Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flooded dryer vent due to heavy rain

Is my dryer safe to use after the dryer vent flooded with water. We
removed the water with sa shop vac, but now the dryer smells very musty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/1/2015 9:44 PM, Mimi wrote:
Is my dryer safe to use after the dryer vent flooded with water. We
removed the water with sa shop vac, but now the dryer smells very musty.

Depends on what got wet. Just the vent hose or did it backup into the
machine? I'd crank it up empty to see if it works and that may dry out
the must odor. If circuit breaker trips I'd call a service tech if it
is fairly new, dump it if it is fairly old. Service call can be $75 to
$100 easily.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/1/2015 6:44 PM, Mimi wrote:
Is my dryer safe to use after the dryer vent flooded with water. We
removed the water with sa shop vac, but now the dryer smells very musty.

That depends on what actually got wet!

E.g., growing up, our dryer was in the basement with the vent above grade.
Had the vent "flooded with water", the dryer itself would have been
*swamped* with water -- ensuring that most of the mechanism. heating coils,
etc. were wetted in that action.

Here, our vent is up through the roof so a similar problem would
present.

My neighbor's vent directly out the side wall so there is less of
an issue. Though the vent is still "above" the level of the dryer
mechanism.

What sort of dryer -- gas or electric?

How did you "remove the water"? Just that which *surrounded* the dryer?
Or, did you disassemble the dryer and verify that there was no water
within?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 01:44:01 +0000, Mimi
wrote:

Is my dryer safe to use after the dryer vent flooded with water. We
removed the water with sa shop vac, but now the dryer smells very musty.

This is another of those reposts from years ago, but I thought I'd reply
for the sake of others. ANYTHING electrical that gets wet, MUST be
thoroughly dry before plugging it in, otherwise you risk more damage to
the device and risk yourself with shock or worse.

Remove the back panel, clean out all lint while you're at it, because
lint holds water and is probably what smells musty. Then blow a fan into
it until its completely dry. A dehumidifier wont hurt either!

Most electric devices that got wet, work perfectly fine as long as you
let it thoroughly dry before connecting it to power.

I obtained some computers that were in a flood. The hard drives and CD
drives and floppy drives (if they had one) were trash, but the main
board, memory and cards as well as the power supply worked fine. But I
left them sit in the hot sun for a full week before plugging them in.