Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I guess this more of a question for coin collectors

On 9/9/2015 7:58 PM, Dean Hoffman snorted:
On Wed, 09 Sep 2015 15:45:07 -0500, Stormin Mormon drunkenly slurred:
We had a car hopper here and I trapped him. I took a picture of a $2
bill and left it in the console.

Clever idea, the $2 bill

The poster is admitting in public (on an open
forum) that he prints counterfeit money.

There are $2 U.S. bills. The one I have has a portrait of
Thomas Jefferson. I think the idea was to get rid of the dollar bill.
Remember the Susan B. Anthony dollar coins?

I think the Susan B was supposed to last longer than
the paper bills. Save the treasury a lot of bother
printing the weaker dollar bills that don't last as
long.

Someone used to print political lampoon $3 bills,
and I had a lot of fun giving them out.

They may still be available.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I guess this more of a question for burglars than home owners

On 9/9/2015 10:13 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Unquestionably Confused wrote:
On 9/8/2015 8:50 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:
How often to you think a burglar actually uses a hidden key to break
in homes?

Our free range Rottweiler said that it rarely happened. Anything inside
the bounds of the Invisible Fence he was allowed to keep.

Inside the bounds of ..... I think not. That is not free range.
Our dog just roams our yards. No invisible bound.

An acre and a half was free range to him. I'm a good neighbor and some
people don't like dogs, some people are uneasy around big dogs (and
tipping the scales at better than 115 lbs - he qualified), and my dog(s)
belong on MY property, not yours.

In both instances - yes, it really happened - the meter reader and the
mail lady were both in areas inaccessible to the dog. They saw him and
he saw them. Instant fear on their part, got him into his guard mode.

Rottie's are herders and have to be trained to be attack dogs. They
will willing let you into the house but lordy, just try and leave.
Ain't gonna happen unless their owner agrees or they are socialized with
the "offender."

Roman legions bred them to herd cattle in their conquests to feed the
troops. Once they took prisoners, the dogs became their keepers.

Anyhow, my eighty year old neighbor lady heard, on both occasions, the
commotion - mainly from the captives, came over and called Rommel to her
side and allowed the prisoners to leave.g

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/9/2015 4:46 PM, Bob F wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/9/2015 10:03 AM, Bob F wrote:
philo wrote:

One of my former co-workers once told me someone broke into his
unlocked car.

A long time ago, a friend told me about his car radio being stolen,
but what annoyed him was what it would cost him to replace the
broken vent window on his car. Then, a week later, he was really
annoyed when someone broke in through the other vent window - even
though the first broken vent window and the radio had not yet been
replaced.
Easily avoided. See my other post about locking.

I read your other post. How does that avoid anything, if the thief
is too clueless to even check whether it's locked.

Most do check as the don't want to make noise breaking windows.. Most thefts
are valuables left in unlocked cars. The trick is to not
leave anything in there.

I will agree with that last sentence.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/9/2015 12:05 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 8 Sep 2015 21:44:07 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 9/8/2015 8:50 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:
How often to you think a burglar actually uses a hidden key to break
in homes?

Our free range Rottweiler said that it rarely happened. Anything inside
the bounds of the Invisible Fence he was allowed to keep.

We generally went along with him but did give the mail carrier and the
ComEd meter reader back. They are expensive to maintain.

Bah. My neighbor presently has two "rotties". They try to lick me to
death and slobber all over me.

Shsssh! Don't tell everyone the secret Oren. By and large they are big
babies and very sociable. Ours got along with everything and everyone
(other than a DHL driver who was scared to death of dogs and ran off
screaming like a little girl when he ran into him at our office where
he'd occasionally spend the day).

We had Miniature Schnauzers that would take your arm off if you got near
their food. Rommel? I could put steak in his bowl and then take it
away from him while he was eating.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/9/2015 3:20 PM, Mr. Emann wrote:
On 9/9/2015 3:02 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

We had a car hopper here and I trapped him. I took a picture of a $2
bill and left it in the console. When it was stolen I gave the cops
the picture and sent then to the shop and rob at the end of the
street. The bill was under the cash drawer and they remembered who
gave it to them. Once the cops knew who they were looking for, they
caught him for a whole string of burglaries.

Did you put an X or something on it to make it distinctive?

Do you not think the serial # of the bill would be enough?

Sure it would be but think about it...

On any given day, how many $2 bills pass through the register at just
about ANY store.

Cops doing a canvass can just ask "Taken and $2 bills today?" The only
place they have to look is until the till with the big and "odd" (read
$2 bills) since there is not a space for them in the cash drawer.

Smooth move! An alternative would be to hit a $1 or $5 bill with a
splash of fluorescent orange marking paint. Just something to make that
bill stand out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 09 Sep 2015 15:02:31 -0500, "Dean Hoffman"
wrote:

On Wed, 09 Sep 2015 10:49:43 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 10:40:27 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 9/9/2015 5:06 AM, philo wrote:

Finally:

One of my former co-workers once told me someone broke into his
unlocked
car.

Someone "entered" my unlocked car. Two different occasions. The first
time I lost a can of oil in the back seat. Other card near me that were
locked had broken windows, scratches, similar damage. I had none.

The second time the thief opened the glove box and pulled out some stuff
and left it on the floor. I do keep valuables in there, such as a
pencil and an old screwdriver.

IMO, keep the valuables out of the car and leave it unlocked. The pro
will steal it no matter what protection you think you have and the
amateur will cause damage if locked.

We had a car hopper here and I trapped him. I took a picture of a $2
bill and left it in the console. When it was stolen I gave the cops
the picture and sent then to the shop and rob at the end of the
street. The bill was under the cash drawer and they remembered who
gave it to them. Once the cops knew who they were looking for, they
caught him for a whole string of burglaries.

Did you put an X or something on it to make it distinctive?

The serial number was pretty distinctive. It was easy to read on a
8.5xq11 picture.

They had taken exactly one $2 bill in the proceeding week.

If this was a thief from far away, it might not have showed up there
but all of this was walking distance from his home.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 16:45:07 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

The poster is admitting in public (on an open
forum) that he prints counterfeit money.

I doubt you can call a black and white picture about twice the normal
size a counterfeit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 09 Sep 2015 16:31:15 -0500, Moe DeLoughan
wrote:

On 9/9/2015 10:10 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Seymore4Head wrote:
How often to you think a burglar actually uses a hidden key to break
in homes?

I don't have hidden key. But as far as I know the harder you hide
the easier to find it.

I've got one basically hidden in plain sight in my yard, in that the
object within which the key resides is in view. But everyone overlooks
it, because it is one of those utilitarian things that doesn't command
much attention. Plus, it is not near the house, much less the door. If
you need the key, you have to take a short walk through the yard - but
even in the deepest snow, you can access it. Amusing thing is, no
matter how many times I've told family where it the key is stashed,
nobody remembers to look there, because after awhile you just stop
noticing inconspicuous utilitarian objects. You see it, but it doesn't
register. Just like when you live near a church and you soon stop
hearing the church bells.

I know a guy who keeps a spare key in the shed, on top of one of the
trusses. He figures nobody can see it and it takes a bit of work to
reach it if you are not a basketball player. (8' 3.5" above FF)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Seymore4Head wrote:
[...]

I used to keep a spare key under the bee hive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 21:34:21 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

Bah. My neighbor presently has two "rotties". They try to lick me to
death and slobber all over me.

Shsssh! Don't tell everyone the secret Oren. By and large they are big
babies and very sociable. Ours got along with everything and everyone
(other than a DHL driver who was scared to death of dogs and ran off
screaming like a little girl when he ran into him at our office where
he'd occasionally spend the day).

We had Miniature Schnauzers that would take your arm off if you got near
their food. Rommel? I could put steak in his bowl and then take it
away from him while he was eating.

I have a book with photos of dogs under water in pools. One is a
Rottie.

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Flrbizarrebazaar.files.wordpress.co m%2F2012%2F02%2Fa-rottweiler-swims-around-026.jpg&f=1

https://tinyurl.com/ooowsmn

I have a 25# African Basenji with a Napoleon complex. He will puff up
and growl at the Rotties next. G

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/10/2015 9:24 AM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 21:34:21 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

[snip]

I have a book with photos of dogs under water in pools. One is a
Rottie.

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Flrbizarrebazaar.files.wordpress.co m%2F2012%2F02%2Fa-rottweiler-swims-around-026.jpg&f=1

https://tinyurl.com/ooowsmn

I have a 25# African Basenji with a Napoleon complex. He will puff up
and growl at the Rotties next. G

Thanks for sharing. We had - when Rommel (adopted) came home - a
Miniature Schnauzer that weighed all of 13 pounds sopping wet. Rommel
entered the house and Heidi went right for his throat - literally.
She's hanging there and Rommel's looking at me like "What did I do?
What is this thing now attached to my neck?"

After that they got along pretty well but Heidi still ruled the roost
until she passed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Pets are like their owners. I believe good pets come from good owners.
Small dogs are more trouble, always yapping and high strung. I go to
free run dog park once every day. All kinda dogs come there. Some are
known each other, some are new. Our dog "Walter" (he really looks like
Walter Mathaw) always runs away from little guys bugging him. Never had
pure bred dogs, always rescued dogs. When I had Walter's DNA tested, two
dominant DNA were Husky and Collie, then 4 more DNAs, German Kishond,
Rodesian Ridgeback, Welsh terrier, Whippet. He has blue/white eyes like
Husky, Coat is like Collie. Weighs ~70#
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 09:56:03 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

I have a 25# African Basenji with a Napoleon complex. He will puff up
and growl at the Rotties next. G

Pets are like their owners. I believe good pets come from good owners.
Small dogs are more trouble, always yapping and high strung. I go to
free run dog park once every day. All kinda dogs come there. Some are
known each other, some are new. Our dog "Walter" (he really looks like
Walter Mathaw) always runs away from little guys bugging him. Never had
pure bred dogs, always rescued dogs. When I had Walter's DNA tested, two
dominant DNA were Husky and Collie, then 4 more DNAs, German Kishond,
Rodesian Ridgeback, Welsh terrier, Whippet. He has blue/white eyes like
Husky, Coat is like Collie. Weighs ~70#

My Basenji is a "bark less dog". They have weird vocal cords, so they
yodel... but very seldom. No barking. My wife can make him yodel.
Basenjis are one on the most difficult dogs to train. They are head
strong, stubborn -- just like me Groom themselves much like cats do
and very independent. They can be a terror. Read a story about one
that tore up an apartment. Owner drove him to the store -- then he
tore up the vehicle interior. They need room, so are not suited for
apartment dwellers.

They are sight hounds originally from the Congo in Africa. Once
thought to be extinct until the Brit's save them.

http://www.dogbreedworld.com/basenji?images=basenji&i=8
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Seymore4Head" wrote in message

How often to you think a burglar actually uses a hidden key to break
in homes?

Personally, I like to smash windows and steal ****.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

"Oren" wrote in message ...

On A burglar, most, will not enter a home is they believe the home owner
is armed. Fact.

Oren is a turd burglar.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 13:42:39 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

A burglar, most, will not enter a home is they believe the home owner
is armed. Fact.

Except every burglar that believes he can sell stolen guns. All of them aim to
find the houses with guns. Fact.

Sure as long as the home owner is _not_ home. An armed home owner
puts fear in a crook. Studies of prisoners say the same thing.

Six former law enforcement officers on my street. Which house will
the crooks select?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote in :

Never use a place you heard about somewhere, especially in public. Never
use an item sold for the purpose of hiding keys.

When we lived in the country, we let our dog -- a large Australian Shepherd not friendly with
strangers -- run loose when we were away. The spare key was on his collar...

Posted to alt.home.repair

https://www.facebook.com/t.seput

I think the Susan B was supposed to last longer than
the paper bills. Save the treasury a lot of bother
printing the weaker dollar bills that don't last as
long.

Someone used to print political lampoon $3 bills,
and I had a lot of fun giving them out.

They may still be available.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 22:58:42 -0500, tony944 wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...
On 9/9/2015 7:58 PM, Dean Hoffman snorted:
On Wed, 09 Sep 2015 15:45:07 -0500, Stormin Mormon drunkenly slurred:
We had a car hopper here and I trapped him. I took a picture of a $2
bill and left it in the console.

Clever idea, the $2 bill

The poster is admitting in public (on an open
forum) that he prints counterfeit money.

There are $2 U.S. bills. The one I have has a portrait of
Thomas Jefferson. I think the idea was to get rid of the dollar bill.
Remember the Susan B. Anthony dollar coins?

https://www.facebook.com/t.seput

I think the Susan B was supposed to last longer than
the paper bills. Save the treasury a lot of bother
printing the weaker dollar bills that don't last as
long.

They just confused people if I remember correctly. The
edge had an odd shape plus the coin was a slightly different
color than a quarter. Neither made it distinguishable enough
for busy people.

Someone used to print political lampoon $3 bills,
and I had a lot of fun giving them out.

They may still be available.

Protect Your Home From Burglars Uncle Monster[_2_] Home Repair 0 May 29th 15 09:28 AM
Burglars alarme and home security Rebel1 Home Repair 0 April 22nd 12 04:26 PM
What are the most effective deterrents to home burglars? Ablang Home Ownership 0 December 20th 08 07:40 PM
Home Owners....... KaDa Home Repair 0 July 6th 06 03:02 AM
Home Owners................. KaDa Home Repair 0 July 5th 06 12:13 AM