Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT, cooking hamburgers, microwave stuff

OT, cooking hamburgers, microwave stuff

1) hamburgers, especially thin ones, in a skillet.

If I cook the hamburger on one side for say 4 minutes and then on the
other side for 4 minutes, how does that compare with 2 minutes on one
sdie then 2 to 4 minutes on the other than back to the first side.
Does it take only 2 minutes more to get the same result as 4 minutes in
a row, or has the first side cooled off by then, when it was on the
other side, so that I should cook it longer if I've flipped it too soon
earlier????

2) related question about microwave cooking. Say I cook something for
8 minutes in a microwave, take it out to eat, and after a few minutes I
decide it hasn't been cooked enough. When I put it back, do I cook it
for the same length of time I shortchanged it by earlier, or has it
cooled off in 5 minutes and I need to cook it longer?

Does it make a difference if I'm just heating something versus cooking
it? ISTM, it has to reach a certain temp or more to start cooking, so
I have to microwave it longer total, if I take it out in the middle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/17/2015 1:19 PM, micky wrote:
OT, cooking hamburgers, microwave stuff

1) hamburgers, especially thin ones, in a skillet.

If I cook the hamburger on one side for say 4 minutes and then on the
other side for 4 minutes, how does that compare with 2 minutes on one
sdie then 2 to 4 minutes on the other than back to the first side.
Does it take only 2 minutes more to get the same result as 4 minutes in
a row, or has the first side cooled off by then, when it was on the
other side, so that I should cook it longer if I've flipped it too soon
earlier????

When in contact with the pan it is forming a crust, caramelizing the
sugars. No reason to flip more than once. Doubt you'll notice any real
cooling.

2) related question about microwave cooking. Say I cook something for
8 minutes in a microwave, take it out to eat, and after a few minutes I
decide it hasn't been cooked enough. When I put it back, do I cook it
for the same length of time I shortchanged it by earlier, or has it
cooled off in 5 minutes and I need to cook it longer?

If you cook it 8 minutes, let it stand for 4 minutes. That allows for
more thorough cooking. If you put it back in, just estimate the time
left and try that. With the food rearranged it will shorten the time
needed.

Does it make a difference if I'm just heating something versus cooking
it? ISTM, it has to reach a certain temp or more to start cooking, so
I have to microwave it longer total, if I take it out in the middle.

Many variables there. If just heating, use a lower power setting in
most cases for a slightly longer time for a more even finished product.
Sugars and fats heat faster than pasta and can cause hot spots, thus
the waiting time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 17, 2015 at 1:19:15 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
[...]

Slow day there Micky?