuil. I was desperate, and it worked, but
next time I'll try whiskey and honey.

--
Maggie

Muggles November 9th 15 11:56 PM

On 11/9/2015 3:05 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 9 Nov 2015 13:11:58 -0600, Muggles wrote:

If one of my kids threatened to call the cops on me for spanking them,
I'd tell them to get their bags packed.

I had "the talk" with each one at some point in time when they were
misbehaving, and I told them all "Tell me NOW if you want to grow up to
be a drug dealer, hateful, mean, nasty,{fill in the blank with similar
adjectives} excuse of an adult, and I won't waste my time investing in
raising you to be a decent adult. I'll quit trying right now, and you
can move out as soon as you get a job slinging burgers." They knew I
meant it, too. When I told each one that, they looked at me like I'd
lost my mind until they realized I was dead serious. All 3 chose to let
me raise them, anyway!

You go girl!

haha! I should have added "spit" to the end of my last post. Thank God
they are all raised now, although occasionally, I'd like to ...
interfere {*cough*} in some of their adult decisions. BUT, I manage to
not say anything to them MOST of the time.

--
Maggie

Muggles November 9th 15 11:58 PM

On 11/9/2015 3:15 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/9/2015 1:05 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 11/7/2015 8:24 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
One time, I had great results with Kanka,
comes in a small glass bottle with
applicator. Leaves a long lasting waxy
benzocaine film, which worked well.

Don't think I've heard of Kanka before. If it worked, the baby was
happy, I'm sure!

I assure you, the baby was very pleased for
the relief. Lasted an hour or so, long enough
to get some work done, and drive places.

That's the goal! :)

--
Maggie

Stormin Mormon[_10_] November 10th 15 12:04 AM

On 11/9/2015 6:58 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 11/9/2015 3:15 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
One time, I had great results with Kanka,
comes in a small glass bottle with
applicator. Leaves a long lasting waxy
benzocaine film, which worked well.

Don't think I've heard of Kanka before. If it worked, the baby was
happy, I'm sure!

I assure you, the baby was very pleased for
the relief. Lasted an hour or so, long enough
to get some work done, and drive places.

That's the goal! :)

Normalcy returns when baby teeth are
comfortable.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

rbowman November 10th 15 03:19 AM

On 11/09/2015 11:08 AM, Muggles wrote:
I had a sore throat recently and we had some peppermint schnapps in the
cupboard that'd been there a long time. Hubby recommended a half shot
at bedtime so it'd coat my throat, so I tried it on night 1 and woke up
the next morning with only a little bit of a sore throat. Tried it on
night 2 and woke up the next morning with no sore throat at all. I
guess it just kills anything there. Saved me a trip to the store for
some OTC med.

I had some version of the plague, ebola, or something and a friend said
his old Czech grandmother swore by blackberry brandy. I might have
overdone it a bit but projectile vomiting followed. I did feel a little
better before that point though.

rbowman November 10th 15 03:24 AM

On 11/09/2015 12:39 PM, Oren wrote:
Nothing worse than having peppermint shnapps. (long story as a teen)

along with straight rye, the other local beverage I was introduced to in
Minnesota was something they called a Snowshoe, a shot of whiskey and a
shot of peppermint schnapps. A couple of those and you didn't mind much
going out to your car at 23 below.

rbowman November 10th 15 03:29 AM

On 11/09/2015 12:11 PM, Muggles wrote:
If one of my kids threatened to call the cops on me for spanking them,
I'd tell them to get their bags packed.

It works both ways. I was observing at a 911 call center one evening
when some woman called in and wanted them to send the cops to sort her
kid out. I'd never make it as a dispatcher. About 25% of the calls they
fielded while I was there were legitimate emergencies.

Muggles November 10th 15 05:04 AM

On 11/9/2015 9:29 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 11/09/2015 12:11 PM, Muggles wrote:
If one of my kids threatened to call the cops on me for spanking them,
I'd tell them to get their bags packed.

It works both ways. I was observing at a 911 call center one evening
when some woman called in and wanted them to send the cops to sort her
kid out. I'd never make it as a dispatcher. About 25% of the calls they
fielded while I was there were legitimate emergencies.

Kids can be a real pain, so you have to start training them right out of
the womb!

--
Maggie

Uncle Monster[_2_] November 10th 15 06:29 AM

On Monday, November 9, 2015 at 11:04:16 PM UTC-6, Muggles wrote:
On 11/9/2015 9:29 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 11/09/2015 12:11 PM, Muggles wrote:
If one of my kids threatened to call the cops on me for spanking them,
I'd tell them to get their bags packed.

It works both ways. I was observing at a 911 call center one evening
when some woman called in and wanted them to send the cops to sort her
kid out. I'd never make it as a dispatcher. About 25% of the calls they
fielded while I was there were legitimate emergencies.

Kids can be a real pain, so you have to start training them right out of
the womb!
--
Maggie

Children should be eaten not beaten because beating damages the meat. It could also break the toes which is the crunchy part. Yum.... ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Munching Monster