DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hand tools (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/386214-hand-tools.html)

Don Y[_3_] October 20th 15 05:45 AM

Hand tools

With the advent of Harbor Fright, it seems like expectations
in hand tool quality has gone into the toilet. Aside from the
freebies (which are, now, no longer free), I think I've purchased a
utility knife, some blades for it and some tools to repair a damaged
car door (i.e., chunks of shaped metal).

Tonight, I was in need of a tap wrench (Al is just too damn soft to
try to tap "by hand"). A friend suggested buying a T&D set from
HF -- which had me struggling to contain my laughter (the taps and
die don't appear to be properly hardened -- nor the threads "clean"!)

The idea of buying a cheap set just to salvage the T&D wrenches
might make sense -- but, even their cheapest set is more expensive than
buying "better" parts a la carte.

[As my friend loaned me a tap wrench, my immediate need has been
satisfied]

This got me to thinking what other tools I *might* (not *will*!)
consider buying from HF. I.e., the "possible buy" list is considerably
shorter than the "wouldn't buy" list!

[We'd looked at a drywall lift and I cringed thinking *that* would
be holding the sheetrock while I worked BENEATH it!]

Utility knife (disappointed that the blade was retractable; the
quality of a non-retractable one would probably have been better!)
was small expense and largely disposable. Blades weren't particularly
sharp *nor* hard but, again, disposable. Auto body tools are little
more than blocks of steel so kinda hard to go wrong, there.

OTOH, I wouldn't put much faith in their power tools -- at least,
not as "investments" (note that I don't consider a YEAR to be
an "investment"; most of my hand tools are as old or older than I!)

So, the question is, what tools to avoid, consider and criteria
used in making those decisions? And criteria to use in "broad brush"
dismissals of whole categories of tools?

[E.g., the drywall lift we considered as a "one time use" so
didn't mind the "loss" if it broke. OTOH, I wasn't keen on
it breaking while I was *under* it! Hence the reason to avoid
it.]

Of course, no right or wrong answers, here. I've inherited a
fair number of HF discards (jack stands, torque wrenches, etc.)
but don't think of them as "cherished" tools...

rbowman[_2_] October 20th 15 05:58 AM

Hand tools

On 10/19/2015 10:45 PM, Don Y wrote:
So, the question is, what tools to avoid, consider and criteria
used in making those decisions? And criteria to use in "broad brush"
dismissals of whole categories of tools?

I have some of their sockets and open wrenches that aren't too bad.
They're in an unsecured tool tube on the bike so if they're ripped off I
haven't lost much.

A floor jack spit the lift pad at me the first time I used it. After
replacing the rivet it's serviceable. I have an electric impact driver
that works. I don't use it very often but for the price, around $50
iirc, it was worth it.

A set of number drills works okay for soft material. C-clamps are hard
to screw up. A chain breaker did its job. A tubing flaring tool was
utter crap.

Fortunately I can walk to HF during lunch hour and see the stuff first
hand. It's too hit or miss otherwise.

Muggles October 20th 15 06:00 AM

Hand tools

On 10/19/2015 11:58 PM, rbowman wrote:
[...]

I bought a small chipper shredder there and so far it works fine.

--
Maggie

micky October 20th 15 08:30 AM

Hand tools

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 00:00:51 -0500, Muggles wrote:

[...]

Shredder? Is this for paper?

Chipper? You're quite a gal. I don't know anyone who owns his own
one of those.

Leroy Brown October 20th 15 10:12 AM

Hand tools

On 10/20/2015 12:45 AM, Don Y wrote:
With the advent of Harbor Fright, it seems like expectations
in hand tool quality has gone into the toilet. Aside from the
freebies (which are, now, no longer free), I think I've purchased a
utility knife, some blades for it and some tools to repair a damaged
car door (i.e., chunks of shaped metal).

I avoid McHarborFreight.

mscdirect.com is my go-to (at work and home). They sell quality stuff at reasonable prices.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] October 20th 15 12:24 PM

Hand tools from Harbor Freight

On 10/20/2015 12:45 AM, Don Y wrote:

So, the question is, what tools to avoid, consider and criteria
used in making those decisions? And criteria to use in "broad brush"
dismissals of whole categories of tools?

Their combination wrenches are okay. As with socket
wrenches. Last night I totally needed a 1/4 drive
deep socket in 10 MM to change a thermostat on an
engine. Ought have had a set from HF. Sigh. well,
I did have one in 3/8 drive, ought have tried that
one. Got the job done, that's what counts.

About 15 years ago, I did buy a set of Pittsburgh
flare nut wrenches, which were very sloppy and rounded
off the nuts.

Good luck with a cordless drill from about 15 years
ago, still in use. OK results with impact screw driver
that runs on 18 volt nicad packs. OK use of a 3/8 VSR
drill that plugs in. Light loads only, I ground up one,
drilling for lockset holes 2 1/8 hole saw.

Plug in impact 1/2 inch wrench is okay. One switch
position quit, now it only does remove. No big worry,
I can put lug nuts on by hand.

VOM seem to work okay, and also ammeter.

Flashlight with 3 D cells and 95 LED was also okay.
Not super duper bright, but okay.

Flashlight with 3 D cells, and 15 LED was and is
fun, switch goes from 1 to 5 to 15 LED. Very short
range light, not for spotting racoons in trees.

Free tape measures, screw drivers, scissors, and
flash lights actually good enough quality to use.
I spray paint the screw driver handles so they
don't look like everyone else's.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Mayayana October 20th 15 02:40 PM

Hand tools

We don;t have Harbor Freight where I live.
We do have Costco, BJs Whollesale club,
Ocean State Job Lot....

My rule of thumb is never buy any tool
made of metal from a discounter. :) Low
quality metal makes sockets, screwdrivers,
pliers and power tools nearly useless. The
money saved ends up being money wasted.
But if you see a good deal on one of those
rubber bottle openers...

dpb October 20th 15 03:09 PM

Hand tools

On 10/19/2015 11:45 PM, Don Y wrote:

This got me to thinking what other tools I *might* (not *will*!)
consider buying from HF. I.e., the "possible buy" list is considerably
shorter than the "wouldn't buy" list!

The polished Pittsburgh wrench sets are good buy for any but the hardest
of uses...I find them easily hard enough jaws don't spread without
excessive force like using a cheater on one and they have a nice
feel...and, you've not lost a fortune if they're carried to field on
farm, say, and manage to lose one or two in the sand...

A professional mechanic in a clean shop may well elect SnapOn or MAC,
surely...

DerbyDad03 October 20th 15 03:51 PM

Hand tools

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 12:45:03 AM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:
[...]

Even though this subject has been discussed as many times as there are
sources for HF coupons, I'll jump in.

I just bought a 25 inch, 1/2 in. drive Breaker Bar (Item #67933) for $9.59
by using the 20% coupon on top of the sale price of $11.99.

I then went home and replaced the rotors and pads on my Ody. That breaker
bar paid for itself multiple times by busting loose the caliper bracket
bolts with next to no effort. My old method was a piece of pipe over the
ratchet handle which worked fine, but having a dedicated breaker bar, for
less than $10 is a sweet deal. Less wear and tear on the ratchet handle too.

If I need to, I could slip the pipe over the breaker bar and gain another 2
feet. If I ever need to do that, it better be one strong bolt!

notbob October 20th 15 04:59 PM

Hand tools

On 2015-10-20, dpb wrote:

A professional mechanic in a clean shop may well elect SnapOn or MAC,
surely...

That doesn't mean they are of good quality.

I've been buying and using hand/pwr tools for decades. Despite their
rep, MAC and Snap-On make very few of their own tools. Last time I
looked, Snap-On's measuring tapes were Lufkin and the Chinese-made
plunger oil can I bought from Snap-On broke during the first stroke on
the plunger.

I've got a buddy bringing me a HF heat gun. I've had a few tools from
HF. I won't buy anything from them if it requires good steel, like
HSS drill bits.

nb

Don Y[_3_] October 20th 15 05:36 PM

Hand tools

On 10/19/2015 9:58 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 10/19/2015 10:45 PM, Don Y wrote:
So, the question is, what tools to avoid, consider and criteria
used in making those decisions? And criteria to use in "broad brush"
dismissals of whole categories of tools?

I have some of their sockets and open wrenches that aren't too bad. They're in
an unsecured tool tube on the bike so if they're ripped off I haven't lost much.

I have a set of open/box wrenches from KMart from ~40 years back that
I use similarly (disposable/"losable"). Ditto for sockets. My better
tools stay in the house.

A floor jack spit the lift pad at me the first time I used it. After replacing
the rivet it's serviceable.

Hmmmm... I will have to note that. The guy who gave me the jack stands also
gave me a (tiny) floor jack (not a bottle jack). As with most HF things,
I'm not keen on putting my body *under* something that it must support!

I have an electric impact driver that works. I
don't use it very often but for the price, around $50 iirc, it was worth it.

A neighbor gifted a hammer drill which has paid for itself (at $0)
many many times over! I think I've probably drilled more holes
in cement/concrete than anyone I know! (literally more than 100
at ~1" through footers, into the slab, block walls, etc.)

A set of number drills works okay for soft material. C-clamps are hard to screw

I inherited a C clamp that had a lot of slop in the screw -- so, over the
width of the throat, you could end up with the screw NOT lining up with
its opposing member!

up. A chain breaker did its job. A tubing flaring tool was utter crap.

Fortunately I can walk to HF during lunch hour and see the stuff first hand.
It's too hit or miss otherwise.

It looks like you're using the same sort of criteria that I've adopted:
things with no or few/coarse moving parts. Or, low usage/disposable.

Don Y[_3_] October 20th 15 06:53 PM

Hand tools

On 2015-10-20, dpb wrote:

A professional mechanic in a clean shop may well elect SnapOn or MAC,
surely...

That doesn't mean they are of good quality.

I've been buying and using hand/pwr tools for decades. Despite their
rep, MAC and Snap-On make very few of their own tools.

That's been the case for a VERY long time. I worked at a large
hand tool manufacturer ~30 years ago "testing" our tools against
competitors. So, you got to see lots of tools side by side
(and under the microscope) to realize there weren't as many
"manufacturers" as their were "name brands". I'm sure that's
only worse, nowadays.

[Reminds me of shopping in the garment district as a kid -- buying
"name brand", "high end" fashions. When you'd inquire as to the
label, they'd calmly ask you which one you'd LIKE it to be
(and open a little case of assorted lables that they would gladly
sew in for you)]

Last time I
looked, Snap-On's measuring tapes were Lufkin and the Chinese-made
plunger oil can I bought from Snap-On broke during the first stroke on
the plunger.

I've got a buddy bringing me a HF heat gun. I've had a few tools from
HF. I won't buy anything from them if it requires good steel, like
HSS drill bits.

That was my thinking the T&D set. Even a casual inspection suggested
it was of poor quality (e.g., the threads weren't even cut clean!).

OTOH, when I've had to drill into the steel lintels here (e.g., to hang
window blinds), I have no qualms about buying a cheap bit and sharpening it
*repeatedly* to get the required holes in place.

Heat gun I would be leary of the wire gauge in the cord and internals
esp given that most tend to be high wattage (save a few pennies on a strand
or two of copper wire...)

Bob_Villa October 20th 15 06:54 PM

Hand tools

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 9:51:26 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

My old method was a piece of pipe over the
ratchet handle which worked fine...

I've used a pipe over a 1/2" breaker bar, but a ratchet...WTF! You have no idea of the pressure you're exerting on the gear, pawl, and stud of that ratchet! You should have your amateur mechanics license taken away!

Oren[_2_] October 20th 15 06:56 PM

Hand tools

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 07:51:21 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Even though this subject has been discussed as many times as there are
sources for HF coupons, I'll jump in.

I just bought a 25 inch, 1/2 in. drive Breaker Bar (Item #67933) for $9.59
by using the 20% coupon on top of the sale price of $11.99.

I then went home and replaced the rotors and pads on my Ody. That breaker
bar paid for itself multiple times by busting loose the caliper bracket
bolts with next to no effort. My old method was a piece of pipe over the
ratchet handle which worked fine, but having a dedicated breaker bar, for
less than $10 is a sweet deal. Less wear and tear on the ratchet handle too.

If I need to, I could slip the pipe over the breaker bar and gain another 2
feet. If I ever need to do that, it better be one strong bolt!

I picked up a 10 Piece Bearing Race and Seal Driver Set at HF. Worked
very well, did they job.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-bearing-race-and-seal-driver-set-95853.html

- Hook and Pic set

- Spring loaded punch

- Shrink wrap tubes in various sizes.

Seldom need tools as I have plenty of quality tools :)

notbob October 20th 15 07:23 PM

Hand tools

On 2015-10-20, Don Y wrote:

Heat gun I would be leary of the wire gauge in the cord and internals
esp given that most tend to be high wattage (save a few pennies on a strand
or two of copper wire...)

I see a savings of over $70 on buying a $90 Master Appliance heat
gun. For that big o' savings, I'll chance it. ;)

nb

DerbyDad03 October 20th 15 07:31 PM

Hand tools

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 1:54:57 PM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:
On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 9:51:26 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

My old method was a piece of pipe over the
ratchet handle which worked fine...

I've used a pipe over a 1/2" breaker bar, but a ratchet...WTF! You have no idea of the pressure you're exerting on the gear, pawl, and stud of that ratchet!

Nor did I care. If it broke (which it never did) I simply would have
replaced it. I've used the pipe of fixed head and flexible head ratchets,
the same handles I've been using for years. Never broke a single one.

You should have your amateur mechanics license taken away!

I'm working totally unlicensed. Please don't report me to RHP. (Ratchet
Handle Police)

DerbyDad03 October 20th 15 07:38 PM

Hand tools

wrote:

[...]

Vinyl & Nitrile gloves, zip ties, moving blankets (large and small),
"anti stress" pads, (they are great for so many more things than just
standing or kneeling on), dollies, etc.

HF carries all sorts of inexpensive, yet handy (and of good enough quality)
items that it doesn't make sense not to shop there. Yes, they carry some
pure crap, but that doesn't mean it's all crap.

How many more times do you think we'll re-hash this subject?

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] October 20th 15 07:42 PM

Hand tools

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 3:30:49 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:
On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 00:00:51 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I bought a small chipper shredder there and so far it works fine.

Shredder? Is this for paper?

Chipper? You're quite a gal. I don't know anyone who owns his own
one of those.

We have one, too. Sadly, my husband's shoulder isn't up to the task
of feeding in the brush anymore. I'd like to sell it, but he's
paranoid (probably rightly so) about craigslist and similar venues.

Cindy Hamilton

Oren[_2_] October 20th 15 07:52 PM

Hand tools

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 11:38:31 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

- Hook and Pic set

- Spring loaded punch

- Shrink wrap tubes in various sizes.

Seldom need tools as I have plenty of quality tools :)

Vinyl & Nitrile gloves, zip ties, moving blankets (large and small),
"anti stress" pads, (they are great for so many more things than just
standing or kneeling on), dollies, etc.

HF carries all sorts of inexpensive, yet handy (and of good enough quality)
items that it doesn't make sense not to shop there. Yes, they carry some
pure crap, but that doesn't mean it's all crap.

Correct.

How many more times do you think we'll re-hash this subject?

....or duct tape and WD-40?

Stormin Mormon[_10_] October 20th 15 08:14 PM

Hand tools from HF for vehicle repair

On 10/20/2015 2:38 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
HF carries all sorts of inexpensive, yet handy (and of good enough quality)
items that it doesn't make sense not to shop there. Yes, they carry some
pure crap, but that doesn't mean it's all crap.

How many more times do you think we'll re-hash this subject?

Much like the thread on how to change a light bulb?

Just got a different vehicle, and using the HF tools
to fix all the problems the last guy neglected. And
there are plenty, to be sure.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Stormin Mormon[_10_] October 20th 15 08:14 PM

Hand tools

On 10/20/2015 2:52 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 11:38:31 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
How many more times do you think we'll re-hash this subject?

...or duct tape and WD-40?

Everyone knows WD is a lubricant, that's settled.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

[email protected] October 20th 15 08:18 PM

Hand tools

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 05:12:49 -0400, Leroy Brown
wrote:

I avoid McHarborFreight.

Same here. I bought a few things from them years ago, and I was not
pleased with anything. Most of the stuff went in the garbage in less
than a year. I only do one thing when I see a HF store. I keep driving!

DerbyDad03 October 20th 15 08:26 PM

Hand tools

wrote:

I avoid McHarborFreight.

Same here. I bought a few things from them years ago, and I was not
pleased with anything. Most of the stuff went in the garbage in less
than a year. I only do one thing when I see a HF store. I keep driving!

No problem...keeps the line down for the rest of us.

Oren[_2_] October 20th 15 08:39 PM

Hand tools

wrote:

I avoid McHarborFreight.

Same here. I bought a few things from them years ago, and I was not
pleased with anything. Most of the stuff went in the garbage in less
than a year. I only do one thing when I see a HF store. I keep driving!

No problem...keeps the line down for the rest of us.

....and we can share coupons

Don Y[_3_] October 20th 15 08:43 PM

Hand tools

On 10/20/2015 2:12 AM, Leroy Brown wrote:
On 10/20/2015 12:45 AM, Don Y wrote:
With the advent of Harbor Fright, it seems like expectations
in hand tool quality has gone into the toilet. Aside from the
freebies (which are, now, no longer free), I think I've purchased a
utility knife, some blades for it and some tools to repair a damaged
car door (i.e., chunks of shaped metal).

I avoid McHarborFreight.

mscdirect.com is my go-to (at work and home). They sell quality stuff at
reasonable prices.

When freebies were truly free, I would often stop in and pick up
a spare (disposable) flashlight or (disposable) taperule or
(disposable) VOM.

I've frequently taken advantage of the screwdrivers, taperules and
scissors to supply various nonprofits with which I've been affiliated.

Now that "free with any purchase", there is less incentive to do so
(as there's very little that HF sells that I tend to be interested in)

DerbyDad03 October 20th 15 08:45 PM

Hand tools

wrote:

I avoid McHarborFreight.

Same here. I bought a few things from them years ago, and I was not
pleased with anything. Most of the stuff went in the garbage in less
than a year. I only do one thing when I see a HF store. I keep driving!

No problem...keeps the line down for the rest of us.

...and we can share coupons

Did you see my thread about HF 20% off smartphone coupons? If not...

Perhaps this has been covered before, but HF (at least the one near me)
will accept a smartphone image of a current 20% off coupon. They will
simply enter the numbers from the image in the computer and the discount
will be applied.

You get the discount and you retain the coupon to use again and again
until it expires.

e.g. I used this image at the same store twice, once on Saturday and
again on Sunday.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/attachm...9&d=1439669639

I know that it says "Original Coupon Must be Presented", but I guess their
definition of "original" is pretty broad based. ;-)

Don Y[_3_] October 20th 15 08:48 PM

Hand tools

On 10/20/2015 11:42 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 3:30:49 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:
On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 00:00:51 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I bought a small chipper shredder there and so far it works fine.

Shredder? Is this for paper?

Chipper? You're quite a gal. I don't know anyone who owns his own
one of those.

We have one, too. Sadly, my husband's shoulder isn't up to the task
of feeding in the brush anymore. I'd like to sell it, but he's
paranoid (probably rightly so) about craigslist and similar venues.

Use a disposable (i.e., not one that you want to KEEP) email account
for selling on CL. Don't bring them to your house (may not be possible
depending on the item) but, instead, arrange to meet somewhere else,
"public"). Insist on cash. Have a friend with you during the transaction.

Don't respond to "is it still available" or "call me" emails from potential
buyers. Instead, list it with the phrase "I will remove this post when
the article is no longer available". (often the "is it available"
messages are just attempts by folks to capture YOUR email address; dispose
of the email account that you used once the sale is complete)

You might also find a local group that can benefit from having it
(after verifying that they won't simply turn your donation into cash
with a quick sale). E.g., here, there are groups of volunteers who
routinely clean and maintain the various trails around town -- on
their own dime.

DerbyDad03 October 20th 15 09:10 PM

Hand tools

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 3:48:03 PM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:
On 10/20/2015 11:42 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 3:30:49 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:
On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 00:00:51 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I bought a small chipper shredder there and so far it works fine.

Shredder? Is this for paper?

Chipper? You're quite a gal. I don't know anyone who owns his own
one of those.

We have one, too. Sadly, my husband's shoulder isn't up to the task
of feeding in the brush anymore. I'd like to sell it, but he's
paranoid (probably rightly so) about craigslist and similar venues.

Use a disposable (i.e., not one that you want to KEEP) email account
for selling on CL. Don't bring them to your house (may not be possible
depending on the item) but, instead, arrange to meet somewhere else,
"public"). Insist on cash. Have a friend with you during the transaction.

Craigslist uses a 2-way mail relay, which hides the actual email addresses
used during an email conversation.

However, anything that is in the body of the email, as well as the "real
name" field is passed to the recipient. For example, if you have any
personal information in your signature, such as a phone number or email
address, obviously that is going to be passed to the recipient.

I have a couple of email addresses that I use for website registrations,
others that I use for Craigslist, eBay, etc. I get spam on the
"registration" email addresses, but the Craigslist and eBay ones have
stayed clean for years. None of those email addresses have any personally
identifiable information, not even my real name.

Oren[_2_] October 20th 15 09:18 PM

Hand tools

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 11:42:04 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 3:30:49 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:
On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 00:00:51 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I bought a small chipper shredder there and so far it works fine.

Shredder? Is this for paper?

Chipper? You're quite a gal. I don't know anyone who owns his own
one of those.

We have one, too. Sadly, my husband's shoulder isn't up to the task
of feeding in the brush anymore. I'd like to sell it, but he's
paranoid (probably rightly so) about craigslist and similar venues.

Cindy Hamilton

Meet in public. Preferably at a local police station with
video/cameras. I never use any e-mail, give my number so when a
person calls I set my conditions -- when and where and pack a gun :)

Never sell diamonds or such on CL. You can set yourself up for a home
invasion. Buying a car? Hide the cash and meet at a police station.

An story I heard the other day mentions "safe zones" dealing with CL
transactions. Signs are posted at police stations.

Sample:

_Craigslist safe zone created by police _

http://www.examiner.com/article/craigslist-safe-zone-created-by-police

DerbyDad03 October 20th 15 09:37 PM

Hand tools

wrote:

[...]

My son answered a CL ad to buy a GoPro. At the female sellers request, he
agreed to meet her at a specific end of a strip mall parking lot on a busy
road. She said she would be driving a (let's say) blue Toyota.

My son pulls into the parking lot, walks over to the female driver sitting
in the blue Toyota and says "Hi!" She looks at him kind of funny/nervous
like and asks him what he wants. He says he is there to buy the camera.
Looking even more confused she starts to say something when my son sees a
female driver in a blue Toyota pull into the spot next to the lady he is
talking to. :-)

He politely apologized and walked over to the next car to complete the
transaction.

Oren[_2_] October 20th 15 09:37 PM

Hand tools

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 12:45:54 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

No problem...keeps the line down for the rest of us.

...and we can share coupons

Did you see my thread about HF 20% off smartphone coupons? If not...

Perhaps this has been covered before, but HF (at least the one near me)
will accept a smartphone image of a current 20% off coupon. They will
simply enter the numbers from the image in the computer and the discount
will be applied.

You get the discount and you retain the coupon to use again and again
until it expires.

e.g. I used this image at the same store twice, once on Saturday and
again on Sunday.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/attachm...9&d=1439669639

I know that it says "Original Coupon Must be Presented", but I guess their
definition of "original" is pretty broad based. ;-)

I did see your post. No smartphone here yet. Mine is a dumb phone,
but I may just get my first smart one soon.

We could exchange coupons :)

Oren[_2_] October 20th 15 10:00 PM

Hand tools

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 13:37:03 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

_Craigslist safe zone created by police _

http://www.examiner.com/article/craigslist-safe-zone-created-by-police

My son answered a CL ad to buy a GoPro. At the female sellers request, he
agreed to meet her at a specific end of a strip mall parking lot on a busy
road. She said she would be driving a (let's say) blue Toyota.

My son pulls into the parking lot, walks over to the female driver sitting
in the blue Toyota and says "Hi!" She looks at him kind of funny/nervous
like and asks him what he wants. He says he is there to buy the camera.
Looking even more confused she starts to say something when my son sees a
female driver in a blue Toyota pull into the spot next to the lady he is
talking to. :-)

He politely apologized and walked over to the next car to complete the
transaction.

I was apologetic couple weeks ago. Lost a friends phone number, drove
to the area. Off by one street as the house looked very similar.
Knocked, "no, you have the wrong address."

One street over made the difference... "hey, it's Oren."

Stormin Mormon[_10_] October 20th 15 10:49 PM

Hand tools

On 10/20/2015 4:37 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

My son answered a CL ad to buy a GoPro. At the female sellers request, he
agreed to meet her at a specific end of a strip mall parking lot on a busy
road. She said she would be driving a (let's say) blue Toyota.

My son pulls into the parking lot, walks over to the female driver sitting
in the blue Toyota and says "Hi!" She looks at him kind of funny/nervous
like and asks him what he wants. He says he is there to buy the camera.
Looking even more confused she starts to say something when my son sees a
female driver in a blue Toyota pull into the spot next to the lady he is
talking to. :-)

He politely apologized and walked over to the next car to complete the
transaction.

I can well imagine the confusion. What
are the odds? Not much.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

[email protected] October 20th 15 11:20 PM

Hand tools

Our local Naperville Illinois police department encourages folks to use its parking lot for transactions.

Vic Smith October 20th 15 11:44 PM

Hand tools

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 09:09:48 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 10/19/2015 11:45 PM, Don Y wrote:

This got me to thinking what other tools I *might* (not *will*!)
consider buying from HF. I.e., the "possible buy" list is considerably
shorter than the "wouldn't buy" list!

The polished Pittsburgh wrench sets are good buy for any but the hardest
of uses...I find them easily hard enough jaws don't spread without
excessive force like using a cheater on one and they have a nice
feel...and, you've not lost a fortune if they're carried to field on
farm, say, and manage to lose one or two in the sand...

A professional mechanic in a clean shop may well elect SnapOn or MAC,
surely...

My son is a professional truck mechanic - suspensions.
The hardest use. Fire, garbage, crane trucks. All of them.
He uses a lot of HF Pittsburgh wrenches on a daily basis.
And HF prybars. And HF impact sockets. They replace the ones he
breaks.
He buys some Mac and Snapon from the truck occasionally, when he
needs a certain tool - impact wrenches eg. They are rebranded
Ingersoll Rand.
I only have a multi-tool from HF. It works well, but doesn't have
much working history. My hand and power tools are mostly Craftsman.
I have a Milwaukee Sawzall. Ridgid pipe wrenches.
I've bought maybe 3 sets of Craftsman wrenches in my life - when they
were on sale and came with a good tool box. If the HF wasn't 20 miles
I'd shop there for some tools. Just have to select the right ones.

Oren[_2_] October 20th 15 11:51 PM

Hand tools

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 15:20:41 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Our local Naperville Illinois police department encourages folks to use its parking lot for transactions.

Redneck Lives Matter.

DerbyDad03 October 21st 15 12:09 AM

Hand tools

wrote:

[...]

Many years ago, SWMBO and I were on our way to a Halloween party at a co-worker's
house. I had been there once before, during the day. Now it was night, and dark. I was on
the road, getting close, looking for a yellow ranch.

Hey, there it is! Yellow ranch, lots of cars, guys on the porch drinking beer. We park, we go in.
BTW, I'm wearing pajamas and a bathrobe, arm in a sling, "bloody" bandage around my head,
SWMBO is wearing a nurse's outfit. Now, I don't expect to know everyone at the party, but I don't
recognize anybody. In addition, not too many people are wearing costumes. That seemed
strange. We stroll through to the kitchen and I ask someone if they know where Joe or
Crystal are.

As it turns out, nobody knows Joe or Crystal because we are at the wrong party. After a brief
moment of embarrassment, one of the guys in the kitchen offered us a beer. Were hung out for
a little while, chatting with our "new friends", before heading down the road another mile or so
to the right house.

Vic Smith October 21st 15 12:42 AM

Hand tools

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 16:09:12 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

hehe.
When we had our first child we took him on the obligatory tour of
relatives when he was about a month old.
Drove to an aunt's house in the snow and bitter cold. Maybe -10F.
Snow blowing hard.
Pulled into the side driveway as usual and saw uncle Joe behind the
stormdoor of the kitchen entrance. I got out and went around to the
passenger door for my wife and baby, and guided the them to the door,
trying to block the cold wind. Uncle Joe opened the door wide and
said "C'mon, c'mon." Aunt Ruth was standing there in the kitchen,
and I was about to give her a kiss.
Of course it wasn't aunt Ruth, and it wasn't uncle Joe.
We were at their next door neighbors, who I knew from Adam.
Upon realizing that, I apologized, and we all had a good laugh.
I'm still a bit amazed how we were welcomed - or urged - into their
house.
But the bitter weather and seeing a woman carrying a baby must have
set off the right instincts in "uncle Joe."

Terry Coombs[_2_] October 21st 15 01:54 AM

Hand tools

Vic Smith wrote:
[...]

I have a set of their SAE ratcheting box wrenches . I try not to overload
them not because they're HF but because I want them to last . My toolboxes
are a polyglot of metric and SAE , Chinese and Craftsman , stuff my dad had
and stuff I bought for a specific task .

--
Snag

rbowman[_2_] October 21st 15 03:53 AM

Hand tools

On 10/20/2015 12:42 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
We have one, too. Sadly, my husband's shoulder isn't up to the task
of feeding in the brush anymore. I'd like to sell it, but he's
paranoid (probably rightly so) about craigslist and similar venues.

If you don't like the potential buyer, just give them an up close demo
of how the chipper works.