DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Do they make Florescent Tubes (bulbs) longer than 8 foot? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/386270-do-they-make-florescent-tubes-bulbs-longer-than-8-foot.html)

[email protected] October 21st 15 07:16 AM

Do they make Florescent Tubes (bulbs) longer than 8 foot?

Do they make Florescent Tubes (bulbs) longer than 8 foot?

The 8 footers are fairly common in commercial buildings, but I've never
seen any longer than that.

Actually, I dont think I'd want to handle any longer than 8'. Even the 8
footers are clumbsy and easily broken, not to mention difficult to
install without a second person on the opposite end.

micky October 21st 15 07:49 AM

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 01:16:10 -0500, wrote:

Do they make Florescent Tubes (bulbs) longer than 8 foot?

The 8 footers are fairly common in commercial buildings, but I've never
seen any longer than that.

Actually, I dont think I'd want to handle any longer than 8'. Even the 8
footers are clumbsy and easily broken, not to mention difficult to
install without a second person on the opposite end.

This past summer, the citizens of Escubria, Italy made a 106-foot
fluorescent bulb. It was certified by so-and-so's book of records.

It required a special vacuum chamber with openings at both ends, so
that the long bulb could be put in from one end and pushed all the way
through.

Meanie[_4_] October 21st 15 10:59 AM

On 10/21/2015 2:16 AM, wrote:
Do they make Florescent Tubes (bulbs) longer than 8 foot?

The 8 footers are fairly common in commercial buildings, but I've never
seen any longer than that.

Actually, I dont think I'd want to handle any longer than 8'. Even the 8
footers are clumbsy and easily broken, not to mention difficult to
install without a second person on the opposite end.

Yes they do. They have them in 9(F108), 10(F120) and I believe 11 feet
but they are T12 single pin. I'm uncertain if they make them in T8 at
those lengths.

They are not difficult to install and one person can do so.

TimR[_2_] October 21st 15 01:33 PM

On Wednesday, October 21, 2015 at 5:59:32 AM UTC-4, SBH wrote:
On 10/21/2015 2:16 AM, wrote:
Do they make Florescent Tubes (bulbs) longer than 8 foot?

The 8 footers are fairly common in commercial buildings, but I've never
seen any longer than that.

Actually, I dont think I'd want to handle any longer than 8'. Even the 8
footers are clumbsy and easily broken, not to mention difficult to
install without a second person on the opposite end.

Yes they do. They have them in 9(F108), 10(F120) and I believe 11 feet
but they are T12 single pin. I'm uncertain if they make them in T8 at
those lengths.

They are not difficult to install and one person can do so.

Single pin ends seem dead easy to me, compared to doubles.

Bob_Villa October 21st 15 01:54 PM

On Wednesday, October 21, 2015 at 1:49:49 AM UTC-5, Micky wrote:

It required a special vacuum chamber with openings at both ends, so
that the long bulb could be put in from one end and pushed all the way
through.

....yeah, right! ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)•*ˆ©•®

philo October 21st 15 02:11 PM

On 10/21/2015 01:49 AM, Micky wrote:
On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 01:16:10 -0500, wrote:

Do they make Florescent Tubes (bulbs) longer than 8 foot?

The 8 footers are fairly common in commercial buildings, but I've never
seen any longer than that.

Actually, I dont think I'd want to handle any longer than 8'. Even the 8
footers are clumbsy and easily broken, not to mention difficult to
install without a second person on the opposite end.

This past summer, the citizens of Escubria, Italy made a 106-foot
fluorescent bulb. It was certified by so-and-so's book of records.

It required a special vacuum chamber with openings at both ends, so
that the long bulb could be put in from one end and pushed all the way
through.

Great, can I order on on-line and have it shipped UPS?

Uncle Monster[_2_] October 22nd 15 03:03 AM

On Wednesday, October 21, 2015 at 4:59:32 AM UTC-5, SBH wrote:
On 10/21/2015 2:16 AM, wrote:
Do they make Florescent Tubes (bulbs) longer than 8 foot?

The 8 footers are fairly common in commercial buildings, but I've never
seen any longer than that.

Actually, I dont think I'd want to handle any longer than 8'. Even the 8
footers are clumbsy and easily broken, not to mention difficult to
install without a second person on the opposite end.

Yes they do. They have them in 9(F108), 10(F120) and I believe 11 feet
but they are T12 single pin. I'm uncertain if they make them in T8 at
those lengths.

They are not difficult to install and one person can do so.

Are those HO sign lamps? I've never dealt with any flourescent bulbs longer than 8 feet. With the advent of LED lamps, I have a feeling that length no longer matters. (I'm resisting writing a crude joke) ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Crude Monster